Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/13/2009  (Read 12551 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/13/2009
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
The Price is Right - Jan. 13, 2008
Production #4582K - Taped Nov. 4, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Tamiko

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood w/Amanda Shiflett
Wearing: Attitudes

1   3 Donna Karan Ladies' Coats (A, B&R)
DAMIEN 999 THERESA 800 MATTHEW *1100 ERICA 525 ($2325)

Matthew plays LUCKY $EVEN for a Chrysler PT Cruiser (Std., AT, Mats, Prot, Stereo)(T)

Picks:7 6 5 0  
Price:   $1 9 7 8 4
Bucks:7 5 4 1 0LOSS

2   (Garmin Street Pilot) GPS Receiver (T)
+Damien 500 +Theresa *501 STEPHEN 999 +Erica 279 ($900)
STUPID BID

Theresa from Coronado, CA plays PUNCHBOARD

Cherry-Scented Gift Set$28LOWER$17*(12)500
Portable Speakers60HIGHER80*(16)100
Daisy Duffel Bag45HIGHER59*(38)1000BAILOUT
Bluetooth MP3 Sunglasses220LOWER199*(45)50

3   Deering Boston Banjo (Andy Row demonstrating)
+Damien 2200 KIM 1100 Stephen 1200 +Erica *1321 ($2145)

Erica plays DOUBLE PRICES for a Rhino 450 Offroad Vehicle (A)

$7999PICK
($7999)WIN!
$6995

SHOWDOWN #1
$2,256Theresa40 + 40.80Through to Showcase Round
2,325Matthew85 stay.85
10,144Erica55 + 40.95

4   Dov Valencia Rhodium/Diamond Earings (A-in the Row)
+Damien 3000 Kim 2000 Stephen *1200 RICHARD 499 ($1775)

Stephen plays BULLSEYE for an O.W. Lee Chatpit Patio Group and a Holland Grill Epic Gas Grill (A, B&T)($9659)

(1) Clorox Disinfecting Wipes4 x 2.99   $11.96   WIN!
(2) (Blue Bonnet) Margarine (4 sticks)
(3) (Willy Wonka Nerds) Candy (single)
(4) (Mott's) Cinnamon Applesauce
(5) (Kiwi) Black Shoe Polish

5   Computer Desk/Hutch (B)
+Damien 1200
Kim 1149
SUZANNE 1154
Richard 900
OVERBID
OVERBID
($550)
STUPID 2nd BIDSTUPID 3rd BID

Suzanne plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a Ford Focus S (Std., 2.0l, Stereo, AC, Seat, AT)(A&R)($16,505)

$12,610 $13,980 $15,998 $17,950
WIN!

On that last One-Bid, Damien committed a sin - underbidding by a buck. That is bad enough, but what's in store pales in comparison - an lifetime appointment with Mimi at the "First Four" Breakfast Club. One more slip and Damien's doomed. Can he recover and fend off this horrid fate?

6   Ocean Kayak Molokini Kayak (T)
+Damien 400 Kim 700 ELIZABETH 900 Richard *1000 ($2706)

Damien heads off to the clubhouse while Richard from Canyon Lake, CA plays 2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1 for Hamilton Beach Ecclectics Small Appliances (B) and a (Panasonic) 46" Plasma HDTV (R)($2728; Total not announced)

SetupFreePicks
8 2 68 2 6– – 6
$ $ $$ $ 98 2 9
3 8 93 8 –3 8 –WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$5,434Richard75 stay.75Through to Showcase Round
11,434Stephen90 stay.90
17,055Suzanne40 + 65OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Stephen has the honor.

SC1-Erica Golden West Morrison Billiard Table
(Super Shot) Arcade Basketball Game (T)
Home Racing Simulator Package (A)
BID$14,221
PRICE18,385
DIFF–4,164
TOTAL$28,529
SC2-Stephen Trip to Las Vegas (Lucky Jets; 6n @ MGM - in a penthouse)(R)
$5000 (B)
(Sony Handycam) DVD Camcorder/(Canon SureShot) Digital Camera (T)
BID$35,000
PRICE22,060
DIFFOVER

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6 ( with 1 Bailout)
Total Winnings: $74,921

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:53:33 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/13/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
-L7: Amazingly, I guessed $19,884 for a big win - but that won't ever happen for real on this setup. I give it a negative for the obvious - you may be educated, but obviously you don't know the trends of this game, sir. I wanted at least a 5 from you, maybe a 2, but not THAT.
+/-Punchy: Nothing at or over $5k has even been punched yet. :(
+/-DP: What's this doing here? :/ And even worse, green screen pillars!! Can't wait to see those gone.
+Bullsy: Just how I won it!
+TTM: Set up relatively easy, actually.
+241: Another game we haven't seen in awhile! That makes up for DP.
+/-SCs: Presentation was fine with one problem (no, the cash description was fine)...it was just so sparse!! An extended game room and a super-jacked-up trip. We only get these oddities once a season. Cameras wrapping up the day shows exactly how the budget somehow seized today, even though no cars were over 20k...

B/B+ (86%), dollar streak also over today.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:47:52 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
Whoo hoo---awesome lineup with awesome slotting today. Y'know Double Prices is sooooo much more tolerable when it is played in the first half. I wonder why they don't do that more often? So seeing DP 3rd today was great (what wasn't great was those green pillars behind the ATV--those sucked). 2 for the Price of 1 sorta took me by surprise when it showed up last today, not sure why but it was good to see another game we haven't seen in a while (like Gas yesterday).

What in the world was Stephen thinking when he bid $35k on that showcase? Honestly, I was somewhat surprised it was $22k plus, but seeing that was a Penthouse stay offered I wasn't that surprised.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
Drew seemed to have a lot of little flubs today that kinda bugged me, but he totally made up for it with that joke about all neutered cats liking his voice.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
I have to say that I like how they have special guests for some of the IUFBs. That's one change this season that's actually a pretty good idea.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Suzanne
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
Timings today (with "official timings" in parentheses, thanks gr):
Lucky $even (4.5) - 4:32
Punch-a-bunch (5.5) - 6:07
Double Prices (3) - 3:03
Bullseye (5) - 4:08 (that's what an exacta win will do)
That's Too Much! (4.5) - 4:42 (over a full min longer than last week's playing)
2 For The Price Of 1 (4.5) - 4:01
Total time: 26:33 (27) (over a full minute longer than any of the other 3 lineups I've timed so far. Could that be due to shorter than usual showcases today?)

Also, Nick, to answer your question about the bumpers, there were less of them than usual today. Or rather, instead of audience shots, we had shots of the contestant celebrating after the win - we had lots of good wins today! Makes me wonder if they only show the audience after a loss because we don't want to see depressed Drew. We spent 8 seconds with the audience after the Lucky $even loss, but spent a good 10 seconds each with the contestant and Drew after the Bullseye and TTM wins, and overall probably just under a minute of bumper time. Then again, we seemed to have lots of extra time to kill today - we got some extra interaction and jokes toward the end and even a full showcase rules explanation! I'll monitor more in the future, but I estimate the bumpers take up about a minute of mine.

Some additional comments:

Solid lineup today! It flowed well, and was SO nice to see 241 pop up sixth - I was definitely expecting the umpteenth playing of One Right Price when they walked to the doors. Surprised they'd use Double Prices on this lineup though, when it times to half a minute short so they could have done Most Expensive or One Wrong Price instead. It was, however, nice to see Dubbs pop up in the first half for a change of pace - rob's right; it feels less annoying there. And we DID seem to have LOTS of extra time. We've been seeing some solid lineups recently - one thing that worries me a little is that these lineups were written before the meh Christmas week lineups were written, but hopefully we continue along this lineup track instead of that one.

You know, it's saying something when I can say that was the friendliest Lucky $even setup in a while. It still wasn't overly friendly though. And it was still lost, because every once in a while you gotta expect there to be a contestant who doesn't know there aren't 0's in the price.

I found it funny when Drew pointed out the irony of a contestant whose shirt read "I want to play Plinko or Cliffhangers" getting stuck with Double Prices. Also, that may have been the earliest reveal of Double Prices in the game's history - certainly the earliest host reveal! Still, Drew is good at pointing out ironic moments like that.

Drew was also VERY on the ball in That's Too Much with the contestant and making his neutered cat joke. When contestants want to talk like she did, he is getting better at interacting with them and also better at making appropriate jokes when it applies. Drew is really beginning to shine in the contestant interaction department most of the time, or at least make great strides, and it is good to see. I hope it continues.

Speaking of That's Too Much!, anyone who still hates the game after THAT playing of it is crazy. THAT's what it's all about, folks. The fast pace, the tension, the excitement, all broken with the contestant scream of "THAT'S TOO MUCH!" (which Drew still has to work a little better at hammering home, but he's getting better). That was an excellent contestant scream today. It's also one of the best true pricing tests on the show. Also, for the record, folks, That's Too Much! is now on a winning streak. That's right, it does happen sometimes. We should play THIS every week instead of Money Game.

You know, the second half today was full of exciting wins. Between the Bullseye exacta, the exciting TTM win, that Race Game playing yesterday...we've been seeing some great contestants this week.

There weren't really Drewcases in the traditional sense of the term today (though please stop personalizing the first showcase), but there were interesting prizes to be sure. I like the idea of new prizes on the show, but come on, a game room showcase could really potentially be awkward if they get the wrong pair of contestants up there. I really thought that had the potential to be 12k or something like that, even though that never happens nowadays, and I just didn't know so I decided to be conservative with my bid. On the other hand, that Las Vegas showcase looked AMAZING. I mean luxury hotel, private jet, butlers, $5,000 to spend in VEGAS - just an AMAZING package. Too bad he way overbid it - he forgot one critical thing: just a trip alone cannot even be close to $35,000, especially one that's only from CA to Vegas. Still wow, randomness. It's certainly making for some unpredictable CSSes lately, which makes things  more fun.

Above average show today - due to some exciting wins, but also mostly due to Drew, who has REALLY been on the ball these past couple shows - keep up the good work! Remember, your comedic strength lies in things like the "neutered cat" joke today.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Uh, Kev, I did some recalculations and TTM's timing is likely 5 minutes; the timing of today's show is probably 27.5.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:29:20 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
I don't see $19,784 as too friendly. One dip into a 3 and you're doomed.

MOD NOTE: - No YouTube links in the Recap Forum. Send it to him via PM. - JC
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:25:14 AM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
I gotta say - the green screen back drop behind the offroad vehicle in Double Prices was disturbing.  I haven't been watching the show religiously in Drew's fall decline but wow, that is craptastic.  On the flip side, I just got an HDTV for myself a couple of weeks ago, and wow, TPiR looks great in HD (when it isn't being green screened).  

Looking forward to the return of square-glasses Drew in a few weeks.

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
Bring on the December-taped shows!

I sure would have liked to have been told what those coats offered in the first One Bid were made of.  Yeah, I know, none of them were fur, but still...

I would suggest to you, Drew, that instead of making such a scene out of the contestant punching out holes in the Punchboard, you pay attention to the order in which he punches the holes.

Drew, please stop getting so excited over stuff that you forget to do things and make yourself look like an idiot as a result of it.

Bah, the stupid green screen pillars were back in Double Prices.  At least the background wasn't in motion.  Still, I hope that's the last we see of them.

Stephen and Suzanne were both enjoyable contestants.  I especially liked how Suzanne was so familiar with That's too Much! to have actually played it correctly, yelling "that's too much" instead of saying "stop" or something which would have resulted in Drew just doing stupid pointing at the sign followed by a pathetic joke.

Why wasn't the total price of the prize package in 2 for the Price of 1 announced?  Please tell me that was just a mistake today and not a permanent change.

Forget the flawed writing of the Showcases today.  The Showcases themselves were just plain weird.  Why did they make the first Showcase seem so small compared to the second?  I couldn't believe the first Showcase ended with the racing package.  I thought for sure a stupid quip from Drew asking if that was all was to come.  Why not have at least separate the pool table and basketball game into two separate reveals to make it look like there just aren't two prizes in the Showcase?  The second Showcase was interesting, but it just seemed so weird for this one to be so elaborate next to the previous one which seemed too basic.  If there's any credit I can give about them today, it's that the cash didn't have a mind-numbingly stupid plug.  Thank you.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
L7:  OK, guys, enough of the impossible L7 setups.

One-Bid #2:  Yay!  Backstage shot! :-)

Dubble:  I'm actually pleased to see this game today.  Of course, I'm only pleased when either it gets played in the first half or it gets played for a car.  Obviously, somebody forgot to tell the camerapeople not to move the cameras when green screens are in use.

TTM!:  Suzanne did it perfectly.  She yelled out the command without prompting.  She knew the Focus was a cheapo.  Just perfect.

Showcases:  ... is that it?!  Either both of these showcases are sexed up or outrageously cheap.

My showcase bids:
Game room--$15,207
Vegas--$11,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
I agree about the backdrop used in Double Prices.  It was just really ugly and did nothing for the vehicle.

Very strange to have cameras be the last prize in a showcase and for the first showcase have nothing but game things (usually there's at least one other type of prize).  I was expecting the last part of the showcase to say that he'd be able to drive whatever car chosen for the showcase while there and that the cameras would be a fakeout.  I must say that the picture graphic at the end of that showcase was pretty cool although the showcase itself was a little odd since it was esentially just one big prize.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
We haven't seen Lucky $even won in a month, but it could have been won today if Matthew had picked 5 for the last two numbers.  I was amazed that a large part of the audience was shouting "zero!" One thing that interested me is how Drew said Matthew could "pick any number between 0 and 9."  Didn't Drew purposefully act stupid on the 2/29/2008 MDS playing of the game to discourage the contestant from picking zero?

Personally, I thought it was nice to see a pretty expensive SP come up today, a $199 pair of MP3 sunglasses.

It's nice that we see Double Prices show up in the first half for the first time this season.  I really didn't like the green screen backdrops for the off-road vehicle, the only good thing I have to say about them is that they chose an image that wasn't as dizzying as the one that was used for a Chevrolet Impala back on November 18.

Like Pick-a-Number, I can't wait until they decide to play Double Prices as the first game of the day, it hasn't happened since March 14, 1997.

Stephen played Bullseye very well, and we saw some rather unique products in the setup, some margarine, a huge jar of applesauce, Willy Wonka candies, and for the first time in several years, shoe polish.

It was very nice to see 2 For the Price of 1 pop up today.

I really think that the oversized asterisks in 2 For the Price of 1 were cobbled from the "37 Years" decorations that flanked door #2 during premiere week.  The setup of the game itself was pretty easy, in my opinion.

The showcases were just weird since they seemed so short, but they had very expensive prizes.  Although I did like the fact that the game on that racing simulator was Need for Speed: Carbon, something that I enjoyed playing (I have since sold it because I didn't play it or like it anymore).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
We haven't seen Lucky $even won in a month, but it could have been won today if Matthew had picked 5 for the last two numbers.  I was amazed that a large part of the audience was shouting "zero!" One thing that interested me is how Drew said Matthew could "pick any number between 0 and 9."

I wouldn't expect the audience to know that zero is never used in the game, and technically, it is a valid number as it has been used in the game; but Roger would never use it, and Roger's not putting together the games anymore, and after Adam made Bonkers! last week correct with with all the paddles higher, I thought for a moment after Matthew had guessed zero that there is the slight chance that zero could show up since Adam is not necessarily playing by Roger's rules.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
Lucky $even:  Too bad! :-(
Punch A Bunch:  Good thing Theresa walked with the $1,000!
Double Prices:  Good job! :-)
Bullseye:  Got it on the first try - awesome! :-D
That's Too Much:  Nice job! :-)
2 For The Price Of 1:  Good job and good pick for the free number! :-)

Good show overall, IMHO. :-)
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!