Author Topic: Barker to promote book on TPIR?  (Read 37562 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Barker to promote book on TPIR?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »
Also, with today's time constraints, we might not see much of Bob.
True.  Hell, the whole show might have to be quickies.  Once Bob comes out, the audience will cheer and likely won't stop cheering for quite a while. 

Bob should just do what Johnny Carson when he went on Letterman....walk out, wave, then laugh and walk away. :oldlol:

Offline gr8daynegb

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 01:34:02 AM »
You know we are very likely at worst to get a "Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered"

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:27 AM »
From a ratings stand-point they'd be stupid NOT to have him promote the book on the show. Bob making just one appearance on the show could tell the execs and producers A LOT about the ratings. It would probably give them an idea as to how many viewers no longer watch simply because Bob is the host for one. It could also open up a door for new/former viewers to come (or come back) to the show...tuning in to see Bob could let people see how much Drew has improved (assuming he keeps up his Christmas week performances with the new tapings). I for one am uber excited to see Bob on TPiR again, even if it's not hosting.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
I will be surprised as all hell if Bob makes an appearance on the show at this point.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »
I doubt very much he would. Ol' Barker cut his ties with the show the day he retired, as that's the way he wanted it. We are much more likely to see him sit down with Ellen, for a 7 minute interview.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »
Agreed.  I bet this is more rumor than fact.  Although it would be kinda neat if it happened.

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
Did anyone notice that, in addition to the confirmed guest appearance on TPIR, Drew Carey wrote one of the two blurbs for the book jacket?

“ The readers of this book will be happy to find, as I was, that Bob Barker did more than host The Price Is Right for thirty-five years. A lot  more, as it turns out. What a career! God bless you, Bob Barker. And I’ll try not to wreck the car.” —Drew Carey, host, The Price Is Right

The other one is by Alex Trebek.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »
Well, I'm hoping to see Bob on TPIR again, too.

Does it occur to anybody that what if his appearance on the show might actually be a pre-recorded segment probably in the studio (minus the audience) or maybe at his home?

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
The closest you'll see Bob on that stage again, is by having his book as a small item prize, much as the current video game is.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
It says it's a confirmed appearance on TPiR. It has been reported recently that TPiR would have some special guests on the show in the near future...maybe Bob is one of them.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »
It says it's a confirmed appearance on TPiR.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that...and I'll still be extremely surprised if it's true.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pleenko

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »
On one hand, it's surprising. On the other hand, let's not forget that Bob is trying to sell a book -- a book that his publisher advanced him a pretty penny to do in hopes of recouping said pretty penny upon publication.

Where else but on TPIR (in the publisher's eyes) could they target their core audience? Yeah, people will see him on "Ellen" or "Bonnie Hunt" and such, but will that result in big sales? Maybe. But not like a plug on TPIR would.

Also, let's be honest, Bob has always shown a knack for promoting himself. He knows when he appears on Larry King to discuss lawsuits that he'd better not permit calls or e-mails from viewers challenging his recollections. He knows which daytime talk shows will throw him soft balls, too. And he knows he's still exalted by TPIR viewers. So a quick, possibly pre-taped Price cameo is a $lam dunk.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:42:42 AM »
I doubt his appearance will be pre-taped. I predict he'll come out, say a few words about the book, say some insincere words about what a great job Drew is doing, and split.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline pleenko

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »
Methinks you're right. And we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought he didn't seriously miss a standing (and thundering ... and chant-infested ... and protracted) ovation. I mean, after a half century, that had to become like oxygen.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »
Where else but on TPIR (in the publisher's eyes) could they target their core audience? Yeah, people will see him on "Ellen" or "Bonnie Hunt" and such, but will that result in big sales? Maybe. But not like a plug on TPIR would.

I don't know about the Bonnie Hunt Show, but two sure hits would be Ellen & Live with Regis and Kelly. Those are two of the highest-rated talk shows on TV right now. Ellen skews the younger folks, while Regis & Kelly, I'm sure skew some of the older folks. Dr. Phil & Oprah are two more, but do we really see Bob Barker promoting his life memoirs on Dr. Phil? Oprah - maybe, she may even put his book in her book club! Who knows....