Author Topic: Barker to promote book on TPIR?  (Read 37382 times)

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
Barker to promote book on TPIR?
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
Please don't attack me for asking if Barker will appear on TPIR, since I know we've been through that many times already!  However, I saw this on Wikipedia, and then found the following document:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/_assets/busresources/catalogs/centerstreetss09.pdf

Look on page 7, and we find that Bob will appear on the show to promote the book sometime.  I was surprised by this since I hadn't heard anything around here about it.  Can someone in the know confirm this, or is it somehow erroneous?

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
Re: Barker to promote book on TPIR?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
Interesting...  It says "Confirmed guest appearance on The Price is Right, and national morning shows"

Hmm, I wonder how this has been "confirmed"?

It definitely would be fun to see and sounds like an interesting book!
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline Trevtpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »
Bob and Drew together on the show?  I'd love that!!

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
Interesting...  It says "Confirmed guest appearance on The Price is Right, and national morning shows"

Hmm, I wonder how this has been "confirmed"?

It definitely would be fun to see and sounds like an interesting book!

Hmmm as well, Interesting! The book is available on Amazon for pre order for like 13-14 bucks and the audio book has Bob as the reader and is around 20. Plan release date is April 09
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline pinball777

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
That would be nice to see Bob again. I don't know if this will happen, it won't air for a while. Also, with today's time constraints, we might not see much of Bob. Still, this will be awesome if Bob does appear again and say something about the show that it will go on for a long time and good luck to Drew along with his book.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »
If Bob does make an appearance, I hope it doesn't end up the way it usually does for former hosts wishing the new ones good luck.  Some examples of this include how Pat Sajak walked onto the set of Bob Goen's first day of daytime Wheel, Dick Clark making a "good luck" videotaped message for John Davidson on his first day of The $100,000 Pyramid, and Monty Hall completely blowing Billy Bush away on the 2003 version of Let's Make a Deal.  If this is the case, then people will probably be reminded of how different Drew is from Bob and that won't be good for the ratings.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:12:06 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
It ought to be interesting to read Bob Barker's view of his Price Is Right career. Regardless of what he says, however, I think his credibility will be suspect.

Offline PlinkoChip

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
This is definitely something I want to see when it happens.
Insert signature here.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
I wonder if this would happen during a SC.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
It'll be nice to see Bob back, even just for a guest appearance.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
I, for one, wish to see how Bob handles his cameo - especially if it's a walk-on. Just so long as he doesn't try to snatch the microphone from Drew like Syd tried on Bob, we'll be good.

I hope it doesn't end up the way it usually does for former hosts wishing the new ones good luck - some examples of this include how Pat Sajak walked onto the set of Bob Goen's first day of daytime Wheel, Dick Clark making a "good luck" videotaped message for John Davidson on his first day of The $100,000 Pyramid, and Monty Hall completely blowing Billy Bush away on the 2003 version of Let's Make A Deal.

If this is the case, then people will probably be reminded of how different Drew is from Bob and that won't be good for the ratings.

Goen's Wheel Of Fortune lasted two years despite Sajak's welcome because it was a solid and proven format despite the cheapness, sir, so your theory is kind of shot.

As for Pyramid '91, I believe that was partly a victim of bad timing, although "Double Trouble" and "Gamble For A Grand" - not to mention those ugly-looking monitors for Season Two's main game - tried to improve a format that didn't need such a thing.

Let's Make A Deal '03...well, that was going to suck anyway after the first episode aired - the first deal involved three men in skirts, not to mention the utterly-tasteless "Zonks" that had wrecking balls dropped onto beautiful cars!

And Monty? Well, Monty Hall blew Billy Bush away just by entering the room. Too bad that woman lost out again...
=========================================
My point is, people love a show despite the host and changes. Heck, even the budget takes a backseat when the show is enjoyable.

People enjoyed Doug Davidson's New Price is Right '94 just as those in the UK enjoyed Bob Warman's New Price is Right '89 - because they were fun. Sure, the total of both shows' runs was only 110 episodes - but that's 110 episodes of goodness with hosts that enjoyed their work and got better as the series progressed!

...This is not to say I enjoyed Temptation or Crosswords. They weren't fun since the formats sucked (one was a complete ruining of a classic while the other was just a waste of airtime) and neither host acted genuine (especially Ty "Cardboard" Treadway).
=========================================
Well, that's all from me. Sorry for getting off-topic.
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »
Goen's Wheel Of Fortune lasted two years despite Sajak's welcome because it was a solid and proven format despite the cheapness, sir, so your theory is kind of shot.

As for Pyramid '91, I believe that was partly a victim of bad timing, although "Double Trouble" and "Gamble For A Grand" - not to mention those ugly-looking monitors for Season Two's main game - tried to improve a format that didn't need such a thing.

Wouldn't the host also be a deciding factor in one watching the show or not?  I personally thought Goen did a good job, but maybe the viewers of the show back then thought he didn't or would never hold a candle to Sajak and didn't watch.  Not to mention that Goen didn't have much of a track record at the time (Perfect Match, The Home Shopping Game, and Blackout). 

John Davidson didn't seem to grasp the game as well as Dick Clark did on Pyramid, and maybe that soured viewers who enjoyed the show with Clark at the helm.

About TNPIR '94, maybe there were people who were not soured by the dramatic changes from the daytime show, but because Doug was bad in their eyes, compared to Bob?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:40:51 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
I can put up more quickie games to see this.   I think it would be great.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
We're wishing Bob was back more and more everyday.  The last thing I want to see is Bob actually on the show for a few seconds only to be gone again with none of his brilliant hosting surrounding.  I can't see a whole lot of good being produced if Bob made any sort of appearance on the show now, especially with Roger being gone.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »
We're wishing Bob was back more and more everyday.  The last thing I want to see is Bob actually on the show for a few seconds only to be gone again with none of his brilliant hosting surrounding.  I can't see a whole lot of good being produced if Bob made any sort of appearance on the show now, especially with Roger being gone.

Yeah, it would be like a big, giant tease, and with the way the whole situation with Roger went down, would Bob even WANT to?