Author Topic: Rod's Battle With Weight Loss  (Read 3822 times)

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Rod's Battle With Weight Loss
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
I was watching a video of TPIR on YouTube and it showed Rod a little slimmer. It was on the last show that Bob had dark hair. In the video, Rod announced that he lost 69 lbs.  I was trying to recall if Rod ever lost anymore than 69 lbs. and if there is a video clip of him somewhere when he appeared slim and trim?

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Rod's Battle With Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
Unfortunately, he lost a LOT of weight due to colon cancer. Beyond that, I don't know if he lost any more weight voluntarily.

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »
Yes, I knew Rod had lost weight, due to suffering from colon cancer. But, I was for sure way before this ever happened, around the time he was hired to replace Johnny, he went on a diet and it seems to me, he did, at one point, lose about 100 pounds, or at least I think he did.  Like I said, I have seen just the one video on YouTube during Bob's last dark hair show, where Rod announced he lost 69 pounds.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
Rod sure looked pretty thin on the 25th Anniversary Special too and that was in 1996.

Offline sunniesocal

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
I didn't know Rod wanted to lose weight.  His large size kind of went with his large colorful personality! 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
Rod's weight used to be a running gag between him and Bob for years.  Bob would ask him for diet updates pretty frequently before he did his on-camera calldown for the day.  I distinctly remember one time when he was trying to lose 100 pounds, he told Bob that it was going pretty well, because he'd taken a trip recently and had "already lost 10 pounds of luggage."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
Rod's weight used to be a running gag between him and Bob for years.

One of my favorite instances of that was the time Rod was doing the prize description for a treadmill, while walking on said treadmill.  Bob was laughing and when Rod finished Bob said something like "I wasn't sure if you could treadmill and talk at the same time."  There's a clip of that on YouTube if I'm not mistaken.
Bazinga!

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:06:32 AM »
I remember that for about a season, one of the frequent grocery items was a meal replacement bar called "Pounds Off!", and I believe Rod made a point of mentioning he used them in his diet.

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
One of my favorite instances of that was the time Rod was doing the prize description for a treadmill, while walking on said treadmill. There's a clip of that on YouTube if I'm not mistaken.

brtsimpson, I have been doing searches on YouTube for any Rod Roddy TPIR episodes about his weight loss, or what you mentioned (the treadmill) but, have not been able to find anything, except for that one ep. where he said "Bob, I'd like to tell you that I lost 70 lbs, but that's not true, I still have 1 to go."

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
brtsimpson, I have been doing searches on YouTube for [snip] what you mentioned (the treadmill) but, have not been able to find anything.

Me and my trusty Plinko stick Favorites menu are here to help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtW_ehAg9v0
Bazinga!

Online temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »
...or better yet, the search feature here! Rod on the treadmill and a funny moment where a contestant comments in Russian about Rod's diet. :biggrin:

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,7040.0.html

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,7743.0.html