Author Topic: How many pricing games are truly "quickies"?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
How many pricing games are truly "quickies"?
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »
Around here the phrases"1 prize quickie" and "2 prize quickie" are as much a part of our vocabulary as he or she. But are all 1 prize games and all 2 prize games truly quickies? I don't think so. I'm going to list the games I truly consider quickies based on timing, feel, and design. I will then explain why I don't consider certain 1 prize or 2 prize games quickies.

True quickies: Double Prices, Side by Side, Squeeze Play, Flip Flop, Switch?, 1 Right Price, Bargain Game, Do the Math.

Here are some 1 prize and 2 prize games I don't consider quickies and why:

Freeze Frame: There are 8 possible prices to choose from and to play the game correctly a contestant must take the time to look over and consider the possibilities. Furthermore, sometimes a contestant will have to wait for the correct price to come into the frame.

Pushover and Double Cross: Again multiple options to consider and contestants need to take the time to think it over properly. Carefulness is also important in Pushover given the can't pull rule.

Coming or Going: Alright this 1 is clearly meant to be a quickie and usually it plays out like 1 but the reason I don't consider Coming or Going a true quickie is because it's possible for a contestant to elongate Coming or Going by playing with or fiddling with the price setter before finally making a choice.

The big 1 though is Freeze Frame. That's the game that got me thinking maybe we're too quick to automatically call a 1 prize or 2 prize game a "quickie"
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: How many pricing games are truly "quickies"?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:36:15 AM »
the reason I don't consider Coming or Going a true quickie is because it's possible for a contestant to elongate Coming or Going by playing with or fiddling with the price setter before finally making a choice.

By that logic, how do you consider anything a quickie?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »
I don't consider Coming or Going a true quickie is because it's possible for a contestant to elongate Coming or Going by playing with or fiddling with the price setter before finally making a choice.

The same logic also goes with Freeze Frame, Double Cross, and Pushover. This doesn't make sense at all since all those games involves fiddling with prices.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:46:55 AM »
For me, a quickie requires only one action, even if it's not so quick.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:28:13 AM »
By that logic, how do you consider anything a quickie?

Because in a game like 1 Right Price there's no way for a contestant to elongate the game because there's nothing to fiddle with as there is in Coming or Going.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:45:57 AM »
^ I wouldn't use time wasters to decide whether a game is a quickie. It's still about the single decision of left or right.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:04 AM »
Because in a game like 1 Right Price there's no way for a contestant to elongate the game because there's nothing to fiddle with as there is in Coming or Going.

Sure there is. By just standing there looking at the audience.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:34 AM »
Any pricing game that is normally played for a car, any SP games and any GP games I don't consider "quickies".  Anything else to me is. 

I often will refer to them as "squeeze in" games.  They were just about always played during the 4th pricing game, but not always.

Coming or Going is such a dull game to me, I actually prefer Pick A Number over it.  If I was on the show though, I'd rather play Coming or Going since I'd have a 50% chance of winning, vs. a 33.333333333333333333% chance of winning Pick A Number.

Freeze Frame is rather annoying to me too.  With 8 possible choices, usually only 2 or 3 seem viable.  I realize they want to present different varieties of games but this one takes just a little too long sometimes for my liking.  Nevertheless it is a "quicky" to me.  The way it goes around and having to wait is akin to the old Pick A Pair Ferris Wheel. 

I understand the OP's idea of what makes a game a quicky vs. not, but in my mind, for all intents and purposes, any pricing game that is not a car game, an SP game or a GP game is a quicky.

Is Clock Game now considered a three prize quicky?  One would have to think so since it offers 3 prizes now instead of 2.  Technically 4 prizes with the $1,000 bonus.  I'm guessing they still have that $1,000 bonus too, no?

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »
I'm guessing they still have that $1,000 bonus too [in Clock Game], no?
Precisely. I recall some difference of opinion over that fact (I myself do not think it is bad, as the cash can alleviate some of the tax burden from other prizes), but they still do include it for winning the game.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
More true quickies (including some retired games): Most Expensive, One Wrong Price, Swap Meet, Bump, Gallery Game, Check Game (especially with only needing to right the price and not in words),

I'd consider Range Game a quickie since you just make one decision and the Rangefinder only takes up to 30 seconds to go all the way to the top.

Race Game, Clock Game, and Bonkers are still quickies to me, but a different flavor (the "timed" quickies).

The same could be said with the "fiddling quickies" (Push Over, Safe Crackers, Magic #, even Side by Side and Coming/Going), since just one decision is needed for these games.

Although there are no GPs, SPs or cars, I wouldn't consider Barker's Markers a quickie since it involves not just pricing three prizes, but also making a decision aftewards.

To me the gray area are the games Easy as 1-2-3, Shopping Spree, Danger Price, Credit Card, Make Your Move, Clearance Sale, Take Two, 2 For the Price of 1, and Step Up. They all require multiple decisions, though in Danger Price's case, one pick can result in a loss. Overall, these are what I like to call the semi-quickies. They almost always take a shorter run time that most GP/SP/Car games, with the possible exceptions of Money Game, That's Too Much, and Lucky Seven.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline tpirfreak1215

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Any game that requires multiple decisions/chances cannot be considered a 'quickie'. "Freeze Frame" falls into the grey area. The right price could take a while to come back around.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
Semi-quickies!  I love that term pannoni1!

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
I don't think any 4 prize can be considered a quickie because with that many prizes in play it takes George longer to read the prize the copies than in 1 prize or 2 prize games.

Though off topic I agree Coming or Going is dull. The similar Side by Side is so much better.

Any game that requires multiple decisions/chances cannot be considered a 'quickie'. "Freeze Frame" falls into the grey area. The right price could take a while to come back around.

That is precisely why Freeze Frame is not a quickie.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
Wasn't a quickie determined by it's timing rather than it's "haul"? 

Offline JustBecause

• Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »
The way that I've always viewed "quickies" is any game where only 1 official decision is required for the entire game. So to me, games like Freeze Frame, Range Game, and Safe Crackers count as quickies because while there may be multiple options to choose from, you only have to make one decision, whereas games like Danger Price, Shopping Spree, & Take Two don't count as quickies because while it may take only 1 decision to win/lose a game, these games by nature usually require multiple decisions/choices as the game progresses.

Yet the 2 games that fall into my gray area are Pushover & Double Cross. While they only require one official decision, I've never felt that they play like quickies.