Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/22/2014  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 10/22/2014
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6853K
Aired – 10/22/2014; Taped – 8/5/2014
Models: Gwendolyn Osborne-Smith, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Gwendolyn
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Designer Jewelry (Alberian and Aulde: Sterling silver collection with lapas ring, earrings); ARP: $1,345 (Overhead)

JAMIE PEGGY EUGENE LEANNA
1250 900 1400 1401

The winner is...
JAMIE

Jamie is playing 3 Strikes for 2014 Cadillac ATS (2L turbo engine, 6-speed AT, luxury package, sun and sound package, full-weather package, wheel tire protection) (Gwendolyn).

Chips:

Pick 1:

X

Guess: N/A

$
X

Pick 2:
X

$
X
X

Pick 3:

Guess: 4th

$
NO
X
X

Pick 4:

Guess: 1st

$
NO
X
X

Pick 5:

Guess: 1st

$
X
X

Pick 6:

Guess: 2nd

$
X
X

Pick 7:
X

$
X
X
X

LOSS (ARP: $43,289)

Second IUFB: Computer and Desk (19in all-in-one computer with 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, printer; espresso colored desk); ARP: $1,117 (Gwendolyn)

AUNDREA PEGGY EUGENE LEANNA
1300 2000 1000 2100

The winner is...
EUGENE

Eugene is playing SQUEEZE PLAY for a new waverunner (Yamaha: VX Sport with 1052cc engine, fiberglass hull, trailer) (Rachel).

The 0, 8 or 1 is incorrect.

9 0 8 1 4

Eugene removes the 0...

$ 9 8 1 4
$9084

LOSS

Third IUFB: Bluetooth Speaker Package (Nyne: 5-piece collection with a 32GB iPod Touch); ARP: $939 (Gwendloyn)

AUNDREA PEGGY MATTHEW LEANNA
750 1251 900 1250

The winner is...
MATTHEW

Matthew is playing Magic Number for designer accessories (Chic: textured leather collection of tote, wallet, etc) (Rachel) and a pool table (Golden West Billiards: Traditional style + deluxe accessory kit) (Gwendolyn).

POOL TABLE
ACCESSORIES

ARPs:

$1595
$3295

LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Matthew $939 100 1.00 *$1,000*
Eugene $1,117 55 60 1.15
OVER
Jamie $1,345 85 90 1.75
OVER

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Matthew $1,939 60
*SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Sauna (Crystal Sauna: 2-person infared heated sauna with lights, tempered glass door); ARP: $1,995 (Rachel)

AUNDREA PEGGY ROLF LEANNA
2950 1 3300 2800

The winner is...
PEGGY

Peggy is playing Swap Meet.

Swap Camera (Canon: 18MP DSLR, 18-135mm lens, vari-Angle LCD monitor) (Rachel) for one of:

1. Fridge (Frigidaire: Energysaver technology) (Gwendolyn)
  2. Electric Bicycle (Rayos: Electrik Motion 600watt bicycle) (Gwendolyn)
  3. Television (Sony: 60in LED 1080P premium LEDHDTV with Wifi, surround sound) (George)

Peggy picks the bicycle.

$1199
$1199
CAMERA
FRIDGE
BICYCLE
TELEVISION
WIN

$1199
$????
$1199
$????
CAMERA
FRIDGE
BICYCLE
TELEVISION

Fifth IUFB: Treadmill (Avanti Fitness: Treadmill with rear rollers, adjustable system); ARP: $1,399 (Gwendolyn)

AUNDREA ELIZABETH ROLF LEANNA
1000 1250 900 901

The winner is...
ELIZABETH

Elizabeth is playing PICK A NUMBER for a trip to Portugal (RT Coach to Porto, PO then to Porte de Vaca for 6n camping experience courtesy of Lima Escape + daily breakfast, lunch, activities) (Rachel).

The price of the trip to Portugal is $5,770, $6,770, or $7,770:

$ Pick
-A-
Number
7 7 0
5 6 7

Elizabeth picks 7

$ 6 7 7 0
5 6  

LOSS

The losing continues to occur, except for Swap Meet, and as a result, Leanna is still here. She needs to escape or else she is heading to Lucerne, Indiana.

Sixth IUFB: Selection of Hair Styling Products (DermStore: ceramic hot rollers, styling irons, hair dryer); ARP: $798 (Rachel)

AUNDREA GLORIA ROLF LEANNA
1 595 525 455

The winner is...
GLORIA

Leanna heads to Lucerne while Gloria is playing Let 'Em Roll for a 2014 Hyundai Accent GLS (1.6L engine, AT, FWD; ARP: $16,455) (Gwendolyn).

Gloria will guess the prices of these items:

• Crisco Canola Oil
  • Method Metal Cleaner
  • Allegra Allergy Relief (15 tablets)

The price of canola oil is...
$5.29 * *
CANOLA OIL METAL CLEANER ALLERGY RELIEF
Gloria guesses the metal cleaner is more...
$5.29 $6.49 *
Gloria guesses the allergy relief is more...
$5.29 $6.49 $13.99

Gloria has 3 rolls.

Roll 1:

CAR

BAILOUT (Total Winnings: $5,000)

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Elizabeth $1,399 30 5 .35
Gloria $5,798 100 1.00 *$1,000*
Peggy $4,393 (+ TV & fridge) 65 30 .95

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Gloria $6,798 60
*SHOWCASE*

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Gloria has the honors...

SC1 - Gloria

HALLOWEEN IS NEARBY
  • Candy and Cake Pop Makers (Chocolate Candy Makers with wraps, etc and Gummy Bear molds, cake pop and donut hole maker from Bella) (Rachel)
  • Trip to San Francisco (RT Coach to San Francisco, CA for a 6n stay in premier view room at the Stanford Court + daily breakfast, 3hr chocolate tour) (Rachel)
  • 2014 Kia Rio LX (1.6L engine, 6-speed MT, rear bumper applique, cargo net, tray, mats, carpeted floor mats, paint/fabric) (Gwendolyn)
Bid: $21,500

SC2 - Matthew

ALL GOOD
  • Hammock (Hatteras Hammocks: Plush hammock with southern cyprus stand) (Gwendolyn)
  • Motorcycle (Suzuki: Boulevard S40 with 752cc air-cooled engine, electric start) (Gwendolyn)
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer ES (2L engine, ACVT) (Rachel)
Bid: $26,100
Gloria
$21,500
KIA
$20,335
KIA
Matthew
$26,100
MITSUBISHI
$25,469
MITSUBISHI

Results: 1 out of 6 (with 1 bailout)
Winnings: $16,991 (+ TV/Fridge)
Biggest Winner: Peggy ($4,393 + TV/Fridge)

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:25:44 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Cephas

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/22/2014
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
So double overbids are still in play after all.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
My two cents:

3 Strikes: Glad to see it back! And it's been quite some time since we've last seen a Cadillac on the show! Shame she struck out. I had the last 3 numbers.
Squeeze Play: What a wild contestant. Tough break in the game, though.
Magic Number: Great to see it back, too.Too bad it had to be lost this way. 941 for a Magic Number? ((almost) NEVER set it at an amount under 1,000)
Swap Meet: Good thing that simple set-up saved the show from being winless.
Pick a Number: I would've guessed 7, too. Tough break.
Let 'em Roll: Can't blame her for taking the money and running. It's hard to pass up $5,000 for any car in this game.

Showcases: The Halloween Showcase (disregard what I said about Cover-Up's gag in yesterday's show) would've been the better Showcase, were it not for the Kia Rio (w/MT). Both Showcases were equally good.

Tough break about the first DOB of the season (if that Kia were a Forte instead, it wouldn't have happened).

But at least today's show was a good improvement from yesterday's, thanks to a couple wild contestants, the Halloween Showcase (not counting the Kia), and 3 Strikes (especially for a not-often-offered Cadillac).
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »
The fifth IUFB showed the RGC down, yet the fifth game (Pick-a-Number) sits behind the GPT. Did we have a pricing game malfunction?

Eugene sure was loud, but I couldn't help but feel that his enthusiasm was genuine, and I'll take 100 Eugenes over one stupid schmuck bidding $420 every other minute.

This lineup was a treasure trove of rarer games! 3 Strikes and Magic # debut for the season, and while Pick-a-Number has seen much more play as of last season, it's an interesting choice. Couple that with Swap Meet and a surprise Let 'Em Roll sixth, and I was pleased. It's a shame about some of the bad luck.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
The fifth IUFB showed the RGC down, yet the fifth game (Pick-a-Number) sits behind the GPT. Did we have a pricing game malfunction?

They may have just reshot the treadmill during the break while they were setting up Let 'Em Roll.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
Well, let's be thankful Swap was won. And M#............I thought yesterday's playing of TiM was bad. And I agree with Torgo.........Eugene was the highlight of the day. Despite him being loud and all, he sure did have some good energy.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Despite just one win(which was a lot better than yesterday's trainwreck), it was still a good lineup. Probably one of the best lineups I've seen so far. Also, it looks like we can debunk the whole "No More DOBs" rumor, huh?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:42:12 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline CheckGameMeBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Check Game: Woefully Misunderstood Since 1981
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
Yikes... Another freakshow of an episode today (thank goodness for the Swap Meet win).  I just have something to say about Magic #:

I love this game very much and it makes me want to hit something when I see how poorly people play it.  It has the Check Game syndrome where people just seem to misunderstand the rules of the game and have a horrible wipeout.  What's so hard about setting a price between two expensive looking items and more often than not the range between the two prizes is very generous? (as it was today).  The contestants always go way too low.  Sigh.  End of rant.

Too bad about the double overbid as well and the 3 strikes loss (happy it's back, but Jamie got horribly unlucky getting two strikes right out of the bag), and that Magic # playing was horrifying. 
President, Return Rich Fields Campaign

Chairman, Buy or Sell Fan Club

HYO record: Coming or Going: 1-0.  Mystery Price: 0-1.  Squeeze Play: 1-0.  Flip Flop: 1-0.  Safe Crackers: 1-0, Buy or Sell: 1-0, 3 Strikes: 1-0, Card Game: 0-1, One Away: 1-0, Bonus Game: 1-0, Bump: 1-0, Switch?: 1-0, Double Prices, 1-0, Passcode: 0-1, Easy az 1,2,3: 1-0, Fabulous Showcases: 5-1. 

Total winnings: 1,548,521

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
OK, where the hell was 3 Strikes when we needed it last week?

And where the hell was Magic # when I needed it last week?

I never thought I would be so happy to see Swap Meet show up.  After yesterday's show, the last thing we needed today was a winless show with a DOB.

My showcase bids:
Kia--$21,707
Mitsubishi--$21,707
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
And with this, now only 4 games have not yet aired this season...

BONUS GAME
LINE EM UP
RAT RACE
TRIPLE PLAY

Offline Charizard632

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »
3 Strikes: I can assume that this is the hardest active pricing game on The Price is Right.
Squeeze Play: That contestant was sure excited! Too bad he lost.
Magic #: That playing was dismal. There's no way the accessories would be less than $1,000.
Swap Meet: Easy win.
Pick-a-Number: I would have picked 7 too. Too bad she lost.
Let 'em Roll: That seems like a reasonable reason to bail-out, simply because you just bought a car.

The showcase showdowns were nice, as we got 2 $1,000 spins in each showcase showdown.

It's a shame that there's a Double Overbid, and we thought they were gone. I couldn't believe how cheap the trip + car showcase is, mainly because the first prize looked like it's under $1,000, San Francisco is close to Los Angeles, and Kia Rios are cheap. This is so far, the cheapest showcase in Season 43.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
Yikes... Another freakshow of an episode today (thank goodness for the Swap Meet win).  I just have something to say about Magic #:

I love this game very much and it makes me want to hit something when I see how poorly people play it.  It has the Check Game syndrome where people just seem to misunderstand the rules of the game and have a horrible wipeout.  What's so hard about setting a price between two expensive looking items and more often than not the range between the two prizes is very generous? (as it was today).  The contestants always go way too low.  Sigh.  End of rant.

While you and I both know that setting the number at $900 is a bad idea, keep in mind that 1)most contestants don't watch the show every day and 2)the less-expensive prize was a set of designer accessories for women and the contestant today was male.  Most guys I know (including me, at least until they started offering them on TPiR) have NO clue just how expensive a single designer purse can be.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind Magic # being retired at this point. The game has been completely broken for no reason by consistently terrible gameplay, to say nothing of the outdated prop with serious technical limitations. It's been set up incredibly easy on every playing, yet still gets lost with alarming frequency because of absurdly low guesses. I don't know if people just don't understand it for some reason, or if they're too gentle with the lever and get scared, or what, but it's unwatchable.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
Three Strikes: Seeing that Cadillac was a treat. Unfortunately, drawing two strikes right away really put today's contestant in a major hole. In fact this playing is making me yearn for the days of having one strike in the bag. It's really a shame that Cadillac wasn't won but it was a treat to see it.

Squeeze Play: I'm not a watercraft person but I thought it was between removing the 8 or the 1. Our long losing streak continues. The computer was a nice contestants row prize though.

Magic Number: Magic Number doesn't use three digit prizes. Magic Number used to be a favorite of mine. But numerous poor playings have really soured me on it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a tendency to play according to the higher end prize. This has resulted in numerous magic numbers being set way to low. This game should have a high win percentage given its large margin of error. But because all the focus is on being below the high end prize too many contestants are losing it on the low end prize. Accessories aren't a prize I'd want to play for but the pool table was alright.

Swap Meet: Great to finally get a win. Fairly easy win of some very nice prizes. The Sony TV was especially good but all four prizes were fantastic. This is unusual for Swap Meet. I'd actually have been happy if I'd played this game on this show. I'd be quite pleased with a  TV,  camera, fridge, and bike.

Pick a Number: Too bad that nice Portugal trip wasn't won.

Let em Roll: It's unfortunate that the Hyundai Accent wasn't won. Although it would have been an easier choice with only one roll left, I'd have taken the $5000 as well. Today's contestant might have won had she gone on or she might have ended up with $500. We'll never know. But I liked the decision.

Showcases: Both showcases were strong today. Tragic to end with a double overbid.

Lineup: Weak. While Three Strikes is a treat and a great lead off hitter. But luck based games don't make good closers. Furthermore, Squeeze Play, Swap Meet, and Pick a Number, though all slotted well, don't all belong in the same lineup. In today's lineup I'd have replaced Pick a Number with Bonus Game. Just making that one change would have made this a much better lineup. (I'm not exactly sure how I feel about Magic Number at this point but I did like seeing it for the first time in season 43.)

Overall: Only one win, a double overbid, and a weak lineup would normally lead me to say this was a very bad show that was saved from being horrible by Swap Meet. But since at least seeing the Cadillac was a treat I'll upgrade my rating from very bad to bad.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
I think it's time for the staff to modify Magic Number to play like the Clock Game. Have two prizes in the $500-$1500 range, and if they correctly find a magic number between the two prices, award a third prize of greater value.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
It amuses me that every time the crew doesn't know how to set up a game properly people immediately start calling for its retirement.