Author Topic: Contestant who spun $1.00 in two spins but was given credit for $0.95  (Read 4953 times)

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
If this topic has already been discussed at some point in the forum's history, my apologies...

As I'm sure most of this forum's participants are aware, on the 11/8/93 episode, in the first Showcase Showdown, the error described in the subject line of this post took place.  It's posted on YouTube:

Apparently no one in the studio noticed at the time, and subsequently nothing was mentioned on the air. But does anyone know if the powers-that-be did the right thing down the road and awarded the contestant $11,000? Has anyone ever asked Roger about this?

And if she had been given $11,000, would that have made her the top winner in the Showcase, and thus given her the option of bidding on Showcase #1, possibly leading to a Double Showcase win? If so, was she awarded both showcases after the fact as well?

Quoting from Page 3 of the "Technical pricing games" thread --

Isn't there a story (emphasis on story) of a contestant who was awarded their IUFB, the $500 ($100?) bonus, PG prize(s), $11,000 and both showcases due to some bidding error?

If true, that'd be the ultimate technical win!

Perhaps this story (minus the IUFB/perfect bid $/PG prizes) is referring to the incident described above?

I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with this post. It's just something I've been thinking about today, so I wanted to ask.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:23:57 AM by asd2001 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
That story comes from much later in the run, although I can't remember the exact details surrounding it.  I'm sure someone else can fill us in, though.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Wow!  Just...wow!  Wow that NOBODY there caught it.  The contestant I can sort of understand, you're nervous, it's happening so fast.  Bob was starting to have a lapse every now and again by this point, but it shocks me that Roger, Fingers, Rod, and an audience full of people didn't say anything about 75+25 not equaling 95!  That's what makes me say "Wow!"

I too am very curious if this was resolved ever, and if so, how. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
It sounds like the audience knew that she had a dollar based on their cheering after her second spin.  I can't believe nobody caught it and nothing was done to rectify the error, at least on air.  Has anyone who is in with contact with Roger on Facebook asked him about this?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
It sounds like the audience knew that she had a dollar based on their cheering after her second spin.  I can't believe nobody caught it and nothing was done to rectify the error, at least on air.  Has anyone who is in with contact with Roger on Facebook asked him about this?
Yes, and his reply was as follows
Quote from: Roger Dobkowitz
No, unfortunately the error was not catched until much later. It is absolutely surprising that not only was it missed by Bob, it was missed by all of us on the production staff, the audience, and the CBS watchdogs that were in the studio at the time!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Wow, it's just shocking that nobody caught it at the time.  I wonder if she or somebody else would've brought it up had the next contestant gotten a dollar or she lost in a spinoff? 

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Quote from Roger Dobkowitz:
No, unfortunately the error was not catched until much later.

Thanks for sharing this info. I hope that they at least made an attempt to contact the contestant and offer her $11,000.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Thanks for sharing this info. I hope that they at least made an attempt to contact the contestant and offer her $11,000.

According to Roger:

CBS decided to do nothing.

That was in response to the question posed by another Facebook user "Did you ever make it right and mail her a $1,000 check?"
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
I must say that honestly isn't right.  She was definitely jipped out of $1000, but she was also jipped out of a possible additional $10K.  CBS should've had ponied up the cash.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
I'm more curious about why nobody on the staff alerted Bob to his mistake on November 27, 2002's show-the one where he disqualified a contestant because she did a puny bonus spin, but she still needed a score for the spinoff.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Contestant who spun $1.00 in two spins but was given credit for $0.95
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
I'm more curious about why nobody on the staff alerted Bob to his mistake on November 27, 2002's show-the one where he disqualified a contestant because she did a puny bonus spin, but she still needed a score for the spinoff.
Though if you think about it, there's nothing stopping that contestant from reappearing now, since the ten-year waiting period has elapsed.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
One would assume (which I realize is dangerous) that said contestant would have seen herself on television, along with her family and friends, and that even then, someone might have caught that error.

I suppose it could be possible that if it was caught later on by the contestant, and had she raised a stink about it, the show may have tried to handle it behind the scenes, especially since that was right around the time the show had a lot of negative stuff swirling about.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »
I wonder if it happened today, or if there was social media and internet like we have now at the time, would the online reaction be strong enough that they would've given her at least the $1,000 or even had her come back on a later show for a bonus spin?

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »
I wonder if it happened today, or if there was social media and internet like we have now at the time, would the online reaction be strong enough that they would've given her at least the $1,000 or even had her come back on a later show for a bonus spin?

Judging by how they handle other sorts of irregularities that affect the outcome of the show, it's likely they'd have given the contestant everything she could've won afterwards--the full $11,000 for the wheel, and probably both showcases' worth of prizes as well.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:13 AM »
But why would they have awarded both showcases if she made it to the showcase anyway? Unless the $11,000 would have made her top winner and she felt that affected which showcase she received.