Author Topic: Password question  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Password question
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »
Got a question about both Password Plus & Super Password..... When the main game was won, was it always that the celebrity faced the alphabetics board (Password Plus) and the TV screen on Super Password, or was the contestant allowed to choose who gave the passwords in the bonus rounds? I tried to look up info on Wikipedia about it, but no information was given, or maybe I wasn't looking......

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Password question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
Yes, it was always the celebrities that gave the clues, hence why in Password Plus the penalty for a celebrity giving an illegal clue was only a $1,000 penalty from the bonus winnings. I always preferred this version of the bonus round over Super Password because it considered that the contestant wasn't at fault for the celebrity's mistake, and it was a good strategy for the celebrity to give an illegal clue if time was running out and there was one clue left. $4,000 was better than $900, ya know.

I recall an instance on Super Password when Dick Gautier blazed through the bonus round with about 25 seconds left...only to slip up and say the final word "PURPLE" costing the contestant the win and making him feel absolutely horrible about it. Always disliked that bonus ever since.

EDIT: Found the Dick Gautier episode in question:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:10:00 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
I figured it was the celebrity who gave the clues! Thanks for the info! I have to admit that the 'toaster' and the 'alphabetics board' part of the game was awesome. I sure miss hearing that timer 'beep' along with a loud buzzer when time ran out on both Password Plus and Super Password, and the horn used on Classic Concentration if the bonus round was lost. Mark Goodson was an innovator for his time.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
I'll admit that was probably my favorite bonus round clock of all (back in the day, I always referred to it as the "Rudolph's Nose Clock" given that it sounded somewhat similar to the sound the most famous reindeer of all's nose made when it lit up), and given Goodson used it on a number of his shows, I have a feeling he liked it a lot as well. 

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
... and given Goodson used it on a number of his shows, I have a feeling he liked it a lot as well.
Somehow I doubt Goodson cared one way or the other about something as minute as what a clock sounded like.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »
I can’t remember what documentary-type story or interview it was on, but I remember hearing that he was a perfectionist, and he had to have everything exactly right and would insist that the bell and buzzer sound just right. Not saying he had a “favorite bonus round clock” or anything like that, but I do remember hearing he was the perfectionist type.

Online wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
I can’t remember what documentary-type story or interview it was on, but I remember hearing that he was a perfectionist, and he had to have everything exactly right and would insist that the bell and buzzer sound just right. Not saying he had a “favorite bonus round clock” or anything like that, but I do remember hearing he was the perfectionist type.

I remember they mentioned it on the "Behind the Blank" documentary of the Match Game when they were talking about how the show was developed.