Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/19/2009  (Read 17761 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/19/2009
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
The Price is Right - Jan. 19, 2009
Production #4591K - Taped Nov. 10, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: De Sentino

NOTE: According to Steve Gavazzi's FAQ, and unless someone else can disprove his maths, this is the TRUE "PRICE 7000". Of course, based on past history the "ceremonial Price 7000" with all the decorations and cake - if any - will come somewhat further down the road, but for now enjoy this for what it really is.

1   JBL/Harmon Kardon Home Theater System (R)
ANDRE 1250 ANTHONY *1500 KELSEY 900 ERICA 1200 ($1597)

Anthony, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $50,000 PL!NKO! MONDAY!!!

Free Chip(5)1000L
Emergency Radio3/93$59
Bath Set GIft Basket5/0030*(6)500L
(Brookstone) Stock Tracker6/5585*(1)100LTotal
(Hamilton Beach) Steam Iron2/9925$1600LOSS

2   (Future Beach) Water Slide (R)
+Andre 620 LANA 500 +Kelsey 600 +Erica *1300 ($1999)

Erica plays FLIP FLOP for a LIttle Guy Camping World Cruiser (L)

Setup:46 59
Pick:64 95   (She "Flipflops")
Price:$6495   WIN!

3   MCF Wallace Tea Set (B)
+Andre 1500 Lana 1600 +Kelsey 1601 VIRGINA *1 ($1425)

Virginia successfully employs the "Smeghead Gambit" to play LET EM ROLL for a Ford Ranger XL (Std., AT, AC)(L)($18,405)

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (10¾ oz)$1.29
Gold Bond Ultimate HealingHIGHER9.12*
Capzasin HP (1.5 oz)LOWER14.09

THE ROLLS...

1.4 Cars & $500Banks 4
2.CARWIN!

Why did I always think that soup was in a larger can?

SHOWDOWN #1
$3,215Anthony80 stay.80
8,494Erica35 + 70OV
19,830Virginia25 + 70.95Through to Showcase Round

4   Phat Snap His/Hers Bicycles (L&R)
+Andre 1000 Lana *1200 +Kelsey 1 ROSA 800 ($1240)

Lana plays SWITCH?

Golden West Billiard Table (L)$2400$2400
Dolce Gobana Purse/Shoes (B)$3025SWITCH!$3025LOSS

5   "Big Green Egg" Smoker/Grill (B)
+Andre 1351 DARIN 1350 +Kelsey *875 Rosa 1 ($1175)
STUPID BID

Kelsey from Tucson, AZ plays for a Ford Focus S (Fairly loaded)(R)

9595-23719
2542-bk1870-4
7017-159-525-3
$249$17 7 ––   LOSS

So, here we are, one last One-Bid to come and Andre is still in the Row. If he needs any encouragement, Mimi's willing to offer it. She's just waiting for him to trip up. Is he headed to the "First Four" Breakfast Club?

6   Eugene Biro Diamond/Sapphire Ring (B-in the Row)
+Andre 1100 Darin 1101 STEPHANIE 799 Rosa *850 ($995)

Andre heads off to the clubhouse while Rosa plays MAKE YOUR MOVE

Women's
Flip Flops
Yamaha PT Phazer
Snowmobile (R)($9750)
Howard Miller Gallery
Wall Clock (L)($659)
4 6 6 5 9 9 7 5 0 LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$995Rosa35 + 30.65(Puny 1st Spin)
1,240Lana75 stay.75
1,424Kelsey80 stay.80Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Virginia has the honor.

SC1-Kelsey Ashley Loganstone Living Room group
The Maids Maid Service (24 visits)(B)
Thermador Stainless Range, Fridge & Dishwasher (L&R)
BID$17,500
PRICE21,625
DIFF–4,125
TOTAL$23,049
SC2-Virginia Craftsman Mechanic's Tools/Cabinet (L)
Sony Playstation 3 NASCAR '09 Package
58" Plasma HDTV (B)
Daytona 500 Package (myracetravel.com; 5n)(R)
BID$18,000
PRICE14,738
DIFFOVER

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $57,823

Tomorrow's a day off for the Obama Inauguration. We're back to the usual routine on Wednesday.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:39:32 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/19/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
Strong lineup for the "true" 7000th episode.

-Pl!nko: Dangit, we can't get a win out of this anymore? It feels like even with 5 chips, we're doomed. 7/10
-Flippy: I was worried she would keep it at -59 for a sec...Little Guy went up by $500. 9/10
-LeR: What luck!! She almost an EXACTA too!! 11/10
-SD1: Nothing too much. 3.5/5
-Switchy: I knew the table likely had a nice price despite the extreme amount the shoes & purse fetched. But what was that Drew had her say... "1 2 3 Switch?" They already switched, so Drew, find something else. 7/10
-Money: How many times have we seen this? Too many. 6/10
-MYM: (goldy's research) First time in nearly 4 years this was last! Really made the lineup better...too bad Rosa was completely clueless. 7/10 (+1 for 6 hole)
-SD2: Nothing again, a quick succession of 1-ups really... 3.5/5
-SCs: Nothing too bad...but the last prize of SC2 really should have been a Solstice convertible. Not that Daytona isn't nice at all, I loved the idea...that should have been second. Remove the tools maybe and make the TV/PS3 second. 8/10
-SC Results: ...and Daytona made SC2 the cheapest in the Drew era...and the way the SCs are suddenly going, someone is going to DSW on a lowball bid sometime, too! SC1 got expensive by the kitchen appliances, with that grill... 9/10 for seemingly good bids
-Drew's Hosting: Much better, although he sent her to her car and was a bit down after some losses (not even close to as bad as before, though). 8/10

FINAL TALLY:
-PGs: 48/60
-SCSDs: 7/10
-SCs: 17/20
-Drew: 8/10

80 --> B-

Yeah, watch LeR and everything else is standard. Pl!nko lost again is quite depressing, actually.

EDIT: I mapped out what exactly 6/10, 9/10 etc. means and changed some things. Borderline ep still.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:24:26 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »
Opening:  If you were paying attention, you could see the Race Game curtain coming down during the standing ovation for Drew.

One-Bid #3:  Is this the first time that somebody bid $1 in first position and actually won?  I'll be surprised if it has happened before, given how rare it is for somebody to bid $1 in first position.

MYM:  Yay!  Make Your Move! :P First time in the Drew Era that this game was played last.

Showcases:  Stainless kitchen appliances and Ashley furniture in the first showcase... Daytona 500 package in the second showcase.  Either these showcases are outrageously expensive or outrageously cheap.

My showcase bids:
Room/appliances--$15,007
Daytona 500--$18,007

Result:  Wow, I can't believe it.  The first "Fireball Special" of the Drew Era.  So much for sub-$15K showcases being a thing of the past.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
One-Bid #3:  Is this the first time that somebody bid $1 in first position and actually won?  I'll be surprised if it has happened before, given how rare it is for somebody to bid $1 in first position.
It's been termed the "Smeghead Gambit", so it definitely happened before.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
I think for the 2nd showcase they should have done this.   Do you ever want to change tires like a nascar pit crew then u can do it with these tools from craftsman.  next do u ever want to feel the nascars zoom by you at 150 mph they get ready to go to the famuous track in the world at the datona 500.  and lastly how about driving like a nascar driver but we would not recamend you trie it in your new.... CAR!!!!.  and this showcase in witch you will fell like a nsacar driver can be yours if the Price is Right
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
Ah, the real 7,000th episode of the show.  Will the staff do a ceremonial celebration later this year or sometime in Season 38, if it happens?  We don't know.

Drew was good for the most part today, although he could have done without the constant suspenseful bid reveals and he should have been a little more suspenseful in Money Game instead of being just silent when revealing what was behind the numbers.

I don't know if it was visible in the SD broadcasts, but I watch the HD one, and I could see the Race Game curtain lower when they did the sweeping shot of the audience and stage with the jib cam.

I don't know what Virginia was thinking bidding $1, but it worked!  She was fun to watch when she hugged and almost mauled Drew during Let 'em Roll.  She was pretty lucky that on her last roll, she rolled a car.

For the first time in the Drew Carey era and since March 11, 2005, Make Your Move was sixth!  Personally, I liked how Drew combined the reveals, the "is s/he right?" and, after they were revealed to be incorrect, "light up the right prices."  

Personally, I wonder why Adam didn't play Danger Price, Shopping Spree, Take Two, or Swap Meet instead of Make Your Move, since those other games time out the same.  We already had a two-prize game in the form of Switch?.  Having a 4-prize game in the show would have added some variety to the lineup.

As much as I dislike the use of green screens, the way they used footage of NASCAR race cars going around Daytona International Speedway was kind of cool.  I was amazed at how cheap the second showcase was.  Personally, I thought the writing wasn't bad, although it could have done without the prize recap and Rich addressing Virginia after every prize.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:44:39 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »
Here's to 7000 episodes of Price (Cheers and applauses).

This was a pretty good lineup today and the slotting wasn't bad at all. Plinko first isn't all that unusual though I would have swapped it and Flip Flop around. Make Your Move last was just awesome.

Speaking of Make Your Move--I wonder why it isn't played last more often.

Personally, I wonder why Adam didn't play Danger Price, Shopping Spree, Take Two, or Swap Meet instead of Make Your Move, since those other games time out the same.  We already had a two-prize game in the form of Switch?.  Having a 4-prize game in the show would have added some variety to the lineup.

You'd rather see Swap Meet last rather than Make Your Move? That's just wrong. :-P

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
If you don't watch the show in widescreen, go over to CBS.com and watch Drew's intro.  Seeing the Curtain drop after Drew went through was cool...reminded me of old-school Wheel of Fortune.

Solid lineup with those six games.  Nice to see Make Your Move wind up sixth...good way to end a show.

Drew also was much better than recently.  I donno...can glasses change a man's attitude?  Stay tuned!

Can we get someone to confirm they had the right ARPs with the right showcases?  :P
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
You'd rather see Swap Meet last rather than Make Your Move? That's just wrong. :-P

Hey, I'm probably one of the few people around here who likes Pick-a-Number, so I guess that was to be expected!
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Cliffhangers491

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »
Seeing the curtain drop during the ovation for Drew Carey was really cool. As the biggest NASCAR fan in the world, SC2 was a dream showcase for me, but very cheap for TPIR. Oh, and yay for real show 7000!
Love it. Live it. Learn it. Savor the flavor!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
Hey, I'm probably one of the few people around here who likes Pick-a-Number, so I guess that was to be expected!

I like Pick-a-Number, but Swap Meet is a different matter.  :-P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:23:37 PM by rob79 »

Offline sfan786

• In the Audience
    • sfan.tk
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Wow it's cool that I just watched the 7000 episode.
the show was fairly good today even though sc2 was cheap.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:16:07 PM »
I like the variety of trips we have seen lately, but usually the specialty trips (like Dodger Fantasy Camp and the African Safari) are pretty pricey.  I had a feeling that Daytona was cheap, though, although I still overbid it.  Really, the trip is airfare to Florida and a hotel.  The tickets included, although they were pit passes, aren't really all that expensive.  So I had a feeling this would price around the same as DisneyWorld.

The show is settling into a nice flow right now.  I don't cringe nearly as much as I was at the start of the season, and I think there is a compliment in there someplace.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Todd97

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
This was the 1pm taping on Nov. 10th.  I was near the front of the line for the 4pm taping that day.  While we were waiting in the last set of benches outside, Anthony and Kelsey (and a few others, I'm sure) came out with all their paperwork and their name cue cards. So we got to hear their stories.

It's a neat feeling when you can say to yourself..."Hey, I saw those people in line that day!" 

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »
I personally don't want to see a "celebratory seven thousandth episode" further down the road.  I'd rather they get it right the first time, and since they didn't, they might as well move on.

Much better already.  Put normal glasses on Drew, and he becomes a much better host for the show.  He hosted today as if he honestly cared.  He was much more "with it" and curbed back on trying to force pathetic humour on everything.  Excellent to see, and glad to know that if the Christmas week shows are anything to count, it will continue to get better.

However, that doesn't mean Drew doesn't have his fair share of things he needs to keep working on, like keeping things moving, curbing back on the comments, and other things like not saying "uh" and repeating the same things over and over again.

One thing especially that Drew needs to work on that I need to bring out in a line of its own is the One Bid price reveals.  There was--what--only one today that he didn't stop midway through reading the price?  He must just read the price with no pauses and move along.  You slow things down like that, you're not making things any better.  You're actually creating the perfect vent for your audience to escape through, and anybody who tunes in will keep on going because you can't catch their attention in the middle of a pause.

Yay!  No commercial bumper after the second pricing game.  Keep that up too, so we can get things like the real ticket plug back.

The worst of Drew today was Money Game, which, unfortunately, he pretty much hosted just like he does every other time is played, which is not hosting it.  He didn't even say anything before Kelsey made her last pick.  Speaking of which, what Drew could have done there in response to Kelsey saying she was relying completely on the audience is encourage her to not rely on them but make her own decisions.

Speaking of make, Make Your Move!  So nice to see it again, complete with reaction shots in between the prizes.  It's unfortunate Rose didn't play better.

Fantastic first Showcase.  Excellent writing, logical flow, and proper introductions and conclusions.  The second Showcase left less to be desired.  No introduction, Rich yelling at the contestant, long transitions, and a stupid prize recap on the end.  If you're got two prime examples in the same episode of how a Showcase is supposed to be down and how not to be done, you've got it right here.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.