Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/29/2009  (Read 30662 times)

Offline studio33

• In the Audience
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/29/2009
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »
For musical theatre fans, Jared is the musical director/ conductor for the national tour of "Spring Awakening." Most of the cast/ band were at this taping.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Maybe it's time for someone else at the production company to do the line-ups.  The person doing them now had their chance...they failed...let's move onto someone new.

Is it unthinkable that maybe the new PRODUCER should do them or is he too busy turning price into the "new direction."

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »
Money Game:  Too bad! :-(  I could think of better games to play first.
Range Game:  Nice job! :-)
Now..Or Then:  Well played! :-)  I was wondering when "then" would be in the 2000s.
Cover Up:  Rats! :-(
Plinko!:  Pretty nice chunk o' change won today! :-)
Double Prices:  Good job! :-)

Another good one, although the lineup could've been better, IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:05:46 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm really getting sick of seeing Money Game played first again and again and again.  It just isn't a very good first game -- in fact, it works better in the second half.

Actually, Money Game first might not even be so bad were it not for my biggest gripe about the way Drew hosts it -- he doesn't really host it.  He just stands there and reveals the cards as the rest of the show goes on around him.  Money Game needs a Bob Barker to make it interesting to watch, and Drew usually doesn't fit the bill.

Buckey's Cough Syrup? :?

And speaking of that, just 'cause it's begging to be said:  "Buckley's Cough Syrup, the famous Canadian cough remedy now available here.  It tastes awful, and it works!" :oldlol:

Did it seem unfair to anyone else that the wrong price on the cereal dispenser in Plinko was $49?  Nobody besides us was going to get that right.  (And when's the last time that thing was used, anyway?)

You know, even with the Showcase halfway back to normal, it just isn't the same anymore.  There's never any characters for the Beauties to play, and they never seem to stick a random second car into showcase #2 anymore to shake things up.  I miss those kinds of things.

Maybe it's time for someone else at the production company to do the line-ups.  The person doing them now had their chance...they failed...let's move onto someone new.

The thing is, there's really only a few people who understand how to do a lineup properly, and most of them don't work at the show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Money: I was thinking 19 and 62 all the way.
Cover: Forced loss.
Plinko: Seems like that's the most that's been won there in a while.
DP: Always something when this is played for 5-digit prizes.

SC's were actually decent today. I knew the Spa was at least 15K.

Lineup: I liked some of the slotting today, especially Plinko 5th, but..........
Money Game first=FAIL
Car game 4th AGAIN=FAIL
No multiprizer=FAIL

An OK show.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Money:  :headbang: Cover Up would've taken this spot and made more sense to be in this slot. It's no longer fun to keep seeing this one first.

Range: Nice win.

NowThen: It probably was a safe bet to say that the Buckley's mixture and that hot sauce would be the "Then" ones. Who knows? Nice win.

Cover: I probably would've guessed the last digit on the first try and actually would've won it, too. Too bad.

Plinko: Seeing it fifth feels just fine. $12K makes up for this one very well.

Double: *Sigh*  :-(

Showcases: I maybe starting to get a little bit annoyed seeing anyone other than the models doing their stuff in a showcase now. The ARP of the 1st one left me astray.  :-o

A 2-star show.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
The lineup friggin' sucked.  Why are multi-prize games not being played?  Why?  It's a simple question.  It should carry a simple answer that would also be a dumb one because there's no excuse for not playing them.  Come on, Adam, why are you not scheduling them?  If this is something being forced upon you, who is forcing it because they should friggin' stop it.

Drew should never not be behind the doors when they open for his entrance ever again.

It amazes me that with the number of things Drew has significantly improved at, he still continues to not host Money Game ever; and he has to stop getting so bummed out about losses and always falling back on the One Bid item.  I doubt he even realises how he's always going down the same routine after every pricing game, win or loss, but it has to stop.  He needs to vary his statements.

Wow, a twenty-first century year finally hits Now.... or Then.  It makes me feel old. :P

I'd really like to see Drew learn how to properly conduct a Cover Up check and reveal.  He probably doesn't realise that when he asks if any new numbers are right instead of asking if the price is correct, he's killing potential buildup for the game because as it happened today, if he asks if any new numbers are correct and none are, the game ends right there.  He has to learn how to do this game correctly.

Frig, I was really hoping "alakazam" was gone after he skipped it in ½ Off the other day.  Please, Drew, you were so nice to ditch it in ½ Off.  Please stop using that dumb word in Double Prices too.

If they're going to continue having these "guest models," they ought to give them a crash course on actually modeling so they don't just make themselves look stupid by standing there waving all the time they're on camera, as those two did in the first Showcase.

Speaking of the Showcases, I really want them to return to normal again; and I really want to see our regular themes return.  When was the last time we had a good Train Depot, Port 'O Price, Price Is Right Department Store, or First Bank of Price?

Still speaking of the Showcases, in addition to Drew needing to stop obsessing and continually talking about the value or prizes or prize packages, he has to stop pitching to commercial before the Showcase reveal recapping the prizes and making false claims like, "somebody's gonna' win a lot of nice prizes" when that's not necessarily true since the chance of a double overbid is possible.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
It amazes me that with the number of things Drew has significantly improved at, he still continues to not host Money Game ever.

Wow, a twenty-first century year finally hits Now.... or Then.  It makes me feel old.

When you think about it, Drew's first aired show started off with Money Game, and it's just sad to watch him still butcher the game almost a year and a half since.

Technically, 2000 is still in the 20th Century and in the old millennium, we won't enter those two eras until they start using "Then" dates January 2001 and later.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
Timings:
Money Game (4.5) - 4:16
Range Game (4) - 3:13
Now...or Then (5) - 4:32
Cover Up (5) - 4:39
Plinko! (5.5) - 5:22
Double Prices (3) - 2:33 (new shortest game yet)
Total time (27): 24:35

Really not much to be said today. A pretty average show with pretty average setups too except that Cover Up was particularly difficult today - Money Game, that's typical Money Game for ya. It amazes me how after 30+ years of Money Game people still haven't figured out that, in that game, the prices that end in 0 and 5 are never the right ones. That being said, even a pretty blah episode with a blah lineup can still be exciting and fun. The lineup here is being beaten into the ground a little bit, and kind of deservedly so, but there have to be lineups like today once in a while also. Not every Roger lineup was exciting either. I'm trying to be optimistic here.

I thought Now...or Then was a pretty easy setup today. I'm pretty sure the other "then" was the hot sauce, and given that a) we haven't seen either of those products on the show in awhile or even heard of them much in awhile; b) 2000 they used to be sponsored, if you pay close attention to the show you could have gotten that.

Yay! Finally a $10,000 winner in Plinko!

Not even a Drewcase to comment on today, but what was up with that SC1? CSS players take note: CalSpas, especially ones that look like that, are EXPENSIVE. Although I guess given its size I should have expected that. But still, wow. And packaged with a Mini Cooper. So now we can see $46,000 showcases just pop out of nowhere too, and in the same week as $13,000 showcases too. Will definitely keep CSS players on their toes there.

Offline woohookitty

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:51 AM »
The worst lineup EVER!!  The multi-prizer is truly dead.  And someone please get Richards to realize that Money Game is A HORRIBLE way to open the show.  HORRIBLE.  AND VERY BORING.

Until tomorrow when you declare tomorrow's the worst. :) It's timing folks. Simple as that. If you don't like it, then don't tune in because it's going to get worse. I don't see a 42 minute Price anytime in my lifetime.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:01 AM »
Wow, you must only be paying attention to the people you expect to say things that annoy you -- otherwise, you'd realize that numerous lineups recently have been timed annoyingly short.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:51:28 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 03:53:36 AM »
Can't really add to what has already been said,

But we are losing variety in the show.  It seems like they are playing the same 15 games in rotation when we used to have over 70.  Even if we are rumored to have lost about 10 games for whatever reason, that still leaves about 45 games that should be played more often.  I agree, we have ONE good big deal game per show, and the rest are all quickies.

We have been getting more of:

Switch

Double Prices

Side by Side.

We want more of:

Gas Money
Pocket Change
Danger Price
Cliffhangers
Three Strikes (Bring it Back!)

Joe

Offline JRR4

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
What games are we rumored to have lost?  I missed that thread.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
What games are we rumored to have lost?  I missed that thread.

3 Strikes, Triple Play, Make Your Mark, and any game played for more than three prizes.

Basically, all of the non-boring ones.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
Finally... a dollar on the wheel. Feels like forever since the last one.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Cletus
SHOW GRADE: 2