Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/11/2009  (Read 33792 times)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/11/2009
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
Quote from: goldroadfanatic
I actually disagree with that, we are up to 16 playings this season, I hope to see 10 more and that will break the record of 25 playings in one season, set back in Season 22.

Um... why do we really want it to break the record?  It's Pick a Number.  No one really likes it much.  While the most extreme here may want the game demolished, most of us would be perfectly content with it simply being played as necessary.  It wasn't necessary today, and as such, should not have been played today.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
Um... why do we really want it to break the record?  It's Pick a Number.  No one really likes it much.  While the most extreme here may want the game demolished, most of us would be perfectly content with it simply being played as necessary.  It wasn't necessary today, and as such, should not have been played today.

Its a game that a good percentage of us have put in their "next to be retired" list.  I for one was content seeing it 2-3 times a year.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
Is there a video somewhere of Rich getting shown in the call down window? I didn't see today's episode.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
One of those said problems that needs to vanish is this continual dance number from Drew and the model handing off the microphone.  It wasn't funny the first time, and it isn't getting funny.

That's just it - I don't think it is meant to be funny. It's cute; it shows Drew likes his job. It's not meant to be funny. Not everything is meant to be funny.

As I pointed out in another thread on this subject - did anybody notice this started when DiPirro took over as director? I don't recall it happening on Bart's last show, but it started with DiPirro's first show the very next day. Probably not related, but it's an interesting observation.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:49:28 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline yabbaguy

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »
Here are the two graphics people were requesting:

DSW Graphic(thought it was good!)

Rich-In-A-Box (cruddy quality)

I'm just gonna pass a few comments of what I saw... and boy did I like what I saw!

-Master Key was showcased at its best today. That was an absolutely awesome moment.
-I :FORK:'d on Freeze Frame today. :( *presses self against corner*
-The contestants were absolutely top-notch, with stories to tell, enthusiasm to show, and a love for the game.
-SCSD graphic was cool as well (for that... you need to see it animated, an image shows practically nothing.)
-Showcase backdrop behind the Prius... meh. Didn't look like anything but air turbines with spotlights shining on them.
-Okay... what up with Cue 19 being used twice in a row?

Absolutely awesome show today!

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
Thanks a lot YABBA.  I'm actually at work remoted back to my home computer editing the HD recording today and upload the 6th DSW to youtube now... It's fancy, the fireworks are so WOF but something just seems missing, the numbers still need to be lightened up a bit.. And am i right in seeing that they no longer "BLINK" the DSW graphic and win amount??

Was the 1K win on the wheel also BLINKLESS?  but ANIMATED?  (and why haven't they hired me yet to do these for them, LOL)
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
The new DSW graphic is ok...but the font is just too simple for my liking. It feels like it's missing some "oomph" or something.

Lots of awesome contestants today with great stories. Also an exciting Mastey Key win, and Rachel was your ideal One Away contestant. Oh, and DiPirro, you are my "hirro"! :lol:
Signatures are overrated.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
I liked the opening pan - use of two stage cameras before the jib.  Nice Breslow technique sneaking into the DiPirro days!

The shot of Rich at the opening was great.

Not just today's show, but why does the main theme start so late during the intro?  When Rich says "You are the first four contestants on The Price is Right", the first "beat" to the main theme should occur around the words "...on The Price...", but today it occurred way after!  This has happened a lot this season and last.

The calldown window was great, of course!  Absolutely loved it, and am very excited to have it return!

The bonus spin graphic needs some other color.  Red would be a good outline with a different fill color (white?), or vice versa, but when it is all red it blends in too much with the carpet.

Dig We Must was played after Trevell went over and before Lorna's bonus spin, although it was so faint you could barely hear it.

Great DSW moment, good reveal, and puny graphic.

Notice, DiPirro is using "Vag rounded BT" for the money graphics (and DSW graphic) - the same font used for the closing titles.  I like this font better than the others. 

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
Open - You are the first Five Four contestants on the Price is Right!

Grandy - Tricky setup for your average contestant.

One Away - Don't overdo it, Drew.  ::)

OB#4 - Oink!

Key - Did anyone notice that the value of the 'prize package' was never revealed?  :-o

SD#2 - That new graphic matches the carpet a tad too closely, no?

SHOWCASES
#1 - $32,000 (-$1060)
#2 - $18,000 (OVER)

SC1 - Those metallic flowy things were really cool looking!
SC2 - That cue accompanying the chef demo sounded like it was from FF '94.
Even the  :dsw: can't stop the VAG!

OVERALL - A good show today, althogh the lineup was a tad short.  These new graphics are not very good, IMO.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
Key - Did anyone notice that the value of the 'prize package' was never revealed? 

They haven't done that since the game's early days. 
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
Really? I must not have not noticed until just now. :embarassed:
(Seriously, they should really start doing that again.)
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline jacaya

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
... And am i right in seeing that they no longer "BLINK" the DSW graphic and win amount??

Was the 1K win on the wheel also BLINKLESS?  but ANIMATED?  (and why haven't they hired me yet to do these for them, LOL)

Yeah. The DSW graphic is now blinkless due to the fireworks and graffiti exploding/falling behind it.

As for the $1000 graphic on the big wheel, it's also blinkless... but it also rolls onto the screen almost Slot Machine-like with each digit/symbol tumbling onto the screen left to right.
That's j-a-c-a-y-a. Just As Confused As You Are.

Offline yabbaguy

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
It more *flips* digit by digit.

Open - You are the first Five Four contestants on the Price is Right!

Oh yeah... looks like another Lawrence didn't get the memo somehow. I was curious what had happened there.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »
Ah, I wanted to comment on that in my original post but forgot. It looked like Drew was taking as long as possible when explaining the one bid rules to get that guy out of the row. Of course, it could just be that he was taking awhile, but he was kinda making it obvious that something was going on.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:11 AM »
The DSW graphic needs a bigger drop-shadow.  That's the main problem with it.  It blended in with the background too much and did not stand out at all.  Give it a bigger shadow for contrast and I think we'd be all set.

I think the new graphics for the $1000 bonus and showcase total were pretty cool.  I liked how the numbers flipped during the SCSD.

The directing is just so must better overall now.  Quick shots at the appropriate times and I don't feel like we're missing things the way we used to.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!