Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/12/2009  (Read 30299 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/12/2009
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Question, how did they pull off that water effect in the old days?  I've seen a clip from the April 7, 1998 show where, when viewed on TV, it looked like the boat was on water and Kathleen was swimming in it but when one actually looked at the presentation, no water was there.  Even Bob commented on the presentation by saying that the audience members had the look of "what's that woman doing?" on their faces when they saw her just moving across door #3 and said "It's the magic of television!  Everyone else, just trust us."
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
I really have been enjoying DiPirro's work.  Catching Rich in the shot when Drew greets him at the top of the show is a nice touch, and I love that the calldown shot of Rich is nice.  The turntable shots are great as well.  Can't wait to see what he continues to add to the production.

Major quip with the third prize in the first Showcase:  "Gay-la"?  You sure you didn't mean gala, Rich?
He pronounced "gala" the way I would have, and probably everyone I know would.  Both "gay-la" and "ga-la" (with an a like "cat") are correct according to the dictionary, but I've almost always only heard it pronounced the way Rich said it.

Laughable gaff with the Parade of Prizes:  I laughed when DiPirro panned from door number two to door number three (which was a very sweet pan) and door number three appeared a shade of brown in the shot because of those stupid green pillars that were behind the car behind door number two.  If that isn't enough to say they ought to stop using those dumb things, I don't know what is.

I agree that this shot really proved that the green screens aren't good, but I have to say, the brown color that got placed on the green door looked kinda good with the orange logo. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:28:09 PM by isucgv »

Offline bigbarkerfan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
Liked the show overall today, but we definitely saw some retro prizes. A $175 one-bid, $12,000 cars? Are we in 1989 or 2009? Pretty good showcases too. I guessed $21,000 for the trips (I've been within less than a $1,000 on the last couple of trip showcases). On the second, when they showed the jewelry, I though to myself that it would be nice to show off the bling in a new Bimmer, and sure enough, there it was!

However, there was a pretty big mistake in the description of the BMW. A BMW 128i has a 230 horsepower engine, not 320. The 135i has a 300 horsepower engine, so it was a reversal in the description. The 128 starts at $30,000 while the 135 starts $35,850, so that's a big price swing even though the error seems small. I'm kind of a car enthusiast and I was confused as to what model the BMW actually was. I guessed $47,000 for the showcase partly because of this. If I was on the show and lost with that guess, would this have been grounds for an appeal had I gone over?

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
OB#2 -  Oops! Fortunately, nobody in the studio seemed to notice.

Ten -  $12,000?  8-O What year did she think this is? 1994?

ME - Dolce & Gabanna = $$$.  I thought the wine cabinet was most.

OB#4 - That Electrolux washer was pricey, not to mention excessively blue.

Pappy - This setup was just screaming 'Pick the light bulb and ointment!'

OB5 - When's the last time we had flatware staged behind the Big Doors?

L7 - Nice win today!

Coggy - As soon as they walked up to the Turntable, I knew they had this game coming up.

SHOWCASES
#1 - $20,000
#2 - S42,000
That green screen effect with the BMW looked like it belonged in a sci-fi horror movie.  Awful.

OVERALL - Ten Chances pretty much ruined the lineup.  Drew really needs to hurry-up the contestant; If that doesn't work, they might need to install a 10-second timer.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
I think Drew's mind was elsewhere today...but at least you could tell he was trying to be a decent host, and for most of the show, it worked.  The only part of the episode where he really seemed disinterested was the Showcase reveal, and even that didn't last very long.

Drew's also been doing a better job of interacting with contestants recently, and of giving commentary during certain games and the Showcase Showdown.  It's far from perfect, and it bothers me that he's just starting to get these things after a year and a half...but hey, if he improves, that's good.

Ten Chances was painful to watch.  It's been a long time since someone's played it that badly.

Drew just shouldn't participate in showcases.  The man can't act.

Was anyone else wondering what they would have done with the script for the second showcase if a man had been bidding on it?

I keep meaning to bring this up, and today's the first time I've remembered it while I was online:  What the heck is up with the dead trees they keep using as a prize backdrop?  They've been showing up regularly for about five or six months, and I just can't figure out what about them is supposed to be attractive.

I could have sworn that I heard Drew say, "Don't waste your chances on the first two prizes, waste your chances on the car."

You did.  I'm sure that's not how he meant it to sound, but it was still funny. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
Range:  Holy mother... shoot the green screen!

One-Bid #2:  LOL!  Drew accidentally pulled out $1 bills!  I bet I know one game that's definitely gonna get played today... ;-)

10C:  Shoot the Line 'Em Up cue!  Wow, I thought Jennifer had a good shot at the car by having six chances, but she wasted them on absolutely dumb guesses.  $23,150 was the only decent guess she put down for it. :headbang:

Most:  Yay!  Half-Off cue! :P

L7:  Wow, I thought Sabrina was dead in the water after losing $3 off the bat.  But she got really lucky on those other three number.

SC #1:  Ugh... another awful Drewcase.

SC #2:  Wow, two BMWs in one week!  The BMW would've looked a lot better if it weren't for the God-forsaken green screen pillars.

My showcase bids:
Trips--$15,107
BMW--$48,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
*Range Game: If you set that range so that the bottom of it touches the halfway point of the scale, you'd win all but two of the setups they've had this year... and those two were only $30 and $2 below that halfway mark.
That water looked too... "planar" to use a geometry term for the green screen.
*OB 2: (Dang Fireball... you beat me to it!)
*10 Chances: It looked like after that first guess, Jennifer was ready to turn around and double-check her guess with the audience... but Drew just hit the red button and went on. (I like that, though.)
*Most Expensive: Can we please stop with the "more expensive than it looks" clothing trap for the MPs? It's really starting to get monotonous and predictable now. You can't fool me! HAHA!
*OB 4: That's a roided washer/dryer. Upwards of $3K??
*L7: By now... that PT Cruiser's $19--- is implanted in my mind.
*OB 6: What?!? I thought that recliner was practically $2500+!!! *headdesk*
*Coming or Going: Ooh... vicious.
*Showcase Bids:
SC 1- $16400
SC 2- $26985 (That's why I'll prefer my cozy spot below the CSS line this year.)  :-)
I didn't mind that segment with Drew, actually.

---

My reaction when I saw the BMW: Hey look, the green screen pillars are burning!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good show.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
The man can't act
C'mon Steve. A nine-year sitcom disagrees with you.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
I don't get why people are wanting to just tell the Ten Chances "zero rule." That was always one of the fun things about the game, to see if the contestant watched and knew the secret. I understand some playings are frustrating, but to tell part of the price just destroys the spirit of the game. We don't need to "dumb down" the games at all, in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly. Besides, doesn't S&P not allow "giving" hints for free in a game such as 10 Chances?

Brian

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »
I don't get why people are wanting to just tell the Ten Chances "zero rule." That was always one of the fun things about the game, to see if the contestant watched and knew the secret. I understand some playings are frustrating, but to tell part of the price just destroys the spirit of the game. We don't need to "dumb down" the games at all, in my opinion.

I concur.  After all, Bob once said "If you watch the show, you will know how to play this game!"  I do admit that, years before I joined this site or started to record or watch the show on a daily basis, after seeing multiple Ten Chances playings, I saw a trend that all prices ended in zero and then it clicked.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:12:08 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »
My, how Brown you've gotten Price.. Did someone hit the Sephia key? LOL
I guess door 3 was on vacation and replaced by his '70's model.  Notice even the green borders have been attacked by the green sucking monster..

BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »
C'mon Steve. A nine-year sitcom disagrees with you.

Well, if he's got the skills, maybe he oughta use them.  The way he acted during the Showcase, you'd think he'd never read from a script before in his life.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MusicMan21

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
I don't know if it's just me, but this week's shows have all been some of the best we've seen in a while...I'm hoping tomorrow continues this trend!

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
My, how Brown you've gotten Price.. Did someone hit the Sephia key? LOL[/img]

Hmm... that dress color looks pretty suspect.

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
...seriously? That was the best execution of the green screen I've ever seen on the program.

No, they shouldn't even be using those darn things the ways they've been using them.  Animated backdrops are just distracting.

Question, how did they pull off that water effect in the old days?

I believe it was simply a graphic effect done similarly to how all the other computer generated graphics are.

He pronounced "gala" the way I would have, and probably everyone I know would.  Both "gay-la" and "ga-la" (with an a like "cat") are correct according to the dictionary, but I've almost always only heard it pronounced the way Rich said it.

I've never heard it pronounced that way before.  I've always heard it pronounced ga-lə and sometimes gä-lə, but never gā-lə.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.