Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009  (Read 71913 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
The Price is Right - April 1, 2009
Production #4693K - Taped March 23, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: mixed
Handoff: Groucho (actually, Gwen)

Jokers of the Day: Manuela Arbelaez, Gwendolyn Osborne and Rachel Reynolds
Guest Joker: Mimi Bobeck (Kathy Kinney - and we knew this day was coming!)
Wearing: Venus (Mimi's wardrobe from her own closet)

Well, here we go. Today we have one big April Fool's joke. Everyone's in Groucho Glasses, and somehow Mimi has become the world's ugliest model. This ought to be fun. Meanwhile, winners become Motley Fools and the losers the other kind. Let's have some fun.

1   Comfort Spa To Go (R)
2-DALAH *800 1-SERIE 3000 3-DEE RON 700 4-JESSICA 1100 ($899)

Dalah plays PUSHOVER for a Yamaha VX Cruiser Waverunner (M)(Match Game think music)

Setup:5 8 6 9 7 9 8 5 0
Pick:5 8 6 9[7 9 8 5]
Price:$9798   APRIL FOOL

2   Wilson His/Hers Tennis Equipment (G)
TAMMY 875 +Sarie 450 +Dee Ron *550 +Jessica 899 ($834)

Dee Ron plays GAS MONEY for an old, run down Ford Fusion SE (Std., AT, Prot, Sync, ParkAssist, Stereo, Mats)(Mimi)

1.(4)$22,370
2.(1)$23,814 CAR APRIL FOOL
(2)$18,673$4000
(3)$20,005$1000
(5)$25,964$2000

3   Victoria's Secret Jammies/Robes/Lingerie (Mimi)
Tammy 732 +Sarie *1 CHETAN 550 +Jessica 666 ($493)

Sarie plays GROCERY GAME for an Ashley Aladio Living Room Group and a (Samsung) 50" Plasma HDTV (M)($5108)

(5) Clorox Bleach (1 gal)3 x 2.19$6.57–14.43
(4) Hot Pockets Panini3 x 3.19$9.5716.14–  4.86
(2) Nesquik Chocolate Milk (16 oz)3 x 1.695.0721.21APRIL FOOL
(1) Blue Star Ointment (2 oz)
(3) Tarn-X Tarnish Remover

SHOWDOWN #1 (with random noises while it spins)
$493Sarie  80 stay.80
834Dee Ron1001.00*$1000*   Bonus 65    Through to Showcase Round
899Dalah  40 + 95OV

4   Wii Game System (M - who'll be spinning on the turntable the whole segment)
Tammy 900 DEBRA *700 Chetan 875 +Jessica 650 ($840)

Debra plays MOST EXPENSIVE

Howard Miller Coco Floor Clock (R)$2985
Howard Miller Regan Floor Clock (Mimi)PICK8425MOTLEY FOOL
Howard Miller Arendal Floor Clock (G)4025

5   Rave Sport Water Inflatables (M)
Tammy 330 ADAM 550 Chetan 450 +Jessica *600 ($834)

Jessica, the last of the "First Four" much to Mimi's chagrin, plays COVER UP for a Denver booted Pontiac Vibe GT (Std., Onstar, AT, Cover, Sunroof, Alarm)(Mimi)

Setup    1 1st Try [2][3][6] 5   7
8 3 2nd Try [2][3][6] 2 [5]
0 5 6 3rd Try [2][3][6] 8 [5]   APRIL FOOL   ($23,615)
9 6 1 7
2 7 3 9 5
  3 3 1 2 2
$1 4 9 4 0

NOTE TO PRODUCERS: Keep the Match Game music on this game. Beats the normal think music by a mile. Seriously.

6   Pawley's Island Canopied Hammock (Mimi)
Tammy *810 Adam 1000 Chetan 1001 STEPHANIE 399 ($839)

Tammy plays FREEZE FRAME for 2 Lantz Milan 150 Motorscooters (R)

49$3598
APRIL
FOOL

SHOWDOWN #2
$834Jessica25 +   5.30
839Tammy80 stay.80
16,275Debra20 + 75.95Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Debra, the only Motley Fool today, has the honor.

SC1-Debra Broyhill Northern Lights Bedroom Group
Strobel Supplepedic Sleep Set (G)
Heartland Paragon Stainless Gas Range (R)
7n Mediterranean Cruise (via Rome)(Mimi)
BID$46,000
PRICE21,429
DIFFOVER
SC2-Dee Ronn (GE) Washer/Dryer
Stainless Fridge/Freezer
Stainless Dishwasher (Mimi)
Ford Flex SE (Std., V6, AT, Sync, RemStart, Prot)(M)
(Everything, except Mimi, is facing the wrong way)
BID$       1
PRICE33,338
DIFF–33,337
TOTAL$35,172

Today's Pricing Games: 1 for 6
Total Winnings: $56,612

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:44:31 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
Even though there was only one win all day, this was by far the funnest show I have ever seen in ALL of the show's 37 years.  I hope they do it next year.

I loved the different game show references with WoF, J!, and MG.  The opening title were hilarious and the c'mon downs at the beginning were kinda cool on the foreign languages.  The Bill Cullen Studio shoutout was fantastic, but I'm sure it'll ruffle feathers here.  The 666 bid wasn't scripted, but it turned out hilarious too.  You know she didn't mean it until it was too late.  Aww, forget it...the whole show was nothing but fun.  That's what I want.  FUN!

One negative was definitely the Floor Clock Overload on Most Expensive.  I was really hoping Drew would say something like "You're actually playing for $10,000."  Oh well, the hardest setup was the only one that won.

FIVE STAR SHOW!!!  NO, SIX STAR SHOW!!!

Oh!  The Match Game closing was awesome!!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:35:31 PM by JoePlinko »
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »
I'm scared I'll be in a minority here, but I haven't had so much fun watching the show in ages! I felt like the energy was super high in the BB Studio, and some really amazing contestants came on down. Drew was on top of his game and then some, and Kathy Kinney as Mimi actually did a decent and subtly funny job modeling the prizes. I loved how they mixed backgrounds (such as snow for the water ski) and was always wondering what was coming next. I loved the subtle things, especially the Cliffhangers Music at the Big Wheel (my favorite of its assorted noises) and the Match Game music for Pushover and Cover Up. The attention to detail today was meticulous! I loved the broken down car in Gas Money, too--it just added more to the effect!

Overall, I don't think we could have asked for a better April Fool's episode. It was just a blast. I'm sure a lot of people around here will have hated it and complain about how it was a slap in the face to tradition. I'm not one of them. I think when you have a chance to let loose and have fun (and it was clear EVERYONE was enjoying themselves on the show today) doing something special, take it while you can get it.

Awesome, awesome episode.

Offline InanimateCarbonRod

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
Definitely a parody, but I enjoyed it.  

What I liked:

--Shoutout to Bill Cullen=awesome

--I wonder how accurate Rich really was with those foreign "Come On Down's" used in the opening.  Plus, the bizzaro-world logo at the beginning was fun.  

--I loved hearing those Match Game cues.  It never really crossed my mind that they could be used for Thinking cues.  

--I think they did a good job incorporating Kathy Kinney as a model.  It didn't distract from the gameplay, and it was pretty funny for the most part.

--Yay for Gas Money!  I would have picked $23,814, but Dee Ron did a bad job at picking prices.  Why would you start with the one closest to the one you picked?  

--I had a feeling Mimi had the most expensive clock.  

What I didn't like:

--Those glasses.  Boy those wore on me fast.  Everyone kept losing them or taking them off.  I'll put this one into "good in theory, bad in practice" file.  

--I really didn't like that Dee Ron couldn't see the prizes he was bidding on in the Showcase.  I know they're trying to get down with goofiness, but that really left a bad taste in my mouth.  

They put a lot of thought into this, which I appreciate.  If they're going to go overboard, they might as well go all-out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:45:09 PM by InanimateCarbonRod »

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
By God, this was terrific.  The MG music used not only in Cover Up and Push Over, but also at the end of the show after the Showcases.  Anyone else notice the final of the First Four, Rich didn't even say "Come On Down", or "Gyere Le", or "Ελάτε κάτω", or something, just the contestant's name.  And, yes Joe Capitano, the MG think music does blow the current think music on Cover Up out of the water by a mile.  I also loved the Cliffy music slow down as the wheel slowed down.  Personally, the Groucho glasses seemed a bit overdone.  Ah well, that's the price we pay for an April Fool's show.  Overall, six stars out of five.

P.S. Anyone get a screencap of the reversed TPiR logo?  PLEASE POST IT!!
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
I thought it was a fun show. I especially liked the Match Game music and the different wheel sound effects.  :oldlol:
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »
Actually, given the potential for distractions and focus on Drew with today's "Groucho glasses" gimmick, I thought there were few, if any, such moments. It played out quite well.

Even though there was only one win all day, the gameplay was pretty good. I too thought that it was odd to offer three clocks in Most Expensive, but hey, everyone's got their own tastes so I suppose, to each his own! (If it were me, though, and remember I speak only for myself, I'd keep the least expensive one and sell the other two at a flea market for cash).

I also liked the fact that several of the crew members got shown on TV. Makes them feel important, and shows that Drew gets along with them great. When everyone gets along, the BBS is indeed the happiest place on earth. Now, if they had only gotten surviving members of the families of Bill Cullen, Dennis James and Johnny Olson to come on down ... .

For the record — Yes, I am sure that had Gas Money been won, he would have gotten a new model (perhaps the new 2010 model?), not the beat-up one shown.

Great to hear Splendido again! InanitmateCarbonRod: They used the MG cue as "think music" for years on that game show.

Brian

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
Most Expensive: When was the last time three prizes were so similar? a floor clock, a floor clock, a floor clock?  Is this the first time that the contestant playing this game could NOT say "the floor clock" to state her pick?

Coverup: Joe, not only was it Denver booted, it was ticketed all over, too.

Grocery Game: Anyone else notice that the clip on the tv was going backward?

Kathy Kinney: I must have been in a cave the last few months.  I believed them when they said this is Mimi, since I don't remember ever seeing her on air.  I didn't know this was coming.

15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline InanimateCarbonRod

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
InanitmateCarbonRod: They used the MG cue as "think music" for years on that game show.

Whoops, my bad.  Still learning the ropes, I suppose.   ;)

Offline rebel2003

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »
Now, as a game show critic and someone who has been on the TPIR case for a lot of what they have done wrong over this season. It is time to praise them when they did something right.

This was inspired lunacy. The attention to detail was impressive. Not everything was a hit. But the Match Game music was AWESOME and off the charts. You know they did everything right when they changed the FONTS on every Grocery Game Card.

Much props to the TPIR crew on this one. Show of the year so far...so far away from a pie fight and hockey fight, no?

Jason Block

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
That was one hilarious show. Here are my own thoughts on this:

Opening: Rich telling the first four to "Come on Down!" in different languages and the backwards TPIR logo were just the beginning. And Studio 33 is now the Bill Cullen Studio! Drew as the host of the Craig Ferguson Show? Well, by the time they show Mimi, there'll already have been two Drew Carey Show references here.

Pushover (with Match Game '7x think music!): One push too short...

Gas Money: Mimi returns! Too bad he lost, and I, for one, didn't expect the big buzzer to precede the losing horns.

Grocery Game (with the prices in different random fonts instead of that hated More or Less script): She thought three was her lucky number (buying three of everything), but turns out, it wasn't that lucky, because that Evil Random Nesquik Drink did her in.

SCSD1 & 2: Random funny noises while the Wheel is spinning! My favorite would have to be the Cliff Hangers music that slows down once the wheel does. One thing I would've liked to hear, though, is the One Away horn. That would've been hilarious!

Most Expensive (for three floor clocks!): I'll bet Mimi would've beaten up Debra if she hadn't picked #2 (the prize where she was at). Thankfully, we'd never have to find out.

Cover Up (with Match Game '7x think music!): I picked 9 as the fourth number, and lost. I remember when GM cars used to end in -95, but apparently, that is no longer the case.

Freeze Frame: For a moment, we almost didn't get to see the splitscreen shot, but luckily, DiPirro came to the rescue. $3598 was the only one that looked right to me, as two of the same thing usually end in an even number.

Showcases: I liked the Showcase where everything was shown backwards, and best of all, they played Splendido and that jazzy variant of the '83 car cue. Good call with Dee Ronn's $1 bid, because I knew Debra bid way too much.

Miscellaneous: Lots of funny stuff on this show. I especially enjoyed the Turntable spinning around endlessly, and it almost looked like Manuela was going to get motion sickness. And I never thought that time would come when Mimi would get through a whole episode of a show starring Drew Carey without calling him a pig, not even once, but I knew she was doing that in her mind. And they played the Match Game '7x theme to end the show. What a great nod to a classic Goodson-Todman game show, although I somehow expected them to play the old Family Feud theme somewhere in the show, and was disappointed when they didn't. Great April Fool's episode, and a YouTube-worthy one at that. Can't wait to see what they do for Season 38.

COUNTDOWN TO BOB: 15 days
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:59:36 PM by Teddy »

Offline tvnutboy

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »
I somehow expected them to play the old Family Feud theme somewhere in the show

Just remember they do it every time they open "Grand Game"...but that's just being trivial (Maybe next year, they can use FF's Winner Cue to do it...Never too early to plan for next year). I haven't seen the show yet, but based on the descriptions it looks like it can almost forgive most of the "Bad" shows this year...Almost. Can't wait to watch later.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
Well, that was different.  Interesting, even.  Certainly not as bad as I was imagining it, but I wasn't blown away like many of you guys were.  As long as they can keep this sort of show to once a year, anyway.

You know, today would've been the perfect day for them to use the Shell Game table for Grocery Game again.  Speaking of Grocery Game, the Tarn-X is back again?  Guess that means it was a Now price back on Monday.

Push Over and Freeze Frame together felt oddly appropriate today :).

I really don't understand why Dee Ron picked $23,814 as "not the car price" when he picked $22,370 for the car price.  It's one of those things that, even if they've never seen the game before, you would think people would instinctively realize that they should pick the price they feel is least likely the car price.

Call me a fool, but I guessed $9850 in Push Over.  Guess there's a distinct line between weird and evil.

Despite that the best-looking even-numbered price was correct in Freeze Frame, I'd hardly call it easy.  I myself fell into the "there's no way they're that cheap" trap.

Most Expensive was pretty easy considering all three prizes were floor clocks.  Guess it helps that the one that looked the most expensive was the most expensive, anyway.

Seeing the presentation for the fourth item up for bids, with the turntable continuing to spin even as Drew and Debra were walking back to Most Expensive, was admittedly very nifty.

Online FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
What a show, never have I laughed so hard in all my life!  Right from the opening, I was in stitches

Push Over  WOOT, Match Game think music!  I almost thought someone was going to throw in a Dumb Dora question or something

Gas Money MIMI!  Enough said!

Grocery Game One chocolate milk too many, what a heart-breaking loss

SCSDs To hear different sound effects in both SCSDs instead of the standard beeps was hilarious.  To think the Yodelly Guy music in SCSD1 got Dee Ron a dollar

IUFB4 Poor Manuela!  I thought she was going to be sick after that

ME 10K worth of clocks!  A very hard set-up, but great to see it won

Cover Up Missed it by one number :-(  It was hilarious to see a wheel clamp and parking tickets all over the car (reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer's car gets mass-ticketed parked outside the World Trade Center)

Freeze Frame Mid-air miniscooters, LOL!  But that was screaming to be won

SCs 1812 Overture for a bedroom and Splendido for a car, whoa!  Dee Ron used the $1 strategy effectively.  And how great was it to hear the Match Game theme played at the end of the show?

Overall I've said it many times in chat, only two words can describe today's show...

EPIC WIN!
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
This show was incredible!  If they put this much effort into detail on everything else, there will be nothing left to complain about!

Joe, props for putting the losers in green and the winner in red in your recap.  Nice touch.