Author Topic: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Week 2  (Read 10632 times)

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Week 2
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 12:16:39 PM »
I have always loved Grand Game.  Green is my favorite color, and since Grand Game's set is mostly green, I love the Grand Game set.  Grand Game you can win 10 grand, in Freeze Frame you just win one prize, and the prize might be a grandfather clock or an unusable vehicle.  Freeze Frame I've never really liked.  It suffers from Range Game Syndrome.  Freeze Frame is probably my least favorite one prize game on the show.
Grand Game 11, Freeze Frame 0.

Dice Game vs Hit Me
Dice Game is a neat car game.  It's quick, so we see it a lot.  It has simple rules roll the die guess whether the number is higher or lower.  It is very luck based.  If you roll a 5 and guess lower and the number is 6, it creates a painful loss.
Hit Me is very easy for me, because I'm good at math.  What bugs me with Hit Me is that people don't know to pick the price ending in 0 to get the 10 or face card.  Basic, simple, 4th grade multiplication people don't see to get.  People make this game so much harder than it actually is.  Roger could make it more difficult to reward LFATs.

This is a real toss up
Dice Game 6, Hit Me 5

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 12:22:32 PM »
Grand Game has all the fun and drama with $10,000 at stake and figuring out four products below the target price has its excitement. Freeze Frame has many possibilities to choose and has the audience helping out but has about a pitch of drama involved.

Grand Game wins 9-2.

Dice Game is neat to play but a little evil pursues when a number you roll cannot always be Higher or Lower. Hit Me is also a neat game where the game of Blackjack is involved but trying to figure out fake prices of products divided by numbers can be such a uninspired matter.

Dice Game wins 8-3.

Offline Scorpz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 04:50:48 PM »
Grand Game good. Freeze Frame good, but it can't quite compare to Grand Game. Grand Game wins 6-5.

Dice Game decent. Hit Me too complicated for contestants and too frustrating. Dice Game wins 10-1.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »
Grand Game vs. Freeze Frame. Freeze Frame is a nice 1 prize quickie, cool looking set, neat shutter sound made as the prices go around, BUT Grand Game is just that GRAND. First ever GP cash only game, great set-the color of money-GREEN!! Great suspense-Bob's reveals are awesome in this game. If this was any other game Freezey was up against it'd have a chance, but against Grand Game? It doesn't.

Grand Game wins 11-0.

Dice Game v. Hit Me.
Dice Game-good quick car game. No frills, great set, great suspense at times when it comes down to whether or not a contestant should have or should not have gone against the odds-like today's playing. Hit Me-its a good game, but what gets me is that contestants are oblivious to the prices shown, forget about multiplication, and just downright get confused at times. Dice Game wins based on simplicity.

Dicey 8-3.

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 05:19:27 PM »
I have never liked Freeze Frame.  It's boring, it can take unnecessarily long if the contestant takes too long to make a decision, and has some of the most "dead air" in the show if the contest is waiting for the board to spin 3/4 of the way around again.  Grand Game, while definitely not my favorite cash game, is still exciting, and Bob's teasing the reveal is always fun.  Grand Game wins 11-0.

Like many others, I see an upset here.  I like card-based games and blackjack, but Hit Me just isn't that exciting.  As others have pointed out, it should be fairly straightforward, but rarely is.  Dice Game was my favorite game as a young child watching the show.  I still enjoy it, especially as its starting to get played with more cars starting with the number 2.  Dice Game wins 9-2.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 07:11:06 PM »
Grand Game:  Classic.  Only cash game that hasn't gone pastel;  its green is perfect, representing the cash you can win.  Simple and unique pricing concept.  Great reveal.

Freeze:  OK game, the camera clicks are cool.  But a quickie one-prize game has no chance against GG.

Grand wins 9-2.

Hit Me:  A fun one based on the concept of blackjack;  I like it because strategy can be used in this game as much as just about any other game;  look for the item ending in 0!

Dice:  Another fun one, based on dice rolling.  Set works for what it needs to do.  A bit too much luck for my liking, but I do like it when it comes out and it's my opinion that this seeding is too low for it.

Close matchup, but Hit Me takes it 6-5.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:40 PM »
GRAND GAME VS. FREEZE FRAME

BEGIN BATTLE!

Grand Game is a very exciting and easy game, giving out $10,000 for doing barely any work.  The only cash game set that is NOT pastel-coloured (hooray for not destroying my eyes!) and very majestic.  It is still frustrating, however, when a contestant loses by picking a product that is obviously over the target price (supplements, pain relievers, etc.) or takes forever asking the audience to help... which seems to be what Freeze Frame suffers from.  Sure, looking for help isn't wrong, but when the correct looking prices flashes by, the contestant snaps and captures the wrong price by accident.  (Horrible use of puns here...)  Plus, it takes a long time to make a guess and the prizes are relatively uninterestingly (as with most one prize games).  

Grand Game wins 10-1

DICE GAME VS. HIT ME

BEGIN BATTLE!

Dice Game is an interactive game, because they could've just easily made the concept boring by already giving the numbers and asking whether it's higher or lower (wait... that sounds like Bonkers! ;-)), but instead, you get to control your own fate, and with a flashy set of yellow and red to boot.  Sure, the cars are usually cheaper, but contestant interaction, if time allows it, makes up for the lack of a big prize.  Hit Me is just basically Blackjack, Price-style, and the pricing portion is ridiculously easy if you know how to multiply by 1 and 10, BUT the contestants sometimes don't understand the rules of multiplication and randomly pick products.  And if that results in a win, that makes it even worse, because they don't deserve it.  I do give it props for having a cool blue/gold set, and the usage of big cards.  They're not the best games in my book...

Dice Game wins 7-4

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 07:39:46 PM »
Grand Game is my favorite cash game, and is fun, exciting, and suspenseful, with a great set. Freeze Frame, on the other hand, is just an average game that's nowhere near as exciting as Grandy.

Grand Game wins, 10-1.

Between Dice Game and Hit Me, however, it's a bit more difficult. Both games are OK, but neither of them are favorites of mine. Ultimately, I like Dice Game better, because it has a really cool set, and is pretty fun. Hit Me is brought down by the contestants that usually play it, and isn't really as fun as Dice Game.

Dice Game wins, 7-4.

Offline tpir1983

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 01:15:47 AM »
Grand Game is a great game, you have a heck of a chance to snag $10,000. It's also very exciting. Freeze Frame is played for a decent prize, but not as exciting.

Grand Game 8-3

Dice Game is awesome and happens to be one of my favorite games. Great set, and great premise to the game. Hit Me is also a good game, based on Blackjack, and sometimes played for some good prizes. This one is a great contest but I'll have to give it to Dice Game.

Dice Game 7-4

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 02:45:04 AM »
Grand Game vs. Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame is a "quickie" (or at least inteded to be one) pricing game which is played for four-digit prices - and that just isn't likely to change. Sadly, it's also a game that seems to fall victim to Range Gameitis (except, well, it isn't Range Game).

The set is okay, the "camera shutter" sound effect is kind of cool, but that's about all I can say for this game.

Maybe I'm a bit more biased toward Grand Game than I should be, since this is one of the two cash games I grew up with. This game rewards LFAT's (or at least those who shop and know prices), while it can bite you in the rear if you don't.

I've always loved the set, and of course there is the most important thing of all: The Bob Factor. You can never go wrong with a game where Bob can build up the suspense and drive the contestants nuts by dragging out the reveal.

I'll go with...

"Where are you from, again?"

I'll go...

"What do you do for a living?"

I'm going with Grand Game, 11 to 0.

Hit Me vs. Dice Game:

I like Hit Me, don't get me wrong. This was a game I always enjoyed while growing up, and time has not changed my opinion. I've always liked the set (and you can't go wrong with those giant cards), and let's face it, there are far worse games you can play for a single prize...

But going up against Dice Game? No.

Dice Game has been another one I've loved since I was a kid. From the cool set (and you know you're getting old when it was still WHITE and red when you started watching it), to the fun of getting to roll large dice, this is a game I rarely find myself disappointed with.

Sure, the game depends on luck, but what makes up for that is that nearly playing is exciting - whether it's a nail-biting win, or a heartbreaking loss.

I smell a 13-4 upset coming... Dice Game, 9 to 2
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
The way things are looking right now, Dice Game is going to win in a landslide.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 03:54:06 PM »
Just a friendly reminder to all posters that voting will end on this week's matchup on Thursday at 5pm.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
Grandy vs. Freezy: Freeze Frame is not without its merits.  It has a cool concept, the set looks great, and it has a unique sound effect.  It does suffer from Range Game syndrome, however, though that's more the fault of the contestants and not the game itself.  Compared to Grand Game, it is no contest.  Grandy has a great cue (I've always loved it), can be quite exciting at the end, and also can be made quite difficult.  It's the best casher in my opinion.

Grand Game wins 9-2.

Hit vs. Dice: I'll take Dice Game over Money Game any day, but that's not going to save it against probably the most underrated GP game.  Hit Me has a great concept and can be won every time if you know the trick and can spot the right products.  Even a poor playing is entertaining.  Unfortunately, Dice by definition must be played for cheap cars, and it is rarely overly exciting.

Hit Me wins 8-3.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
Freeze Frame...is there one good thing that can be said about this?  This is a game of "Pull the lever at random and pray you've picked the right random moment", or at least it seems to be most of the time it's played.  Not to mention the pacing of the game suffers from Pick-A-Pair Syndrome (having to wait for the right time cuts a good 20 seconds off the show).  At least the sound effect's decent, I guess.

Even if Grand was only a mediocre game, it would walk over Freeze Frame 11-0, but as it stands, Grand's one of the true classics of the show.  It might be a little easy, sure, but man oh man is it exciting.  If I could, I'd give this one to Grand Game 15 to -4, but since that's not in the rules, we'll have to settle for Grand Game 11, Freeze Frame 0.

Hit Me?  I like this game.  The set's interesting, and smart people (by which I mean those who can multiply) can win this pretty much every time.  Unfortunately, this suffers from occasional 'forced wins', where no matter how badly the contestant does, they still win by default if the house busts.  

Dice Game is a relatively simple car game, which gets bonus points for the actual rolling of the dice.  Something about rolling those dice across that little table is just fascinating.  Once you get past that, though, I don't very much like the game itself though.  A bit too luck-based, even if that luck makes for some dramatic moments.

I like these games about equally (why couldn't this have been the 8/9, or better, next round's 4/5?), but I'll have to give the edge to one of them...Dice Game 6, Hit Me 5 solely because Dice offers cars and Hit Me doesn't.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
Grand Game vs Freeze Frame: Grand Game is a game that can be pretty suspensful and exciting.  It also has the better prize and the better set.  I like Freeze Frame's set too and it is easy to understand.  I also like how the set pieces move in the game.  But I have to go with Grand Game here since it is a better game to watch in general.
Grand Game wins 8-3.

Dice Game vs Hit Me: Both games have a nice set.  Dice Game can be suspensful at least sometimes while Hit Me is most of the time quite predictable with what cards are with what products.  I like Hit Me's creativity though.  Dice Game is also the more fun game but Hit Me can be fun.  But in general I like Dice Game more.
Dice Game wins 7-4.