Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2010 (April Fools Price III)  (Read 60906 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2010 (April Fools Price III)
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:44 AM »
It's all worth it if it makes Drew suddenly turn into a funny comic instead of a bumbling host. Sure, he wasn't great when doing the hosting stuff, he never will be.

I totally disagree.  Drew can be a good host; he just isn't most of the time.  The last week or so, he's been doing a pretty decent job, and all the distractions on this episode caused that to fly out the window for the day.  I just hope he's back on top of his game today (stupid thing to post during the day's broadcast, I know, but I'm watching it on tape tonight because I have to go to work in a few minutes).
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:15 AM »
It wasn't the disaster I was afraid it was going to be...although I have a feeling that's because most of the disastrous stuff was edited out (there was clearly a ton of editing today).

I noticed they edited out the turntable motor noise when Mimi first spun around on the air version.  It was left in the preview clip.

I would have loved to have seen an appearance by Julia Sweeney as Pat....

She's made it pretty clear she's not interested in performing Pat again.  Also, Julia lives in Illinois now... that would be a pretty expensive cameo to pull off.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
It sounded to me like the calldowns were edited in.  Maybe they had their real names called in the studio.

The call downs were edited in just two days before this show aired.  Originally, I understand that the calldown was phrased:  "Pat, Move it!" for each of the 9 contestants.  A decision was made to change it to "Pat, Come on Down" just recently, resulting in some costly editing expenses.
John

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »
I don't know how people can say that this show was better than last years.  There was really nowhere to go but down after that amazing show.

This one passed, but the Pat joke was really bad.  When Mimi has to explain the joke, you know it doesn't work.

I was glad to see that Kathy/Kathy decided to make the setups fairly easy.

Although the themed products might be funny today, I would like to see them less on regular shows (still keep Scott employed though).

The One Away bit was funny, as were the male models and the hiding of the real models throughout the show.

The second showcase fooled me, and was probably one of the best things on the show this year.

On the other hand, the 2nd showcase WAS THE FRIGGIN BOMB...[Drew's] hosting was good.
The Pat crap totally made this show blow and blow hard. 

Those are mutually exculsive.  I guess you didn't like the show at all, but liked parts?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
The call downs were edited in just two days before this show aired.  Originally, I understand that the calldown was phrased:  "Pat, Move it!" for each of the 9 contestants.  A decision was made to change it to "Pat, Come on Down" just recently, resulting in some costly editing expenses.

I guess I have a good ear then.  I'm glad they changed it.  It would have sounded too rude the other way.

The actual retail price is...

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
Did anybody else notice that it looked like every Pat in the audience got a free copy of Kathy Kinney's book?
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
I can't believe so many people are so pissed off at the "Pat" gag... It was April 1st! The whole idea of this day is to pull pranks and keep people off balance. I liked the idea of the gag running throughout the whole show. The entire show was tongue planted firmly in cheek, the best example of that being the male models. For years, people have asked and even demanded the show have men model the prizes. This episode was the show's way of saying with a wink and a smile, "do you really want the Beauties replaced with men?" I felt this year's episode was much more purposely subtle in the humour, compared to last year's zaniness.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
Am I the only person here who still sees the rather significant problem with the showcases?

You're absolutely right....if this were to go beyond one day.

In chat, I recall Willy made a comment that if Pat #2 were a LFAT, then he would bid the same as Pat #1.  It struck me how incredibly awesome that would be....until they revealed the MINI.

So, there are some interesting strategic arguments for a case like this.  But, given it was just one day, are they really worth going over?

I can't believe so many people are so pissed off at the "Pat" gag... It was April 1st! The whole idea of this day is to pull pranks and keep people off balance.

If you have read all the comments above, it should be clear to you that even the producers had second thoughts about the gag.  Just ask yourself if you would feel OK with being called Pat on national television, your one chance to shine on TV.  And if you still think it is cute, then so be it.

Loved the models.  Loved SC2.  One Away made me chuckle some.  Pat annoyed me.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
Awesome show all the way around. 

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
This episode is reairing right now in the Eastern time zone.  It'll be the rerun for the rest of the country as well.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
Here in LA area, it's prempted because the local news is covering pre-Lakers championship parade that will take place later.  Maybe they'll show the episode afterwards?
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
Here in LA area, it's prempted because the local news is covering pre-Lakers championship parade that will take place later.  Maybe they'll show the episode afterwards?

I doubt it seeing as it's a rerun anyways and it wasn't a nationwide preemption.. It's not that special of an epside anyways..
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
What are you talking about?  It was the most special episode of the year!
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline offerta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
on the priceisright.com you can see the full episode!

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
Because of this repeat I just ordered a set of that Heys luggage (for SIGNIFICANTLY less on Amazon) so that can be filed under the "things you've bought because of PIR" category.
I apologise in advance.