Author Topic: On The Spot  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
On The Spot
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:35:38 AM »
Anyone have an idea why this game was retired?  The game didn't seem that complicated and only required guess the prices of three items on one line, though the game seems more ideal for grocery items rather than small prizes.

On the other hand you have games like That's Too Much where no one seems to win and the only thing that is a given is where Bob make sure the contestant shouts when he or she thinks a price is over the cost of the car.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: On The Spot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:41 AM »
From the FAQ- On the Spot was retired because it was confusing and it had a low win percentage.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:31 AM »
According to the FAQ, it was due to confusing rules (at least to the contestants) and that caused it to have a low winning percentage.  Although you and I might've understood it, if the contestant didn't, then what's much use of the game?  

I still think that it could've been alleviated if it was played on a Pathfinder-esque board with lit up spots and paths to limit the confusion.  I know someone had a similar idea with a picture, but I don't recall where or when it was in the Archives.

And That's Too Much?  Read my rant in the Field of 64. :-)

EDIT: Gah beaten to the punch!  I knew thinking out a post isn't a good idea all the time. :-P

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:18 AM »
It comes as no surprise that TTM lost to Safe Cracker.  I haven't seem the game won one this season.  As this rate the game will probably be played less frequently, let alone be retired.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »
I *really* doubt that Safe Crackers is in any danger of being retired.  There's always a 50-50 shot of winning.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »
He means TTM.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 01:59:24 AM »
Not that it makes the statement any more likely to be accurate.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:23:20 AM »

Train wrote:
It comes as no surprise that TTM lost to Safe Cracker.  I haven't seem the game won one this season.  As this rate the game will probably be played less frequently, let alone be retired.

A long losing streak does not a retired game make. Car games like Any Number, Switcheroo, Card Game, Line em Up, Lucky $even and Temptation have all at one time or another had losing streaks of ten or more games. See any of them retired?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »
Heck, I'm not sure Temptation has ever had a winning record.  After Season 4, it had only 21 wins in 134 playings.  I'm not even sure it was intended to be won a lot.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »
Temptation is the only game that I can think of at the moment that you can completely tank and still be a "winner." While not a win in the TPIR definition, if you walk away with the prizes and forget about the car (which admittedly very few people do), you're likely to have won as much as someone who plays many of the 1P games. And if there's a fishbowl of cash, you've probably done a lot better than a winner of Clock Game.

I'd have to look at the stats closely, and I don't know if they even include people who bail out, but dollar for dollar I wouldn't be surprised if Temptation didn't have a better record than it looks.
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »

Alfonzo wrote:

Train wrote:

A long losing streak does not a retired game make. Car games like Any Number, Switcheroo, Card Game, Line em Up, Lucky $even and Temptation have all at one time or another had losing streaks of ten or more games. See any of them retired?

Alfonzo makes a valid point.  Five Price Tags went for over a year and a half without being won in Seasons 32-33-34.  Triple Play, a very popular game to many fans, up until this Season was not won since February 2005.
John

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:38:05 AM »
Yeah...TTM, while not won all that often, is straightforward.  You see a line of prices and stop when you exceed the price of the car.  Is it the show's fault that no one knows what cars cost anymore?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy