Author Topic: Taping Reports - April 15th & 16th (July 2nd & 4th shows)  (Read 712 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Taping Reports - April 15th & 16th (July 2nd & 4th shows)
« on: April 20, 2024, 02:56:08 PM »
Hello all!

I was at the show earlier this week and figured I would give an end of Season 52 taping report for your consumption. No spoilers, obviously, and I've already written my spoiler filled reports for posts when the shows actually air.

For my birthday, my wife got me plane tickets to LA to see my two best friends and two tapings of the Price is Right. I managed to score priority tickets for the April 15th and 16th tapings at 8am. The April 15th taping will be airing July 2nd, and the April 16th taping is the last of the season and will be airing on July 4th. We were all warned ahead of time that the taping on the 16th was the 4th of July show and that we should wear American themed beach wear (no swimsuits, though!).

My last taping was at the Bob Barker Studio ten years ago when I was selected as a contestant (I joined the $300 club). On the 15th, I arrived to the Charis Mission Church about 15 minutes before 8 and there was already a healthy line of standbys. If you haven't been to Haven Studios yet, it's really easy to get to (right off the I-5) with lots of parking, but it is also kind of in the middle of nowhere, so don't expect to go eat somewhere afterwards or before. I was number 111, handed a contestant agreement to review and sign, and waited. I was in line with Larry (Lawrence) and his wife; Larry was a contestant around the same time I was, played Coming or Going, and won a trip to New York - he lost in the showdown. This taping was full and had some standbys turned away - approximately 120 priority seats and the rest were standby (176 total audience members).

We got into the choir room holding area within about 20 minutes and began to hurry up and wait. Snacks, coffee, and water are available and the room is kept comfortable. They're currently showing episodes from 2017 in the waiting area. Contestant interviews are done quickly now - within probably 20 minutes of arriving in the choir room, we were pulled into the "yoga room" (seriously) across the way and interviewed by Hannah. She's good about keeping the energy up, although the variety of her questions are not nearly as wide as Stan's. I felt really good about my interview and we got shuffled back into the Choir Room.

We were barely finished watching 2017 show and got pulled to the studio - we were seated before 10:25 and taping started promptly at 10:25. I sat right in front of Door 4 and should be visible for most of the show.

Drew was a little off during this show based on my last experience with him in 2013. He kept repeatedly taking breaks to go back stage. He really only spent one segment talking to the studio audience and it seemed like he had something going on. Also, they of course tell everybody to not wear costumes, but as you'll see on this show, one of the contestants selected very much bordered on "wearing a costume." I was honestly shocked he was selected, but he had a good "television personality" and that's really what matters for the show. There was one quick stop down when a prize wasn't ready behind the doors, and that led Drew to go off on his "it's a f**ing bedroom set!" comedy set, which drew a good laugh from the audience (it was not a f'ing bedroom set).

This show to me was mostly unmemorable - it was very run-of-the-mill and the prizes were "Eh". We were out of the studio during the early part of the 12 o'clock hour and the show was done mostly live-to-tape. There were no major problems during taping, other than the previously mentioned stop down.

One bit of news out of this taping: George recorded promos for a nationwide contestant search. He did promos for Boston, New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia ("bring your knives!"), Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, Sacramento, and Los Angeles (and maybe a few others).

I went back the next day for the 4th of July show and got to the lot around 7:55; we were told this is the last episode of the season and to expect "prime time prizes". There was a very long line of standbys, stretching back well into the parking lot, and a line had formed by 4am. There was an angry gentleman yelling at his partner and others about how he wasn't getting into the show, and yelled at me "YOU'RE NOT GETTING INTO THE PRICE IS RIGHT TODAY!" I showed my priority ticket, got the contestant agreement, got number 116 and got into The Price is Right. xlx The standbys started at 128 and we once again had a full audience (176) - many were turned away. The people next to me had never been to the show before (one hadn't even watched it!) and a group of flight attendants for Continental/United - they were absolutely lovely. I taught them how to buy seized & forfeited property from the Government while we were waiting.  :oldlol:

Much like the first day's taping, shuffled into the choir room, shuffled into the yoga room. Hannah remembered me from yesterday and we had a conversation about that, and she wanted me to elaborate on something from my first interview. I didn't really feel all that good about it, but you never know!

We were seated in the studio a little bit before 10:35 and taping started at 10:35. I was originally seated right up front behind Contestants Row, but got moved right before taping started a row back - I thought it was really strange, but the person that took my spot was apparently with the gentlemen that were seated next to me and just got separated from his group. Drew was in a much better mood for this taping and only took two breaks. Maybe he just doesn't like Mondays? The prizes were not "prime time" quality, but they were above-average from a normal day time show.

On both shows, cars were spoiled twice! Why? Because the model 'driving' the car left the keys in the vehicles and they honked. After one person won their one-bid, they came on stage and we all clearly heard a "HONK HONK!" as Drew was talking to the contestant.

Also, they used the cheapest grocery product I've seen on the show in probably 40 years. Drew even joked that "we haven't seen [price] since Bob gave away Rice-a-Roni!" I hope they leave in his commentary.

Was I selected? Y'all will have to watch. Happy to answer any other questions if I can.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 03:17:13 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
Re: Taping Reports - April 15th & 16th (July 2nd & 4th shows)
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:16:13 PM »
Interesting that attendance ticked way up towards the end of the season. I am going back in about a month to see more tapings and will be curious as to what attendance looks like as it gets closer and closer to officially being summer.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore