Author Topic: 1972 TPiR cues available soon?  (Read 89717 times)

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 1972 TPiR cues available soon?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
Aw, I won't be able to hear any 1972 cues in the clear?

Sure you will!  Subscribe like the rest of us are going to do.

The only way to manually accumulate cues is by using SoundForge Audio Studio to record the audio and create our own mp3 files without lifting directly from the site.

You don't understand why Terry is firewalling his holdings, do you?
Bazinga!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
The watermarking isn't something you can hear, but it is a signal that is embedded in the file.... It should be a non-issue as far as quality is concerned.

Ah.  I completely misunderstood.  I'm used to dealing with sites like Megatraxx that loops "preview" in all of their sample tracks until you purchase the final copy from them.  If it's just going to be an embedded, low signal, that shouldn't be a problem.  Unfortunately, I'm probably going to look like a jerk to the person at TVPMM who reads my response now, having found this out.  (I assure you that looking like a jerk/being a jerk to people on the Internet is never my intention, no matter how my posts read.  I always try to be as respectful as possible.)

The only way to manually accumulate cues is by using SoundForge Audio Studio to record the audio and create our own mp3 files without lifting directly from the site.

I always said that I would pay to hear the classic TPIR cues in the clear, and I stand by that remark.  It's even tougher for me as a college student to find a place in my budget for this, but I'm still going to do it anyway.  However, it's frustrating knowing that I may not have had to pay to hear these cues if people were a little bit more responsible with the material that TVPMM has given us for free. 

I know it's none of my business what you do in the privacy of your own home with your own computer equipment, but I'd recommend not lifting files in any way.  IP's will be tracked, meaning people can (and probably will) be banned, regardless of payment status.  I wouldn't want you or anyone else to get the banhammer, so respect the privilege and enjoy streaming the cues from the website.  :-)

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
@Tyler:  well said, but respectfully, I'd read this post before trying to talk sense into Frangioso.
Bazinga!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
@Tyler:  well said, but respectfully, I'd read this post before trying to talk sense into Frangioso.

That post is stupid funny.

The watermarking should not impact audio quality, but it's nearly useless.  Aside from being easily destructible through various means, there's very little they can do about infringement... especially since it's not "their" music to begin with.   They could make removal demands... which may or may not be complied with, but as for taking action against a specific user, about the only thing they can do is shut down your access.   

I don't redistribute music or share MP3s, as I'm a musician and I believe in compensating the artists... but I also detest DRM.   It makes it hard for licensed use to take place.   
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »
@Tyler:  well said, but respectfully, I'd read this post before trying to talk sense into Frangioso.

Erm...wow. Don't know what's worse, only being concerned about the TPIR episodes, or buying that outlandish excuse. (Tell me that Aldrich fella doesn't still trade!)

ObMusic: I'll donate as soon as I can...I've wanted to hear The Last Word's theme in the clear for quite a while!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:28:25 PM by supersaver87 »

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
On the subject of watermarking, more from Terry on the subject:

"We appreciate your concern but rest assured that the music will be 100% clean and in the clear. There isn't signal degradation due to our watermarking technique. These are pulled directly from the Goodson masters (the actual tapes provided to Mark Goodson Productions). In a few cues you'll hear the conductor clap his hands to stop and even some of the tracking tape stopped at the end of a cue. To answer you question, the watermarking is 100% transparent and can not be found when simply viewing the waveform.
   We know that most people that visit the site are honest fans and are grateful to hear these amazing archives. It is the few that abused the system that has forced us to increase security measures."

There you have it, folks.  Methinks we have nothing to worry about in terms of sound quality.  "Amazing" is right--the next few weeks can't pass quickly enough!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:39:32 PM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline Sizeman

• Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »
Good to hear!
I'm not on twitter so I'm assuming someone will let us know when the membership system is up-and-running.

Offline Robair

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:35 AM »
Good to hear!
I'm not on twitter so I'm assuming someone will let us know when the membership system is up-and-running.
Even non-twits can read the tweets from here...

http://tvpmm.com/twitter_followers/tweets.html
We'll think of a signature. Don't worry.

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
Just signed up for my 6th month membership :). My log-in credentials should be coming shortly.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
@Steve:  I note that at the top of the page, it says:  "Under Construction - Please do not use..."  And that Terry himself says that it's not going to be ready for a few weeks yet.  Might want to request a refund from PayPal...
Bazinga!

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »
... There's very little they can do about infringement... especially since it's not "their" music to begin with. They could make removal demands... which may or may not be complied with, but as for taking action against a specific user, about the only thing they can do is shut down your access.

This raises some interesting questions. To begin, who owns the music? At one time, I think, it was a division or subsidiary of Goodson Productions. I suppose that entity has been passed along through ownership changes to current-day FremantleMedia. The next logical question is whether the music's owner has sanctioned this Internet "public performance." Let's presume that proper consent was acquired, which brings me to wonder about the $25 and $50 membership charges. Are these to pay for ASCAP or BMI licensing fees? (See below for more information about music licensing.)

http://www.soundexchange.com

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/faq

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »
I've wondered the same thing.  The proprietor of that site seems to imply that his payment of standard publishing fees gives him the full legal right to stream that music, but I don't see how that's the case.  If it were, then theoretically any TV producer would be able to use the TPiR theme for their show simply by paying performance fees to ASCAP or BMI.  Since I'm sure that's not true, I don't understand how the TVPMM situation is supposed to be different.

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »
From what I understood in previous discussion on this site, isn't the music used by the show a part of a blanket BMI/ASCAP license?  If that is the case, TVPMM's blanket site license would probably be more than enough to cover the music being uploaded so long as the site owners paid the license.  I believe TVPMM pays a $750 license each year to be able to continue to bring us all the music on their site.  It looks like the donations they have received in the past year have been sufficient enough to be halfway to a site license for next year.

Just as a little heads-up, there has been a little movement on the "Membership" page.  The links are under construction, but it looks like they're getting close to giving us the green light.  (After all, the last step in any major purchase is the contract. ;-))  I'm waiting for that "Vault open" tweet!

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline GR WHAMMY

• Just wants to enjoy the show!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
will those who can't afford the subscriptions be out of luck?
Just wants to enjoy the show!
HYO WINNINGS: $3675

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »
will those who can't afford the subscriptions be out of luck?

Short of someone pirating the music (assuming it's legal in the first place), yes.  You're on your own as to the ethics of music piracy (which by the way, is illegal, with very stiff penalties).
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.