Studio 41 - Play Along > Host Your Own!

How to Randomize Your Host Your Own

(1/3) > >>

sideshowPA:
I receive many scripts for shows, and I have observed many methods Hosts use to achieve randomness in their games.  There are a number of times during a show where you'd want to have a random result (Showcase Showdowns, drawing cards in card game, rolling dice in dice game, etc).  I want to suggest a site you can use for all of your randomness needs, and explain ways to use it.  The site is

www.random.org

Here is how you can use random.org in your shows:

SHOWCASE SHOWDOWN:  On the right-hand side of the site, use the true random number generator, and set it from Min = 1 to Max = 20.  Multiply any result by 5, and this is the player's wheel spin, so "5" = 25 cents, "20" = $1.00, etc..  To make the player have some "control", they can provide you a number from 1 to 20, and this will be the number of times you press the enter key to generate numbers.

CARD GAME:  Scroll down a bit, and you will see the playing card shuffler.  While you are able to draw cards one at a time, you can also have it deal out all 52 cards, and just use the go down the list as the player selects cards.  Taking a screen capture after the game is over to verify the cards is a nice touch.

DICE GAME: The dice roller option works nicely here.  Have the sit generate 4 random dice.  The player can select a number from 1 to 20, and this is the number of times you press enter.

I hope these tips, and the site, are helpful.  I'll leave this thread open for questions or comments.

Bob

FrenchFan:
For the Showcase Showdown, I use a slightly different method:
I use the random.org widget to generate a number, this number corresponds to 100. Spin's result is determined by the place of spaces.
Example: Contestant chose 5. If I obtained 16, 11 spaces below 100 is 95. In his show, William just made a list.

I played Card Game on former (darn Fremantle!!) French forum, I shuffled all the deck and copied 1-52 result. Then, I invited the contestant to choose their number to draw the card.

Punchboard: Use the list randomizer to shuffle all your values 1-50. Also valid for Spelling Bee (1-30).

Plinko: Use the list randomizer to shuffle the spaces and determine the result.

Three Strikes: Use the list randomizer to shuffle the bag. If there are 4 numbers and 2 strikes, shuffle them and then make him pick a number 1-6.

Teddy:
You can also use the List Randomizer for these games:

Bonus Game: Three "No"s and one "Bonus".

Bullseye: Four "Sorry"s and one "Hidden Bullseye", if you need it.

Hole in One: For the putting portion of the game, at least one "Make" and one "Miss"; the "Make" and "Miss" numbers must be equal.

Master Key: One "Master Key", one "Dud Key", and assign the other three keys a specific prize (a "Car" and two others). The contestant picks a number from 1-5, assuming he has earned at least one key.

Pass the Buck: Two "Lose Everything"s, one "Car", one "$5,000", one "$3,000" and one "$1,000". As in the real game, the contestant picks a number from 1-6.

Pocket ¢hange: Shuffle all values 1-20. The contestant picks a number from 1-20.

Shell Game: Three "Empty"s and one "Ball". For every chip earned, the contestant picks a number from 1-4.

The Die Roller is a great option for Let em Roll. Start out with 5 dice, assign $500 to the one spot, $1,000 to the two spot, $1,500 to the three spot, and cars to the four, five and six spots. Assuming the contestant has at least two rolls, eliminate all cars in subsequent rolls; for example, if two cars are rolled, use three dice for the next roll.

everyonelovesshellgame:

--- Quote ---Hole in One: For the putting portion of the game, at least one "Make" and one "Miss"; the "Make" and "Miss" numbers must be equal.
--- End quote ---

I think a better way would be to give the contestant some sort of an advantage for pricing grocery items correctly. i.e. if they're at the second to the last line, put more "makes" in there than "misses".

Mallory16:

--- Quote from: Teddy ---You can also use the List Randomizer for these games:

Bonus Game: Three "No"s and one "Bonus".

Bullseye: Four "Sorry"s and one "Hidden Bullseye", if you need it.

Master Key: One "Master Key", one "Dud Key", and assign the other three keys a specific prize (a "Car" and two others). The contestant picks a number from 1-5, assuming he has earned at least one key.

Pass the Buck: Two "Lose Everything"s, one "Car", one "$5,000", one "$3,000" and one "$1,000". As in the real game, the contestant picks a number from 1-6.

Pocket ¢hange: Shuffle all values 1-20. The contestant picks a number from 1-20.

Shell Game: Three "Empty"s and one "Ball". For every chip earned, the contestant picks a number from 1-4.
--- End quote ---

You can make those random, though I never did, as it's not really necessary.  Roger deliberately placed most of those when he was running the show (like in Pass the Buck, the car and $5000 were intentionally #1 and #6 often).  Bonus Game was often deliberately set up to have the bonus by the toughest (or easiest) prize.  Heck, in Shell Game, Bob and Drew themselves have direct control over where the ball winds up!

Anyway, for some of the more complicated games:

Three Strikes is very dynamic, and pretty much impossible to plan ahead, because you'd have to plan for dozens of possible outcomes with remaining chips in the bag at various points during the game.  I simply use a deck of cards:  5 (or 6) black card numbers, and 3 (or 1) red face card, and shuffle them.  The contestant picks a number from 1 to 8 (or 6, or 9, or whatever), and I count down and take that card from the deck.  If it was black number, it counted as the number (ten was the zero).  If it was a red face card, it was a strike.  Not really required, but I only ever reshuffled the deck when putting something back in, like Bob did.

For Hole in One, I got random values for the numbers 1 through 50.  5 numbers would win from the farthest line.  10 from the second farthest line.  15 would win from the next line.  20 numbers for the fourth line.  30 would win from the fifth line.  And 48 would win from the closest line.  The remaining two numbers would always lose, except for my inspiration putt, where those were the only two winners for me if I were to randomly reselect one of those two numbers right before putting (I lost).  I'm bad at miniature golf :P.

I originally got random values from 1 to 20 for the big wheel, but later on I dropped that and started using a formula that basically determined the "strength" of the spin, which I found to be a better system.  It was possible for someone not to get the wheel all the way around with the formula, though it never happened, and would've been rare, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version