Studio 41 - Play Along > Host Your Own!

How to Randomize Your Host Your Own

<< < (2/3) > >>

Teddy:

--- Quote from: everyonelovesshellgame on January 18, 2011, 02:07:42 PM ---I think a better way would be to give the contestant some sort of an advantage for pricing grocery items correctly. i.e. if they're at the second to the last line, put more "makes" in there than "misses".

--- End quote ---

I like that idea! As I have yet to play it in a HYO, I'm doing some experimenting with it. Here's a rough draft of what I'm planning to use:

Inspiration putt: 3 make, 3 miss (just to be fair!)

First line: 1 make, 5 miss
Second line: 2 make, 4 miss
Third line: 3 make, 3 miss
Fourth line: 3 make, 3 miss
Fifth line: 4 make, 2 miss
Sixth line: 5 make, 1 miss

Probably flawed, but this is the best I could come up with. If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

everyonelovesshellgame:

--- Quote from: Teddy on January 18, 2011, 04:10:43 PM ---I like that idea! As I have yet to play it in a HYO, I'm doing some experimenting with it. Here's a rough draft of what I'm planning to use:

Inspiration putt: 3 make, 3 miss (just to be fair!)

First line: 1 make, 5 miss
Second line: 2 make, 4 miss
Third line: 3 make, 3 miss
Fourth line: 3 make, 3 miss
Fifth line: 4 make, 2 miss
Sixth line: 5 make, 1 miss

Probably flawed, but this is the best I could come up with. If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

--- End quote ---

That's as good of a formula as any.  Nice and simple.  :-D

sjd93:
I agree with Frank about games like Bullseye and Pass the Buck. Part of the fun of doing an HYO is playing the part of Roger: making things hard, making things easy, adjusting setups, etc., etc. Determining key placement in games like Master Key is definitely part of the appeal of doing your show, and I wouldn't randomize anything that doesn't need to be randomized.

CJBojangles:
For all my games, I make a two-column list in Microsoft Excel. In Column B, I put all of the possible results (.05 through 1.00 for the SCSD, each individual money slip in Punch-a-Bunch, etc.)

Then I generate a random sequence from Random.org and paste it into Column A, and sort both columns by Column A. That way each number corresponds to a random value.

PriceFanArmadillo:
I know it's been a long time since I've run an HYO, but I just thought I'd share what I did...

...for the post part, I just avoided any random decisions whatsoever.

There's so many games on the show, I just flat-out avoided Hole in One, Dice Game, Plinko, or anything else that relied too much on luck to provide a skill-intensive message board playing experience.  When I played Punch-A-Bunch, I placed all ten 4/5-figure envelopes myself (and admittedly used random.org for the rest, but I highly doubt that mattered).  

The Big Wheel...well, I might as well spill my formula now, since I doubt I'm ever going to use it again.  I've never told anyone this before, since if you know it, you can get $1.00 every time, but as long as it was working for me (and no one was gaming it), I figured I'd keep going with it.  Since the time in my life where I host mock episodes of The Price is Right appears to have come and gone, no point in hoarding state secrets anymore.  Here's what I did...

I took the current position of the wheel, advanced it a number of spaces equal to the number chosen by the contestant, and then advanced it a number of spaces equal to the number of characters in the contestant's username.  

For example, if I was spinning my own wheel, and I was the first spinner, I would want to pick 3, since the wheel would then advance three spaces from $1.00, followed by another 17 spaces ('PriceFanArmadillo' is seventeen characters long), and the wheel would end up right back where it started.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version