Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2011  (Read 35592 times)

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2011
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
That's not what he meant...he was pointing out that your assumption was not always correct.

November 7th, 2008...Lucky 7/Balance Game/Step Up/Ten Chances/Magic #/Double Prices...that's about as good as we can get these days.

It will be a while before miracle if we get anything like that again.  :biggrin:

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
10 chances was played terrible today along with bonkers Balance and CoG were played well today. Tough loss in cover up.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
Alexander played 10C OK until he basically gave up after repeating a guess. People seem to be continually forgetting the one remaining reasonable guess on the 2nd prize, but what has happened to this game is also Mike's fault for insistingly using a dud 5 every damn single time.

Indeed I wonder how Alexander would have done if the "5" wasn't an option for the three-digit-priced prize.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
Wow, really not much to see here, except for the once-every-8-weeks (which is entirely too rare) showing of 10 Chances. Still, as nice as it was to see 10 Chances, the lineup to support it was poor (there really isn't an excuse to have no fee games at all), some of the gameplay was poor (Bonkers, 10 Chances), the one-bids were cheap with two overbids, the showcases weren't all that exciting - this was just one of those uninspiring episodes that happens sometimes. Let's hope for better tomorrow.

Timings:
One Right Price (3.5) - 2:50
Bonkers (4.5) - 3:51
10 Chances (6) - 5:43
Balance Game (4)- 4:12
Coming Or Going (3.5)- 3:41
Cover Up (5) - 4:16
Total (26.5): 25:33

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
I was just wondering, what is a "fee game?"

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
I was just wondering, what is a "fee game?"

A game that uses either grocery products or small prizes.  It used to be common for these items to be provided to the show and the show was paid a fee for featuring these products.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
I was chuckling during bonkers how stupid she looked after Drew specifically told her to not look at the crowd. His commentary during the game was pretty good also

Online TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
I missed the 3rd pricing game and was worried that I missed something good, knowing it was the first-half car game.  Turns out I didn't miss much.  How excruciating.  Never even got to the car!

Drew begged the contestant to not look at the audience in Bonkers, and what does she do?  Grrrr...time to install a trap door in the stage of the Bob Barker Studio and put some of these contestants out of their misery.

And Kitch, what took you so long to post the recap?  :P  (Jab at a certain poster who is on vacation who was getting antsy earlier today.)

A twisted part of me wants to see if someone would fall bass-ackwards into a win in 10C if they gave duplicate digits (like 7-0-6-0 for a $670 prize); giving two zeros would just scream at the contestant that there must be at least ONE zero in the price.  But I have a feeling we'd still get guesses of $607 and $706 first.   :-?

Offline jandallo

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
Honestly, how do you not know how to play 10 Chances? And seriously, you can't look at the audience for help when you have only 30 seconds to get the price right. Heck, you might just win if you randomly place the paddles anywhere.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Honestly, how do you not know how to play 10 Chances? And seriously, you can't look at the audience for help when you have only 30 seconds to get the price right. Heck, you might just win if you randomly place the paddles anywhere.

There's no "time limit" on 10 Chances anymore. In fact, with the exception of Clock Game, Race Game, Switcheroo, and Bonkers, there is no time limit on anything. Now a days they can just edit everything.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
There's no "time limit" on 10 Chances anymore. In fact, with the exception of Clock Game, Race Game, Switcheroo, and Bonkers, there is no time limit on anything. Now a days they can just edit everything.

I think he was referring to Bonkers...

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if Mike Richards is targetting the most clueless contestants he can discern for the games that require a savvy mind to play well.

Its a reason why the show is going down the toliet

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
I think he was referring to Bonkers...

Yea, just realized that. Was going to edit my post, but time ran out.  :lol:

A game that uses either grocery products or small prizes.  It used to be common for these items to be provided to the show and the show was paid a fee for featuring these products.

Wanted to add to this:
Everything cu said is correct, though I wanted to point out that that is not always the case for some games (e.g. 10 Chances, Golden Road, Make Your Move, Line em Up, sometimes Temptation).
While these games use SPs/GPs, they are not considered fee games because (and this is how I like to think of it) the 3/4-digit prizes that have a purpose in those games "cancel" them out as fee games.

However, Master Key and Rat Race are fee games, because the 3/4-digit prize do not serve in the pricing portion; only the SPs do.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Everything cu said is correct, though I wanted to point out that that is not always the case for some games (e.g. 10 Chances, Golden Road, Make Your Move, Line em Up, sometimes Temptation).
While these games use SPs/GPs, they are not considered fee games because (and this is how I like to think of it) the 3/4-digit prizes that have a purpose in those games "cancel" them out as fee games.

However, Master Key and Rat Race are fee games, because the 3/4-digit prize do not serve in the pricing portion; only the SPs do.

Is it possible that all of the games you listed that are not considered fee games are that way because they only involve one (1) fee prize?  This could possibly explain why Temptation was considered a fee game during the half-hour shows, as it was using multiple small-prize items as gifts.  By the late '70s, it was using the bigger 3- and 4-digit prizes almost exclusively.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
Is it possible that all of the games you listed that are not considered fee games are that way because they only involve one (1) fee prize?  This could possibly explain why Temptation was considered a fee game during the half-hour shows, as it was using multiple small-prize items as gifts.  By the late '70s, it was using the bigger 3- and 4-digit prizes almost exclusively.

It's most certainly a possibility.

I'm interested to see if Steve can provide an explanation as to why this is.