Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2011  (Read 21018 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2011
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »
One of my co-workers figured out why they made this the May 20 show -- May 21 is Armed Forces Day.

Kudos to Adam for not sticking Pay the Rent on another military show and instead opening with Plinko!

For what it's worth, I'd have won Money Game.

I'm really curious now what color the $25,000 graphic is.

Most Expen$ive was not supposed to be won.  Pick-a-Number, on the other hand, was uncharacteristically fair.

Yay, Latia, for stopping the Dob in Let 'em Roll and winning all three rolls!  Too bad she ended up winning the lowest amount possible.

The two cars in the second showcase was a cool surprise.  Now, if only they would do a three-car day...

Well ... I commend the effort of putting such a show together on short notice. Drew and the TPiR folk wanted to cash in on the euphoria of the news that one of the world's most hated, dispicable men had been killed, and so why not put something like this together?

This show has been planned for weeks and was taped exactly when it was supposed to be.  It was merely rescheduled for today sometime yesterday.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 07:16:46 AM »
This show has been planned for weeks and was taped exactly when it was supposed to be.  It was merely rescheduled for today sometime yesterday.

Yeah, I got the message earlier from other posters. That said, my point was that a "celebratory" episode (which is how I saw this show. particularly after Drew said at the top of the show that the show was being taped on Monday, the day after bin Laden was killed) should have been made more "special." Never mind the fact that it was rush-produced for airing May 3 to catch in on the "Osama is dead" fever and that there was an intended airdate later on.

If this show had aired on May 20, I would not have made as big of deal about the prize selection ... and possibly not the lack of troop segments either (because the production team likely would have had more time to obtain more clips and then insert them in post-production between now and the airdate).

Like I said, hopefully a prime time special more befitting of this occasion will air soon. I'm not holding my breath.

Brian

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »

Like I said, hopefully a prime time special more befitting of this occasion will air soon. I'm not holding my breath.

I just don't see it like that. Not only would there need to be primetime space on CBS's schedule first, but the death of Osama Bin Laden just doesn't seem to scream "HEY LETS DO A PRICE IS RIGHT PRIMETIME SPECIAL!!!"

And sure, Osama's death likely fueled the atmosphere at the taping of this episode since it has brought out a bit of patriotism from folks, but it's nothing more than a coincidence. It was planned before anyone there could have known anything about the Bin Laden situation and Drew only brought it up because of the nature of the episode and the pro-military crowd. I understand what you are saying but the ONLY thing that changed was the airdate.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
Simply put to summarize the above, you can't make a special show setup-wise and presentation-wise out of every single holiday/week in the year.

That's it! No more Osama Got Killed Special Episodes! Ever! :)

John

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
That's it! No more Osama Got Killed Special Episodes! Ever! :)
Even as an Armed Forces Day episode, as originally scheduled, this was a fail.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »

Brian

Am I the only one thinking what the hell The Price is Right has to do with the American Government/Military and why they should celebrate a death which is..by far not the end of the war?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Even as an Armed Forces Day episode, as originally scheduled, this was a fail.

I think something like this show could actually work on July 4 which they failed to do much at all for last year. But then it seems like they put more effort into Valentine's Day and EARTH DAY of all things than July 4th which I think is a real shame....

Would anyone really be shocked if tomorrow they did a "Cinco de mayo" special?

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Am I the only one thinking what the hell The Price is Right has to do with the American Government/Military and why they should celebrate a death which is..by far not the end of the war?

As Steve pointed out, this episode was intended to air May 20th, the day before Armed Forces Day, but because of Osama's death, they decided to air it early.

I think something like this show could actually work on July 4 which they failed to do much at all for last year. But then it seems like they put more effort into Valentine's Day and EARTH DAY of all things than July 4th which I think is a real shame....

Any themed show with Triple Play in it is less than fail.

But Cinco de Mayo...LOL. I can just picture it now: Drew: "Hey everyone welcome to the Price is Right SPECIAL Cinco de Mayo show...everyone in the audience is of Mexican heritage...yeah, how 'bout that? We got a mariachi band and everything!"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
As Steve pointed out, this episode was intended to air May 20th, the day before Armed Forces Day, but because of Osama's death, they decided to air it early.

I've known this for 3 days now....my point was in response to Briguy hoping for a primetime special because of this.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

Won't TPIR be in Summer reruns by July 4th though.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
According to air order, I think this was always supposed to be a salute episode. Its original air date would've been the Friday before Memorial Day. Obviously they expedited editing to air it immediately. Dunno who did it. It turned out alright regardless.

Memorial Day is the 30th, not the 23rd.  As Steve mentioned later, it would've been the Friday before Armed Forces Day.

Wow... they aired it today! That's certainly a tape-to-air record.

I believe we had a couple shows with a single day between taping and airing at the end of the season five or six years ago.  They had to cancel a few tapings over the course of the year, I think, and barely finished taping before the end of the season.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
I believe we had a couple shows with a single day between taping and airing at the end of the season five or six years ago.  They had to cancel a few tapings over the course of the year, I think, and barely finished taping before the end of the season.

Even back then, I think it was more like a three- or four-day turnaround.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ketsuban

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Safirian Empire
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
Dreamweaver doesn't have a crash recovery system.

Try Microsoft Expression Web.  It's never crashed on me and, if you're a student, you get it free.
HYO Winnings: $56,365

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I like the Military/Armed Forces specials.  They are American and patriotic and serve as a good reminder of our freedoms.  I wouldn't mind seeing them re-run this episode on Memorial Day (5/30/11) for those who missed it this week.....