Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/4/2011 (The RAIN Invasion)  (Read 18819 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 5/4/2011 (The RAIN Invasion)
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - 5/4/2011

Episode #5553 (The RAIN Invasion)
Aired: 5/4/2011; Tape Date 4/18/2011
Models:  Rachel Reynolds (A.B.S.), Amber Lancaster (Scala)
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

The show will feature musical lead-ins and lead-outs by The Beatles tribute band RAIN, featured in the Broadway show RAIN: A Tribute to The Beatles. It starts with a quick snip of "Can't Buy Me Love" before the first item, with the band in British Invasion gear.

First IUFB: Stereo system (harman/kardon) + set of RAIN  CDs (ARP: $2,547) (Amber)

DONALD ROSE CORBIN MAHRIA WINNER
$1100 $1300 $1050 $1 ROSE

Rain played under through the first pricing game prize reveal. They would only play lead-in and lead-out the rest of the show.

Rose is playing Side by Side for a trip to New York. (RT coach LA to NYC, 6n executive room Hotel Mela, VIP tickets/backstage tour to Rain) (Amber)

76 61  
ARP: $6,176
LOSS

Second IUFB: Ladies' mountain bike (ARP: $599) (Rachel)

Donald FABIANA Corbin Mahria WINNER
$536 $535 $520 $400 DONALD

Donald is playing Any Number for a Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4. (3.8-litre V6 engine, easy-folding top) (Rachel)

Numbers chosen: 2, 7, 4, 3, 9, 6, 1, 0

Nissan Cube 2 2 7 9  
20pc set of bath products (Clean) (Amber)   1 4
T.D.P.B. LOSS 6 .0 3

Car ARP: $22,795
Bath products ARP: $814

Lead-out and lead-in: "All My Loving"

Third IUFB: Espresso machine (Jura Ena 5; ARP: $1,199) (Amber)

ELI Fabiana Corbin Mahria WINNER
$550 $316 $650 $670 MAHRIA

Mahria, who's wearing her Sgt. Pepper-era jacket, is playing Race Game.

5pc dining set (Rachel) Dumbbell set (Ivanko) (Rachel) Can-Am DS90 ORV (Amber) Refrigerator (stainless steel, 24.6 cu.ft.) (Amber) NUMBER RIGHT TIME LEFT
$2499 $900 $2000 $3519 2 :28
$2000 $900 $2499 $3519 4
*WIN*
:15
$2000 $900 $2499 $3519 ARPs
*$8,918*

Mahria was very methodical in her playing. You don't always have to play fast if you can play smart.

Lead-out and lead-in: "A Hard Day's Night"

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Donald $605.03 50 50 *$1,000!*
Rose $2,547 70 60 OVER
Mahria $10,117 1.00 N/A *$1,000!*

Bonus/Tiebreaker...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Donald $1,605.03 85  
Mahria $11,117 35 *SHOWCASE*

Lead-out: resuming "A Hard Day's Night"

Lead-in: "Day Tripper"

Fourth IUFB: Wall-mounted fireplace (Decoflame USA; ARP: $2,242) (Rachel)

Eli Fabiana Corbin AKILA WINNER
$825 $1300 $1301 $750 CORBIN

Corbin, who completes the blue-to-yellow First Four sweep, is playing One Wrong Price.

Day bed (Carolina Chair) (Rachel) $1535 $1535
50" 3D Plasma HDTV (Rachel and Amber) $3300 $3300
Wine bar credenza (Howard Miller Bar Devino) (Amber) $1060 $2004
*WIN*

Total ARP: *$6,839*

Lead-out: resuming "Day Tripper"

RAIN has changed to their Sgt. Pepper gear. Lead-in: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Fifth IUFB: 3pc luggage set (Antler Camden Town; ARP: $1,020) (Amber, George Gray and Rachel)

Eli Fabiana DREW Akila WINNER
$725 $920 $850 $900 FABIANA

Fabiana is playing Hi Lo for a Chevrolet Camaro LS coupe. (3.6-litre V6 engine, 6mo OnStar; ARP: $23,530) (Amber)

HI Francesco Rinaldi pasta sauce $1.99  
Orbit White gum Go-Pak $3.69  
Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese $2.99  
LO DecACake icing decorations $3.09 LOSS
Mini Oreo Go-Pak $1.29  
Sunkist orange soda (2-litre) $1.79  

Lead-out: resuming "Sgt. Pepper's"

Lead-in: "When I'm 64"

Sixth IUFB: Cotton candy cart (ARP: $1,418) (Rachel)

Eli DIANE Drew Akila WINNER
$1000 $999 $325 $650 ELI

Eli, retired from the U.S. Air Force, is playing Switch?

ITEM DISPLAY GUESS ARP RESULT
Gas grill (Amber) $2049 NO SWITCH $2049 $2049 *WIN*
Halo spa (Rachel) $3695 $3695 $3695

Total ARP: *$5,744*

Lead-out: resuming "When I'm 64"

RAIN is now in the Abbey Road gear. Lead-in: "Come Together" (uses normal music for CNAOS items)

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Fabiana $1,020 70 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Eli $7,162 25 5 30
Corbin $9,081 55 65 OVER

Lead-out: resuming "Come Together"

Showcase round lead-in: "Revolution"; lead-out and reveal lead-in: "Get Back"

SHOWCASE ROUND
These two just got by with a little help from their friends. Donald has the honor...

SC1 - FABIANA EXPLORE THE BEATLES LONDON/CAR
BID: $24,600 Wii (The Beatles Rock Band w/accessories) (Amber)
London (RT coach LA to London, 6n hotel, private car tour of Abbey Road) (Amber)
Mini Cooper (1.6-litre engine, Union Jack mirror caps)
ARP: $31,796
DIFF: $7,196
*WIN* $32,816
SC2 - DONALD WANNA PLAY LIKE THE BEATLES? PORSCHE
BID: $52,000 Set of three Beatles replica guitars (Rachel)
Apple Mac Pro computer (8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) + $1,000 iTunes gift card(Rachel)
Porsche Boxster convertible (2.9-litre, 7spd automatic transmission) (Amber)
ARP: $66,794
DIFF: $14,794
LOSS $1,605.03

Everyone in the audience gets a copy of the RAIN official Broadway recording. Chance to win one on the website.

Show lead-out: Surprisingly enough, the actual TPiR theme

Show Results: 3 out of 6
Total Winnings: $64,328.03

THIS RECAP IS THE PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:45:16 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/4/2011 (The RAIN Invasion)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
I don't know why they insist on making Hi Lo difficult when it's played for a car
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
Hi Lo was just terrible, especially being played for a car we saw yesterday  :-(

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
Let's back off of the "variety show" aspect of today's show for a second.

Today's setups were, overall, the easiest they have been in awhile. OWP and Switch, often some of Mike's favorite traps, were easy as pie today, and Racey wasn't too bad either (very strong playing to ace the fridge early and recognize -99 ATV eventually). Sidey I also think they may have wanted the win, but if they did they should have made it 6196 or something...still, not a trap. The only real hard game today was H/L, with that random gum actually being the highest high. When all the GPs get jumbled together like that it gets tough fast and mistakes like the pasta sauce can happen, never mind the fact that weird icing pack was actually a high.

But nothing of the above compares to A#, which had to be the easiest car setup in Season 39. -95 on a non-L7, non-fee car game, my god! As soon as I saw that Jeep Wrangler, I was expecting some paint along with the usual folding top, but nope...it was to my great delight then that I concluded that the show had actually determined to let a car be wide open on one of these "special" shows to create a good moment - FINALLY the right move! ...

Now, let's consider what Donald did today as a contestant:
-The only difficult part of A# was not overpricing the Jeep like people have in More or Less twice this year, which seems to be a major problem for people. Not only did Donald KNOW this was 22xxx, he then got 227xx. Everything was all set up for Donald at this point.
-He bid $52000 on a luxury car showcase, which is the most appropriate bid we've had on such a showcase in awhile. If it wasn't for those bloody stupid guitars and MacPro, he would have won, but alas, Mike sexed the showcase up for this exact reason, as we've broken down countless times now. Still, Donald knew what was going on.

...And this is exactly what did Donald in, thinking that the price could not possibly be as nice as -95. I'm expecting a lot of negativity toward Donald today, but I have to say the way A#, Cover, Money and L7 are all set up nowadays, the setup today was a rarity and, if you're not paying attention to the options (which is very hard to do on stage), ultimately Donald got reversed, horrible bad luck. There's no fault here, other than Mike getting incredibly lucky he has established a culture of weird prices and finding a rare contestant who knew this culture when it was reversed today. The loss speaks to the fact that there has been a culture change in the setups.

As for the rest of the show...you know, if door #3 is going to be occupied the whole show, I might not schedule a GPT game like Hi-Lo, *especially* for a car, forcing weird angling of the game (and different starting position). Now maybe Mike sprung this upon them after the lineup was made, but I kinda doubt that since it was very short again to allow the five or whatever minutes there was of singing, so that really just shouldn't have happened. Use Grocery Game if you really want a non-car GP game loss.

And as for Rain...boy, this "variety" show today sure left me... unfulfilled in watching a game show today. First time I've ever really experienced that - Mike's little attempts on a "varitey" show this season with the announcer's increasing role, models talking a bit, removing a model for announcer hasn't ruined too much for me personally, but God, I'm willing to bet no one here could have possibly enjoyed this if they weren't a Beatles diehard (and the two fanbases do NOT have a significant union!). Easy setups will never cancel out something as aggregious as this ... God do I hope it's the last time I have to feel that.

EDIT: Uh, guys... a non-car game for a car is usually a chance to force a loss (or at least make it tougher) as well as get an unique lineup in. Nothing wrong with it, the DOB did it all the time. An exception would be Pushover, and OWP on a S36 primetime show. But even ME on the S35 opener was supposed to be lost.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:06:56 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
I'll leave it to others to debate having live bands on the show, but I thought Rain wasn't bad. They certainly looked the part, especially the SPLHCB costumes.

Hi-Lo was evil.

Great Race Game win by Mahria.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
** sigh  **

why was this necessary?  

Did anyone notice the odd staging of Hi-Lo, given that the car was behind door 2?  {{self-edit: Wayoshi mentioned this in nice detail just before me, above}}

"When I'm 64"?  Who chose that selection to get a crowd on its feet?  And does this band look or sound anything like the Beatles?  I love the Beatles, but this was just weird.

I don't think I remember one contestant today, since they basically become secondary to the house band today.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:09:50 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
I don't think I remember one contestant today, since they basically become secondary to the house band today.
There's a good quintessential statement Mike should look long & hard at with respect to his ideal variety shows.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
But even ME on the S35 opener was supposed to be lost.

Most Expensive on the S35 opener was really easy. Jeeps are fancier than a PT Cruiser and a Malibu.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:17:02 PM by Gameshowboy92 »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
ME on the S35 opener was really easy. Jeeps are fancier than a PT Cruiser and a Malibu.
I thought the Malibu was the trap, but anyways I'm pretty sure the DOB wanted it lost.

Anyways, in general and not on a budget-busting show like a season opener or MDS, the difficulty goes up in that situation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:19:51 PM by Wayoshi »

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
First off, I don't care for impersonation bands.

However, Side by Side showing up first was a nice surprise. Plus, it has become the first game (other than Double Prices) to be played in front of Door #3.

I'ts nice that even though "Rain" took up hordes of time, they could still play Race Game.

I don't know why they insist on making Hi Lo difficult when it's played for a car

Actually, for a car, this is an easier Hi Lo setup. Cake decorations can be deceptive, but by no means cheap either.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
Most Expensive on the S35 opener was really easy. Jeeps are fancier than a PT Cruiser and a Malibu.

That doesn't mean it wasn't supposed to be lost.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
All I have to say is that I thought nothing could be more annoying than Lonestar was in s38...

I was wrong.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
Quote from: leafsfan17
When Hi-Lo is being played for a car, it should be difficult.

I don't know why they insisted on playing Hi-Lo for a car...

On Any Number, Donald was lucky and unlucky on his last pick.  His remaining digits were 0, 5, and 8.  It was safe to say that the bath products probably started with 8, but they could have started with 5.  Picking 0 essentially gave him a 50/50 shot at winning the car, because it obviously wasn't going to be the first number of the bath products. 

I rather enjoyed seeing Rain on today's show.  I don't know why.  I usually hate variety shows, but this one seemed to work for me on some level.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »
And as for Rain...boy, this "variety" show today sure left me... unfulfilled in watching a game show today. First time I've ever really experienced that - Mike's little attempts on a "varitey" show this season with the announcer's increasing role, models talking a bit, removing a model for announcer hasn't ruined too much for me personally, but God, I'm willing to bet no one here could have possibly enjoyed this if they weren't a Beatles diehard (and the two fanbases do NOT have a significant union!). Easy setups will never cancel out something as aggregious as this ... God do I hope it's the last time I have to feel that.

I'm not as nostalgic as I used to be, but I particularly missed the "old" Price is Right today. Professional announcer who didn't make attempts at humor or side comments or appear as a prize model, dignified host, audience members & contestants who behaved with at least some decorum (I'm painting with a broad brush here I know), and no guest stars/house band/whatever.

Oh well. We'll see what tomorrow brings.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:29:27 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
This was a show that I personally didn't have high hopes for (Lonestar?  At least I know the Beatles.), but really was a good program.  3/6 really helps with that, along with a fairly aggressive timed lineup.

Nice to see Side By Side, not only in appearance, it being first, AND being played at door 3.  Statpersons: does this make it one of only four games to be played at 3? (More or Less/Double Prices/Triple Play).

Any Number really was the easiest "name a price" car game is forever and a half.

I figured when they cut to door 2 for the 2nd car game that it was Card Game, then they announced the price, I couldn't figure out what game it was, then Hi-Lo.   Very nice!
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP