Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/12/2011  (Read 19023 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/12/2011
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
I don't watch every show, and I don't always pay attention to who the models are for a particular show when I do read the recap.

That said, when was the last time Rachel Reynolds was not on a TPiR? She's easily (at least IMO, if only based on the number of shows she's on) the most popular model.

I'd bet she wasn't scheduled for today's particular episode, but I was getting to think that either something bad happening to her or leaving the show unannounced would be the only way Rachel would not be on a TPiR show. You would have bet money that she would be on every TPiR at least as of late.

Two things irked me about today (and no, it wasn't "no Rachel"):

* Stack the Deck. Apparently, whoever -- Steve or somebody -- said that this game is stacked against the contestant is right. Those prizes were hard, and to guess the price without any help is a meaningless exercise. I think it'd be a good idea to require at least one correct guess for the game to proceed to the car price-guessing portion of the game.

* Amanda No. 1's guess on her showcase. How many friggin' times do I need to say this: Once a contestant gives a bid, that's the bid that should be acepted. No do-overs. I realize some contestants are nervous (as Amanda apparently was), and it always is a good idea for the host to ask for a clarification if he thinks the contestant is making an illogical bid or the numbers' enunciation (e.g., $15,000 and $50,000) can be confused by the judges. But to allow so many re-dos (as Amanda was allowed) is unfair to other contestants who don't get this same privilige, or didn't in years past. DO AWAY WITH THE DO-OVERS!

Brian

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
Anyone else notice the reveal button on the Flip Flop game prop was repositioned to a less-conspicuous place? Wonder if that was to eliminate the threat of contestants pushing it before it's time--even though that hasn't happened in years.
*My apologies if this has already been reported/discussed here.

I've always thought it should be located off-stage, or where only Drew can access it. (Better yet, redesign the board to a screen, where the number pairs just inverse themselves upon the contestant's call). That way, no more "Flip Flop" cheater or the prospect of Drew hastily having to explain things (a la Bob Barker).

Brian

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
Ugh, when will people realize that looking to the audience in Bonkers is NEVER a good idea?
-Well Bonkers was something. In his defense, his problem wasn't that he looked back. It was that he was slow.
-Lucky 7 is the perfect place to employ the Camaro trap. People will seem to always think this car and others cost more than they do.
-Swap Meet was a nice surprise. Too bad she overvalued the watch.
-Side By Side was nice and easy. Glad she knew what to do and did it.
-Stack the Deck was just unjustifiably EVIL. When someone is going to overprice the car like that anyway, MAKE THE GPs EASIER! Oh well.
-Flip Flop wasn't horribly difficult. Oh well.

The showcases were interesting. I didn't like the trip overkill. I'm glad Amanda got herself together and made a great bid. The nerves can get ya.

I guess in IUFB 6 Drew said something that was edited out....perhaps he called the wrong name or price and they redid the audio.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
I've always thought it should be located off-stage, or where only Drew can access it. (Better yet, redesign the board to a screen, where the number pairs just inverse themselves upon the contestant's call). That way, no more "Flip Flop" cheater or the prospect of Drew hastily having to explain things (a la Bob Barker).

Brian

Flip Flop isn't the only game with the propensity for a cheater/clueless contestant to reveal the price: I'm surprised no one has ever set one of the blocks atop a reveal button in Eazy As 1-2-3 or pushed the buttons on Cover-Up or Bonkers; they're all big, bright & accessible by the contestant. Nothing against modern technology, but having an LCD/plasma screen just makes it too much like a video game plus there's a bit of a genuinity issue in that people could speculate that TPTB can instantly & invisibly change the price to control wins/losses.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »
The Bonkers playing was pretty bad, especially considering that Drew explicitly advised him not to look to the audience. So, naturally, he does it anyway. Dunce cap awarded.

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that Drew pretty much said he doesn't really expect the contestants to win the $500 bonus during the one-bids?

I've been on a bit of a break from the show over the past few weeks, but, is this the first time we've seen Flip Flop with the new button location?

There was definitely some weird editing going on at the conclusion of one-bid #6...the contestant's display was flashing before Drew even read the price.

Trip overkill returns in the showcases.

Remember back in the Barker-era when OCCASIONALLY there was a little bonus prize added into a showcase that was not intended to be bid on. Nowadays, it seems like these "priceless prizes" are cropping up every few shows.

You know, I probably wouldn't mind all the guest cameos so much if they had walk-ons by people who are ACTUAL celebrities. Like those dancers today, who the hell were they and why should I care? I can think of only five times since Drew took over the show that I actually cared about any of the guest stars (Wayne Newton in season 36, Bob Barker in season 37, and Craig Ferguson, Wayne Brady, and Patrick Duffy in season 38). That's five people out of God knows how many stupid little walk-ons they've had in almost four years.

What makes them worse is that they're all probably just trotted out there to make Drew happy. I'd bet credits to navy beans more than 70% of the audience (both at home and in studio) have no idea who most of these people who do the walk-on cameos are. If they insist on continuing this practice, at least bring out some people who are name-worthy (ones that sound mildly interested in being on the show wouldn't hurt either, rather than ones who drone out their lines in a monotone.)

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »

Brian

I was surprised they moved the button since Drew likes to let the contestant press it themselves.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
You know, I probably wouldn't mind all the guest cameos so much if they had walk-ons by people who are ACTUAL celebrities. Like those dancers today, who the hell were they and why should I care? I can think of only five times since Drew took over the show that I actually cared about any of the guest stars (Wayne Newton in season 36, Bob Barker in season 37, and Craig Ferguson, Wayne Brady, and Patrick Duffy in season 38). That's five people out of God knows how many stupid little walk-ons they've had in almost four years.

See, I'm honestly starting to think that the term celebrity is somewhat subjective...people who arent familiar with late night or daytime may not know who some of those people are...but throw a reality show person up there some people may know who it is right away. Same with a sports person.

However, I think its kinda cool that the second showcase was presented the way it was...it was a good theme, active, lit-appropiately, and the shot of everyone dancing was, imho, kinda cool.

My biggest thing? I wish they wouldnt do these so much...for every decent showcase like that we get, we get at least 3 that are just...bleh.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »
I was surprised they moved the button since Drew likes to let the contestant press it themselves.
He still does. He let the mother-daughter on Mother's Day hit the button in it's new position, if I recall correctly.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »
Nothing against modern technology, but having an LCD/plasma screen just makes it too much like a video game plus there's a bit of a genuinity issue in that people could speculate that TPTB can instantly & invisibly change the price to control wins/losses.

Maybe on the count that an LCD/plasma/electronic screen could some complete airhead confuse it for a video game display, but why would anyone even speculate that the producers could change the "answer" to control wins/losses (or even more sinister, if the producers "didn't like a contestant")? Standards and Practices would slap them with a fine so fast it would make Drew's head spin.

I just made the point that the buttons and other devices used to reveal the answer should be controlled offstage or where the host/models are the only ones who control the reveal. That way, there's no "Flip Flop cheater." (And yes, six years later, I still say he should have been disqualified and hereded out of the studio unceremoniously!)

Brian

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »

Wayne Newton walked out during Double prices and IIRC didnt' appear in the SHowcase, and I don't remember hearing about his cameo beforehand. His was more akin to the 70s-80s CUllen/Convy/CN Reilly/Carol Burnett/Combs/Eubanks cameos.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
A Wipeout in stack the deck and Side by side was the only win today.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Today show was horrible Drew could do a better job as host and explain the games better to the contestests.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
I don't watch every show, and I don't always pay attention to who the models are for a particular show when I do read the recap.

That said, when was the last time Rachel Reynolds was not on a TPiR? She's easily (at least IMO, if only based on the number of shows she's on) the most popular model.

I'd bet she wasn't scheduled for today's particular episode, but I was getting to think that either something bad happening to her or leaving the show unannounced would be the only way Rachel would not be on a TPiR show. You would have bet money that she would be on every TPiR at least as of late.

I think today was the only show this season that Rachel was not on.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
For someone who was really excited and energetic when he got called down, Bobby was a terrible Bonkers player. I expected better.

Swap Meet absolutely was not meant to be won.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Amanda (the one who played Lucky Seven)
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
Pricessless Backstage Rule #3-DREW:  Stack the Deck is the new Temptation.

That game was nearly impossible.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP