Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/24/2011  (Read 16404 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 5/24/2011
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - //

Episode #5582K
Aired: 5/24/2011; Tape Date 5/3/2011
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Gwendolyn Osborne, Rachel Reynolds (Tony Bowls)
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Manuela
First Four Contestant Seating: Right to Left

First IUFB: Set of 3 coats (Burberry; ARP: $2,185) (Gwendolyn, Manual and Rachel)

ALI SARA JASON SONYA WINNER
$895 $900 $1050 $1600 SONYA

Sonya is playing Dice Game for a Ram 1500 ST 4x2 Regular Cab. (3.7-litre V6 engine, 4spd automatic transmission) (Gwendolyn)

GUESS 2   5    
DICE ROLL 6* 3 5 4
GUESS 3   3 1

ARP: $23,531 LOSS

Second IUFB: 17pc cookware set (stainless steel; ARP: $670) (Manuela)

Ali Sara Jason KELSEY WINNER
$1200 $700 $351 $500 KELSEY

Kelsey, a member of Americorps, is playing Most Expen$ive.

Wine cooler (Danby Silhouette; 166-bottle capacity) (Manuela) $1,599  
Apple iMac (8GB RAM, 2TB HDD) + Slingbox iDesk video distributor (Rachel) $2,449  
Washer and dryer (champagne) (Gwendolyn) $3,068 *WIN*

Total ARP: *$7,116*

Third IUFB: 4pc luggage set (Rimowa Salsa Deluxe; ARP: $2,340) (Gwendolyn)

Ali Sara Jason JANE WINNER
$1100 $1800 $702 $700 SARA

Sara, a recent Florida graduate, is playing Check-Out for a Travel & Leisure trip to Orlando. (RT coach for four LA to Orlando, 5n deluxe suite Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek; ARP: $11,246) (Manuela and Rachel)

ITEM GUESS ARP
Francesco Rinaldi ToBe pasta sauce $3.50 $1.99
Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows $2.00 $2.09
Kleenex hand towels $5.00 $2.99
Bush's black beans $2.50 $1.79

Breyer's strawberry ice cream

$4.00

$4.99
TOTAL $17.00 $13.89
LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Sonya $2,185 75 STAY 75
Sara $2,340 75 STAY 75
Kelsey $7,786 1.00 N/A *$1,000!*

Bonus/Tiebreaker...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Kelsey $8,786 65 *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Outdoor patio heater (Totum; ARP: $1,091) (Rachel)

Ali MICHAEL Jason Jane WINNER
$1201 $1100 $850 $1200 JASON

Jason, an electronics technician (PO1) in the U.S. Navy (USS Randy Meyer), is playing Freeze Frame for an outdoor kitchen island. (Summerset) (Gwendolyn)

50 27  
14 $9,359 93
48 LOSS 59
  36 72  

Fifth IUFB: Sleigh bed (Loving Care mattress; ARP: $1,109) (Manuela)

Ali Michael ROCIO Jane WINNER
$1250 $751 $750 $2000 MICHAEL

Michael, who is about to graduate from University of La Verne Law School, is playing Master Key!

ITEM App magnets Mini-cooler
DISPLAY 316 359
GUESS 16 59
ARP $16 $59
KEY 2 4

Drew hands Michael key #2 first.

Set of small kitchen appliances (Breville) (Manuela) 2
50" Plasma HDTV (Panasonic) (Gwendolyn)  
Ford Focus S sedan (2.0-litre engine, message center) (Rachel) LOSS

#4 was the dud.

Ali tried her best and just stayed on the row. Fortunately she has the final bid guess, so she at least has an improved chance to avoid the mugshot machine.

Sixth IUFB: Cordless garden tools (Ryobi One+; ARP: $835) (Gwendolyn)

Ali LINDSAY Rocio Jane WINNER
$702
LOL!!!
$700 $1
DUH!!!
$701
DUH!!!
ALI

Ali escapes! She is playing Bonkers for a Beachcomber hot tub. (seats 5) (Rachel) The display is 5757.

Try 1: HLHL WRONG :26
Try 2: HHLH WRONG :13
Try 3: HHHL WRONG :03
Try 4: LHHL LOSS

ARP: $7,244 (HLLL)

Some wondered if she hit the button on purpose, but inspecting it closely, I don't think she intended to. She put her hand under the button, and probably actuated it accidentally. She probably didn't even see it. Still a terrible playing.

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Ali $835 25 90 OVER
Jason $1,091 30 15 *SHOWCASE*
Michael $1,184
+ apps
25 15 40

SHOWCASE ROUND
Kelsey has the honor...

SC1 - KELSEY HIGH-SPEED ADVENTURE TRIPS/MOTORCYCLE
BID: $31,000 Colorado (RT coach LA to Durango, 6n deluxe room Strater Hotel, train and zip-line tour) (Rachel)
Puerto Rico (RT coach LA to San Juan AirTran Airways, 6n Rincon Beach Resort, 2hr rainforest ATV adventure) (Rachel)
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic motorcycle (Gwendolyn)
ARP: $19,007
DIFF: OVER
LOSS $8,786
SC2 - JASON SOME GOOD LOOKS TRIP/SPORTBOAT
BID: $21,037 Home gym (Inspire Smith Cage System) (Rachel)
Ireland (RT coach LA to Galway rental car to County Mayo, 6n Ashford Castle, greens fees) (Gwendolyn)
Sea-Doo Speedster 150 15' sport boat (w/trailer) (Manuela)
ARP: $36,322
DIFF: $15,285
*WIN* $37,413

Show Results: 1 out of 6
Total Winnings: $52,743 + small appliances from Master Key

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

Quote from: Me, nearly a week ago. I know.
Recap delayed due to Casey Anthony trial. We'll find out tomorrow if the delays will continue beyond today.[/html]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:24:20 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/24/2011
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
I just zipped through the show off my DVR, and I just have to say that Dice Game was just a kludged mess.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
What a gigantic mess of a show. Wins continue to be blips on the radar and a bunch of goofs.

I can't believe they set up the Dice Game table backwards! That's inexcusable - I'm tempted to say it was a model, as they wheel out the table, but someone else might place the dice, so I dunno. There was also a weird edit after her first roll (6), unless Drew really did forget to ask if it was 6. Also weird is that we've had at least 3 playings where there's a lot of 3s and 4s, and they go against the odds once. Going with the odds all the time has ended up right in all those cases.

Check Out was due for a loss, so I guess that was OK. Are those hand towels like wipes or something though?, because that was a pretty evil low price on it.

Apparently Summerset is a sub-brand of International Outdoor Furnishings, so their outdoor kitchen islands are identical. I gotta say, if Mike is trying to suddenly use a different brand name to throw us off, that's really just dumb.

Key was agonizing, especially when Drew does his occasional semi-common goof up. They should have started with the dud key.

Bonkers...lord help us, contestants continue to insist that the nuts somehow know these digits, and I don't know why. She definitely had her left hand on the button as she tried to make a last-second change, so that was all accidental. She was actually making a bad change there anyways, game was over... one thing I'm noticing is people's first guesses are often just one off, but then they never get that close again. Again, the nuts aren't going to know the tens or ones digit of a particular hot tub, or any prize.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
Lineup:

Dice Game: L

Most Expensive: W

Check Out: L

Freeze Frame: L

Master Key: L

Bonkers: L

Bad Show Today

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
It's increasingly clear that most contestants today have no clue about how to use a $1 bid.

I don't mind models speaking, but not during reveals like Gwendolyn's on ME.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
Dicey - Shoulda went with the odds.
ME - Nice Win too bad it was the only win of the show.
Check Out - Tough Loss
Freeze Frame - I'm kinda starting to hate this game.
Master Key - Too bad the car wasn't won.
Bonkers - Evil.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:27 PM »
It's increasingly clear that most contestants today have no clue about how to use a $1 bid.

I don't mind models speaking; but especially not during reveals like Gwendolyn's on ME.

Fixed. For my opinion, at least. :lol:

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
I can't believe they set up the Dice Game table backwards! That's inexcusable - I'm tempted to say it was a model, as they wheel out the table, but someone else might place the dice, so I dunno.

Inexcusable indeed. Isn't the word "PLAYER" on the table where the player should stand? The dice should have been placed there. Shouldn't the models have noticed the mistake? Shouldn't the host know that the white line on the table should be farther away from the player? What about all of the people on the stage who are offscreen?

Ali started to play Bonkers the way Drew wanted, then started "slipping" into the way Drew does not.

I've never liked Master Key; too much luck involved. I noticed that Drew looked at the second key chosen; is there some kind of code on the key that would indicate which (if any) lock(s) it would open?

Both contestants were way off on their showcase bids.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:29:47 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »
Bonkers: If she'd gone lower on the 5 and with the odds on the other three, she would have won on the first try. And how many times in a row are we going to hear Drew tell the player not to look to the audience, and she does it all the way through? Maybe they should make the audience be quiet as they do for Clock Game?

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
Dice Game:  Curses! :-(
Most Expensive:  Nice job! :-(
Master Key:  Better than winning nothing.
Bonkers:  Horribly played, but that dosen't seem like anything new or unusual for this game lately.

Horrible show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Having the Dice Game table backwards was strange and should have been caught.  Something was also very weird about that first rolled 6, since there was virtually no sound in the studio and Drew just basically walked over and put it in the slot, saying nothing.  

Gwen's reveal during Most Expensive was unnecessarily bad.  As soon as she opened her mouth I knew that the contestant had won.  The flip of a price tag in silence is still the best reveal.

I got fooled on Check-Out.  I don't know what was up with those cheap towels, and I couldn't find a connection between the prizes today.

Master Key was where Drew really made a mistake today.  Once the key opens up the first prize, the contestant should be instructed to go to the car.  It's much more exciting then trying to open up a second prize, and throw in the car as a "bonus".  You also don't get the needed reaction like you do when the contestant realizes they won a car.  I'm also not opposed to him handing over the dud key second, since it fooled me into thinking that the contestant had won one of the bigger prizes.

Sure she should have stopped looking at the audience in Bonkers, but at least she got in a couple of guesses.  The fact that she hit the button on the side was not enough to provide a technical win, nor should it be enough to move the button.  When it only accidently gets hit once in about 10 years, I think the location is fine.  But it didn't stop them from changing the Flip Flop button location, so I don't know what Mike is thinking.

Maybe they should make the audience be quiet as they do for Clock Game?

If you do it for Bonkers, you are going to have to do it for Race Game as well (Time Is Money too, if it was still around).  I don't think we want to turn the show back to 1972.

I noticed that Drew looked at the second key chosen; is there some kind of code on the key that would indicate which (if any) lock(s) it would open?

I saw that too.  I think there are just numbers on the keys and he is signaled off stage which key should be handed to the contestant first (somebody please correct me if I am wrong).
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
During the past 5 days  of shows we've won: Shell Game, Eazy as 123, Clock Game, One Wrong Price, Most Expensive, Push Over and Most Expensive again. While that's better than this time last year, it's still not great. I really wish they had a better handle on the budget so we didn't have to deal with shows like this in May every year. There really isn't a lot to say about these kind of shows because they all tend to blend into one another, and this is also when Drew starts caring less and bringing in less details about the contestants.

Others, though, have alluded to how messy this show was, and I tend to agree. There's really no excuse for setting Dice up backwards - that whole segment was just odd. And I'm really getting tired of Drew mangling Master Key. I know he said in an interview that he was getting tired of the step-by-step processes that Roger taught him on how to host games and wanted to host in his own way. Well, Key especially looks dumb if you don't host it just a certain way - it's just irritating when it comes off awkwardly every single time it's played.

Does anyone out there in the world know how to play Bonkers? We sure can't seem to find anyone lately on stage.

The one good thing I do have to say is that the lineups this week have been outstanding so far. We've seen Punch A Bunch, Step Up, Grocery, Dice, Check-Out, Master Key - not bad at all for just 2 shows.

Timings:
Dice Game (4.5) - 4:05
Most Expensive (3.5)- 3:43
Check-Out (5.5)- 5:32
Freeze Frame (4) - 3:20
Master Key (5)- 4:58
Bonkers (4.5) - 3:18
Total (27): 23:56

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
I know he said in an interview that he was getting tired of the step-by-step processes that Roger taught him on how to host games and wanted to host in his own way.

Why do things the right way when you can do them your own way?   :-?

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
I'm surprised no one caught this yet, unless it was just edited badly. The price fell down before the buzzer sounded during Bonkers. If that were true, shouldn't she have been given a technical win?

Edit: I just realized that it was mentioned already and if she hit the button then it probably wouldn't have been considered a tech win. Oops!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:06:02 PM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
Bonkers...[snip] one thing I'm noticing is people's first guesses are often just one off, but then they never get that close again.
There's an odd psychology to how contestants often play Bonkers. The smarter move would be to make gradual changes to get in as many combos as possible. But many contestants make drastic changes each turn - as if they were playing Mastermind or Lingo and got more information from trying very different combos.

Inexcusable indeed. Isn't the word "PLAYER" on the table where the player should stand? The dice should have been placed there. Shouldn't the models have noticed the mistake? Shouldn't the host know that the white line on the table should be farther away from the player? What about all of the people on the stage who are offscreen?
Sounds like Drew did notice? He was starting to tell the player to stand next to where it says "player" but halted mid-sentence when he saw it wasn't there. I'm guessing he just figured it wasn't worth the time and slowing of the pacing to turn it around.