Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/30/2011  (Read 17099 times)

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/30/2011
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
Airfare prices.  The further from LA, the more expensive.  A flight from LA to Chicago will be less than a flight to NYC.  In the Barker days, three-trip Most Expensive/two trip Switch were the easiest games on the show...pick the trip furthest away from the studio.

Yes, in those games, with multiple trips, the rule makes perfect sense.  In Side-by-Side, there is nothing to compare the trip against.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
Can you explain this?  I don't really know how distance can apply to this game.
In my thinking, the Dominican Republic is far away from LA. Therefore in that situation where there is a $1,010 difference, I'm taking the more expensive one. Sometimes this thinking won't work all of the times but, it did this time. I realize that sometimes you have to put in extras as well.

Yes, in those games, with multiple trips, the rule makes perfect sense.  In Side-by-Side, there is nothing to compare the trip against.
Even if you didn't have anything to compare it to, you could use distance in this game if it were a trip to Palm Springs. If the choices were 2452 and 5224, I'd go with the least expensive one based on the distance of Palm Springs to LA. But as I said earlier, this could backfire.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:08:16 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
-Make Your Move wasn't too difficult with the microwave being the only trap. WHERE WAS THE MYM CUE?

I also thought the same thing concerning the cue. And did you notice that the same cue was played at the beginning of the first showcase? With all the cues in the PIR library, there really is no excuse for that.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »
Airfare prices.  The further from LA, the more expensive.  A flight from LA to Chicago will be less than a flight to NYC.  In the Barker days, three-trip Most Expensive/two trip Switch were the easiest games on the show...pick the trip furthest away from the studio.

Nowadays one of the biggest factors is the hotel name. E.G. New York @ Westin Hotel = Cheap ($4,000-$5,000ish) where as New York @ Eventi = $$$$$ ($15,000ish+)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
In my thinking, the Dominican Republic is far away from LA. Therefore in that situation where there is a $1,010 difference, I'm taking the more expensive one. Sometimes this thinking won't work all of the times but, it did this time. I realize that sometimes you have to put in extras as well.

You do realize this falls apart completely if the trip was $5262 instead of $5242, right?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
You do realize this falls apart completely if the trip was $5262 instead of $5242, right?
Yes, I do. I think my thinking was really only for this playing only. I think it because I think the difference between 4 and 5K are different than a difference between 5K and 6K, even though there isn't any. It is sort of like the difference between the number 4 and 5 when it comes to rounding. I don't know how else to explain it, maybe it's because I'm crazy  :-?. In any case, I think my thinking was conditional.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.