Author Topic: Are groups guaranteed to have someone called to come on down?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Are groups guaranteed to have someone called to come on down?
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:14:46 AM »
Reason I ask the question is that at the taping I was at today, there was a group of 19 needing one more person, so they asked me.  I declined due to having a good priority # of 64.  One of the ways the group tried to motivate me to join them was to claim that they had been told that if they got the 20, they would be guaranteed that someone would be called to come on down.  I didn't pursue it further, so I don't know who told them that.  In this case, they got their 20th, and indeed, one of their group did get called.  Is this guaranteed in general?  Doesn't seem like something that should be.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: Are groups guaranteed to have someone called to come on down?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »
I don't think so... what if there are more than 9 groups? :-P

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
No one is guaranteed to be called down.  Just because you are in a group is not a guarantee to be picked, however, simply due to the odds (approximately 1 in 30 get picked, and groups are more than 20 people) it happens quite often.
John

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:18:18 PM »

This is one of my least favorite myths about the show. Even though the groups like to think that they're guaranteed to get picked, and their friends tell them that it's true because maybe they went as a group and one of them got picked, no one is guaranteed to be called as a contestant. (Sorry for the italics. It just really bugs me because I hear it so often.)

As head page, one of the things I liked to do was find out where in line the big groups were so during seating, I wouldn't wind up with a group of 25 and only 18 empty adjacent seats. As a result, I always knew where the groups were and during the taping, I liked to informally count how many of the groups had somebody called (I'll admit, partially because of the twisted joy from seeing a cocky group sure that one of them would be picked staying in the audience for the entire show). On most days, while some of the groups would have members called, nearly all of the time, not all of the groups would have members called. Which makes sense, since on a group-heavy day, the groups take up more than half of the audience. Plus they're not sleep-deprived, so they're more energetic during the interviews.

By the way, because they get priority in line, groups are not supposed to recruit people on the day of the taping. If the pages catch a group that's recruiting, their group status is revoked and they're placed at the back of the line, behind the standbys. (It's happened before -- speaking of twisted joy...) Personally, I think that that needs to be drilled into their heads more than the "guaranteed to get picked" myth. Especially because the pages are somewhat lenient -- if you make a group reservation for 20, and you only have 19 in the group, they're not going to kick you out for that.

The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Please maintain 6 feet distance.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »
I do appreciate the responses.  That's what I thought the answer was, but I wanted to be sure.  Thanks guys!

Offline vintageTPIRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:33:08 AM »
I was at a taping on Monday and there was a large group of frat guys with matching shirts but none of them were called, which surprised me.  But it was a group-heavy day and there was also a college hockey team there and a group from Pepperdine (both of which had group members picked).

Offline aa2507

• In Contestant's Row
  • Bob and Check Game from June 13, 2007
    • Alex's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:07:02 PM »
So are you telling me that if I bring a group of at least 25 there is no guarantee that one member of that group can be called. So what's the point of having a huge group and not be picked. It's like if I come with at least three people or something still it will be up to the production staff. Whoh I was wrong all this time.
Welcome to my Jungle
http://www.myspace.com/aa2507
Who's NEXT! POKER or JOKER!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
What's the point of having a group?  You don't have to be in line at 4 AM to get into the studio!  I'd say that's quite a benefit!

Offline aa2507

• In Contestant's Row
    • Alex's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:19:01 PM »
It is, but getting there let's say around 8AM and then not be called I say I'm getting ripoff. But I do get to see the show, that's for sure.
Welcome to my Jungle

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 12:23:54 PM »
Alex Alvarez wrote:

It is, but getting there let's say around 8AM and then not be called I say I'm getting ripoff.

But getting there at MIDNIGHT without a group and not getting called isn't a ripoff?

Dude, that is some screwed up logic.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »

Alex Alvarez bumped recently:
So are you telling me that if I bring a group of at least 25 there is no guarantee that one member of that group can be called. So what's the point of having a huge group and not be picked. It's like if I come with at least three people or something still it will be up to the production staff. Whoh I was wrong all this time.

ClockGameJohn wrote ONE WEEK AGO:
No one is guaranteed to be called down.  Just because you are in a group is not a guarantee to be picked, however, simply due to the odds (approximately 1 in 30 get picked, and groups are more than 20 people) it happens quite often.

Reading 101 dismissed.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »

Alex Alvarez wrote:

People in groups of 1 have been chosen before.  I was there in a large group of 2 and was picked.  It's simple math - the more people you have in a group, the more of the audience they take up.  Odds say that 1 in 30 get picked, and if you have a group of 25, the odds are pretty good.

However, as always people are picked on personalities - NOT t-shirts, groups, or gifts for Bob!
John

Offline aa2507

• In Contestant's Row
    • Alex's Youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:14 PM »
Of Course, the gifts are nothing compare to the personalities on the contestants.

Thanks John, I'll sure use more math when it comes to this.
Welcome to my Jungle