Author Topic: Is This A Rumor or True? The Math Game? (1961-1970?)  (Read 1853 times)

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Is This A Rumor or True? The Math Game? (1961-1970?)
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »
Hey All,

In looking up information for the original The Match Game (1062-1969) in which only about 12 episodes are known to still exist.  I came across this episode guide for an allegedly canceled show called The Math Game from 1961-1970.  It shows a cast list at the time with some famous actors who played cartoon characters and some well-known celebrities at the time.  Here's the link:

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-match-game/forums/the-match-game-precursor-reject-the-math-game-1961-1970-2450-1205923/

If this was a rejected show, where did this detailed episode guide come from?  I can find no information about such a show on-line, or at IMDB, nor anyplace else.  Anyone care to research and fill me in here?

Joe

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Is This A Rumor: The Math Game (1961-70)?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
A network series that ran six days a week "In Living Color" from 1961-70 managed to avoid the radars of Roger Dobkowitz, The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, and every other published or online work?

This discovery leads me to think that 1) The Math Game (which reminds me of "Awethumb") truly did fly under every radar ever made (in which case Ben Hallums has done the world a grand service) or 2) Mr. Hallums was lying to try and bait someone, which clearly did not work.

Also...
In looking up information for the original The Match Game (1062-1969) in which only about 12 episodes are known to still exist.
I must say, a game show running for over nine centuries is certainly a feat to behold.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:20:15 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: Is This A Rumor or True? The Math Game? (1961-1970?)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
This just looks like one guys dream TV show, which he wrote a couple seasons for and posted his ideas.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
I must say, a game show running for over nine centuries is certainly a feat to behold.

It would make for some interesting celebrity panelists, though. ;)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
It would make for some interesting celebrity panelists, though. ;)

Agreed!

Joe

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Is This A Rumor: The Math Game (1961-70)?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
A network series that ran six days a week "In Living Color" from 1961-70 managed to avoid the radars of Roger Dobkowitz, The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, and every other published or online work?

This discovery leads me to think that 1) The Math Game (which reminds me of "Awethumb") truly did fly under every radar ever made (in which case Ben Hallums has done the world a grand service) or 2) Mr. Hallums was lying to try and bait someone, which clearly did not work.

Also...I must say, a game show running for over nine centuries is certainly a feat to behold.

LOL!!  I saw that error when it was too late to correct! Of course I meant 1962-1969.

Joe

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
I thought it was a typo. It probably got axed because the title was too similar to that of Gene Rayburn's show (with the only thing missing a "c").