Author Topic: Price could be hitting DVD in the VERY near future.  (Read 12053 times)

Offline JRaygor

• Outside in Line
Re: Price could be hitting DVD in the VERY near future.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 05:54:23 AM »
I was going to suggest an DVD collection of every Barker proclaimed "Historic Moment", but that might take a few thousands discs to put together as well!  :-D

-Joe R.

Offline JWL

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »

PennyAnte91 wrote:
DVD 14: El Skunkos

What's an El Skunko?
Semper Vigilans!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 11:32:03 AM »

What's an El Skunko?

An "El Skunko" is a show with no regular pricing game wins and  a double overbid in the Showcase.
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
Beat me to it, lol.

jimlange

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »
I believe it was me who came up with the term "El Skunko" (borrowing on "El Cheapo"), but Bully managed to highlight the two most recent incidents in a couple of great YouTube videos
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:01 PM »
Yeah, FieldsFan actually coined "El Skunko", but I was able to make some pretty good YouTube clips that showcase the last two "El Skunko" incidents:

"El Skunko:  The Motion Picture--ULTIMATE EDITION"  (This was from February 23)

"El Skunko II:  The Wrath of Roger"  (Sensing a theme here?  This one was from November 3)

Hopefully, I'll be able to make "El Skunko III:  The Search for Bulldog" (because of my plans to go see TPiR in March) really soon!   :-D  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline LaurenC09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 03:15:03 PM »
Well I'm hoping they come out with something to honor Bob this summer. Even if it's not all the seasons, but sort of a "best of" from the show, and then include the other stuff that Bob has done over the years. I would definitely be in line to get that one.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 02:33:07 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Bob's TPiR moments were to become a DVD series that you could by on the internet, or from a TV info-mercial.  This is what has happened to Johnny Carson and the classic Tonight Show.  At johnnycarson.com you can buy different DVD sets or have small monthly DVD packages sent to you.

Offline James_Fabiano

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »
Aside from the usual, I believe someone else said that having to face the ousted Beauties and such when it comes to royalties was another issue (someone noticed that on one of the GS moments specials, they blurred out people).  True?
I STILL BELIEVE IN "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
No "El Skunko's" How about "El Perfecto's" instead?

All '86 specials, Vegas special, armed forces specials and all MDS's.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
Volume 14: El Skunkos and El Perfectos

Why not have the best (and worst) of both worlds?
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 08:35:42 PM »

FieldsFan336 wrote:
Volume 14: El Skunkos and El Perfectos

Why not have the best (and worst) of both worlds?

I think we're treading into unsalable territory here, particularly if we're considering these to be future standalone DVDs.

Really, who's going to pay $19.95 or $24.95 for a collection of shows where everyone lost?  And even perfect shows, if there's nothing exceptional in them except for the fact that all six pricing games are won, aren't necessarily worth their own collection.

Face it, folks:  they're going to have to market to the general public and attempt to attract as many people as they can to justify the expense of production and marketing, and it's those all-too-familiar gems that many of us have seen over and over, that what the majority of people out there want to see.  That's why they keep getting shown.

There are a lot more little gems out there that don't make the clip reels, and those gems are what they'll most likely be marketing if they ever reach that many volumes.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
36 volumes. I'd buy it in a minute. Every season ever with all those extra stuff. This is a good thread.

And sorry to bring this off-topic. But Frank15, sorry for making that dumb poll. I thought it would be interesting. My apologies.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »
CBSpromoman wrote:
Face it, folks:  they're going to have to market to the general public and attempt to attract as many people as they can to justify the expense of production and marketing

I agree.  A Price Is Right D.V.D. will have to appeal to the average viewer, not the hardcore Barkermaniac who studies each episode recap to memory.

Realistically... even if PennyAnte91's 36-disc collection could be produced, how many times would you be able to sit through the entire thing?  On the other hand, I can appreciate it from a collector's point of view, the idea of "having" each and every PIR available at a moment's notice.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline luckymee

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 11:56:55 PM »
I agree with others that a TPIR DVD with all pricing games won/lost would be dull. Why would someone who does not have alot of money continue to buy DVD's like that for $24.95 plus with no excitement or funny happenings?

My guess is that they will have series sets like the MDSpectaculars, Holidays, (Christmas Viewer Showcases), Retired Pricing Games, April Fools, On locations (Las Vegas) and the ol' Janice, Holly, Diane Blooper, etc.sets.

Just like the recently released Matchgame DVD. I bought it and laughed my head off. One also keeping in mind that TPIR will still be on t.v. after Bob retires.

Just my opinion on the sets I would purchase. Now those would be a collectors edition.

Feedback most welcomed.
luckymee / kadwash@comcast.net