Author Topic: What's Going On @ Golden-Road.Net??  (Read 44403 times)

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
Re: What's Going On @ Golden-Road.Net??
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I think I first signed up around season 33 and thought this was the greatest place ever.  It was so cool seeing all of the background stuff you never see on the show.  I also remember the relaunch for season 36.  It seemed to me that's when this place changed.  I like the new direction better than the old direction, but I lost interest in the site.  A couple months ago I decided to start coming back, but mainly just as a 'listener'.  I usually come around once a day or once every other day and it just depresses me that everyone seems to hate everyone else.  I realize that maybe the person who posted might try to be rude, but it comes off as rude, and that's why I still don't post.  I would love to see the humanity level raise again so new and different people can come in and have some fun, but at this point I don't see that happening.  I don't know how or even what to change here.  But I do see potential, and I would love to see this place become more open
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
I apologize, but I'd like to request that the title of this thread be changed; as in I'd like the Going and On to be in lowercase, and I'd like the @ replaced with the word at, because I did start this thread. Thank you.  :-)

Also, I'm loving these discussions. I'm really beginning to feel like the war is subsiding, and I'm so happy about that. Please, say anything and everything you want about this issue, because every voice matters.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: What's going on at Golden-Road.Net??
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
^Done (at least for my post), sir. :-)

I joined the site on May 27, 2011 due to having pertinent, relevant, and helpful information on a topic regarding the Hole In One "$500 sign/flag" changes, but had regularly visited for quite some time beforehand. I quickly became a regular poster, and have attempted to keep a high amount of quality posts. The only times I have ever entirely "bashed" an opinion, I do believe, are when the opinion is unjustifiable (such as thinking that lots of shoes were more exciting than a car) or when it is clear the poster in question is a troll and on their way to Banville.

While yes, there have been plenty of instances where I insert snarky comments into a thread, they were never meant to distract from the discussion and I do not believe it ever has (at least as far as my posts are concerned; I cannot, and shall not, speak for others). I would liken myself to Mr. Gavazzi in regard to pointing out idiocy.

In general, however, I have noticed that there has been considerably more fighting, arguments, and quite a few new members who come on here and think they can just ignore all laws of the English language (assuming their first language is English; obviously, you let them slide otherwise) over the eighteen months I have been a member.

In regard to other users, I have tried to be courteous (barring the aforementioned "shoes >>> car") and gently correct them if need be, one example being when I tried (but ultimately failed) to stop TheGRVOfLightning from quitting his first HYO show, then attempted to continue the show only to find that there was very little in the way of script.

For trolls and the like, my first post or two in response always goes the "diplomatic" route -- attempting to calm them down and see why they were acting as they were. Almost always, this was meant with a slew of profanity or other such terms, which generally led me to making snark-based remarks and/or a "Three Strikes" style of pointing out their idiocies (this was when I was reasonably certain they were going to Banville).

Regardless of all this, and unlike quite a few members, my Ignore list is empty as I have found no reason to use it. Inversely, I apologize if I am, or have ever been, such that I have ended up on anyone's Ignore list...although if posts from others regarding me are any indication, I have little to worry about in this regard.

And now, to respond to some other comments...
====
As for the OILF games, I agree with Marc. They're a nice distraction for some folks and while wadding through them is certainly a chore, it doesn't bother me that much. Heck, I've participated in some of them
Seconded, and so have I, as they are a good flexing of the mental muscles. They are also rather popular; looking at the current "rotation", as it were...

* "Plinko meets Chain Reaction?" is the oldest of the current group, debuting January 22, 2009. It is also by far the most popular and the largest OILF thread, with over 10,000 posts and 316,000 views.
* "Switch? Meets Chain Reaction" has been played since April 11, 2009, with over 6,900 posts and 198,000 views.
* "The Person Below Me Game" (not exactly a game) was created on April 21, 2010 so members could learn a little about each other. It has over 3,600 posts and 141,000 views.
* "Wheel of Fortune Game" has run since March 16, 2011, with over 3,100 posts and 91,000 views.
* "Millionaire Game" debuted on June 7, 2012 yet has amassed over 600 posts and 13,000 views, becoming the fifteenth-largest OILF thread in slightly over six months.

...which all means they must be doing something right. Indeed, the nine largest OILF topics are games -- the aforementioned are #1, 2, 4, and 6, the others being "TPIR Caption Game" (February 15, 2009 - September 9, 2012), "TPIR Mystery Pic" (March 2, 2010 - May 7, 2012), "What Song Are You Listening To?/Is It On Your iPod?" (May 4, 2008 - April 23, 2011), "Ask A Stupid Question, Get A Stupid Answer" (June 8 - October 9, 2009), and "Two Choices Game" (June 21, 2011 - May 31, 2012).

I do know marc posted in a thread before the 4th of july that he has no intentions of steering this site back to what it used to be and did say that if it had not been for what has gone into developing this site, it would have been gone a long time ago.
Perhaps I am confusing something, but I thought Marc said this in regard to having an open relationship with the Price staff after Roger was fired and the disastrous meal Marc and John had with Drew (as was remarked on an episode of Stu's Show, Drew talked at considerable length about Second Life).

Since Mike and Drew and the rest of the new regime took over it seems like neither Marc & John or Drew & Mike want to extend any olive branch and that's fine and also expected, but that also takes away from one of the great qualities the site used to have and also made some members stop frequenting as much.
See my prior response.

Because of Roger's clearly very evident love for the show, and his connection with the site, a lot of people reacted very, VERY strongly to his departure from the show what were far from ideal circumstances.

But an awful lot of people were SO vocally anti-Richards and anti-Drew (Any willingness to cut Drew slack went right out the window when Roger departed) that mountains of criticism emerged.
And their voices only got louder, and the cutting-of-slack essentially dropped, when the Perfect Showcase Bid happened. Drew's actions during the big moment, how the staff reacted to it, and the fallout from afterward (which remains even four years later) not only made things considerably worse but may indicate that the new regime was specifically looking for some way to sever any remaining ties with this site.

I remember reading several years ago a speculation by someone (forgot the name; apologies) that Fremantle and its predecessors, All-American and Pearson, were no more than real-life trolls with millions (AND MILLIONS!) of dollars who cackled in glee when the game show fanbase got angry at yet another botched revival or yet another nonsensical decision. Whether this is actually the case, I do not know, as (for example) not every revival was botched and Family Feud turned itself around in 2003.

I am a FIRM believer in quality over quantity.
Seconded, and very much so. Not just in general, but regarding "post-for-access" thresholds. In fairness, such a measure is far better than paying to access the forums as is the case with (I do believe) Something Awful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:26:55 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline duncan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Steve Gavazzi is a Hotel Atlante, he should be banned.

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
Please don't delete the above, it proves a point.
Steve Gavazzi is a Hotel Atlante, he should be banned.
These types of people who crop up just to stir the pot are half the problem.  And the other half are the people who just post to bash everyone who doesn't like the new way of things.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline duncan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
Sorry, I should have said dago instead.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
^Is this a repeat offender of this site? Mr. 28 is correct, however, in that this proves a point -- indeed, part of the reason this thread was made.

"duncan", why are you so racist? I am legitimately curious.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
^Is this a repeat offender of this site?

Dunno who he is, but I'm reasonably sure this isn't a visit by Duffnation at least.

"duncan", why are you so racist? I am legitimately curious.

Don't feed the troll.  The second Seth sees this he's going to be on the fast train to Banville.

I'm honest, not racist.

No, you're racist.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
This reminds me of another problem.

When a troll comes on people feel the urge to post responses to him, for instance, this troll clearly just wants attention, and everyone is giving him it by making replies and feeding him with more stuff to use. I'm sure Seth or someone else will be along shortly to handle the situation.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
I have to admit...DarkShockBro and multiple posters who followed really hit on a lot of things I was personally concerned about. I am not ashamed to admit I contacted a member of our moderation staff a while back with these same concerns, mostly because it seemed like they were as fed up as I was.

Most every thread around here starts out with great discussion and somehow turns into a pointless argument that goes back-and-forth between two or three members. In essence, this ends up killing what good discussion happened up to that point and ends up killing the thread. I don't like reading threads that turn into pointless bickering, and that's certainly one of the main reasons why my posting activity has been limited around here as of late.

The other major reason is a certain subset of the board likes going after someone just for the sake of calling them a Drew-basher or accusing them of Drew/Mike bashing. There are some people who don't like Drew, while there are some people who think Drew can do no wrong. I understand this. I like Drew as a person and enjoyed his run on Whose Line, but I think he has a few flaws that make him more suited for a late-night show than The Price is Right. With the proper explanation, I think that's a fair point. Unfortunately, this is considered Drew bashing on this board. Unless someone starts insulting Drew personally or wishing him bodily harm, calling someone out for Drew bashing for no good reason other than to call someone a Drew basher is not something I can say I like to read. I've even stopped sharing my opinions on this because I don't want to be caught up in one of these arguments. I think there's a real problem that I even have that feeling--whereas back in, say, 2007 or 2008, this wouldn't have crossed my mind.

I don't enjoy this "new direction", but I still try to watch the show whenever I can and give it a chance. I'd say this is only about 5% of the reason I don't post as often as in the past.

I still enjoy this site, or I would have given up posting instead of staying around in some capacity for the past six years. I would love to apply to Marc to be a mod if I had the time to do so because I enjoy being a member here enough that I could see myself devoting more time to the site. For now, though, I'll just stay a regular member and let our current mods do what they need to do. We have the best moderation staff on the Internet, and I wouldn't want to bring that down.

Well...I've already said too much. I'll get off my soapbox and drift back into obscurity. ;)
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
This reminds me of another problem.

When a troll comes on people feel the urge to post responses to him, for instance, this troll clearly just wants attention, and everyone is giving him it by making replies and feeding him with more stuff to use.
Admittedly, I was "trolling the troll" in this case. Nonetheless, I see and understand your point.

For the record, I saved copies of several threads he created or posted in, usually right before Seth (or whoever was responsible) removed said posts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:29:43 PM by GuyWithFace »

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
^Done (at least for my post), sir. :-)

I joined the site on May 27, 2011 due to having pertinent, relevant, and helpful information on a topic regarding the Hole In One "$500 sign/flag" changes, but had regularly visited for quite some time beforehand. I quickly became a regular poster, and have attempted to keep a high amount of quality posts. The only times I have ever entirely "bashed" an opinion, I do believe, are when the opinion is unjustifiable (such as thinking that lots of shoes were more exciting than a car) or when it is clear the poster in question is a troll and on their way to Banville.

While yes, there have been plenty of instances where I insert snarky comments into a thread, they were never meant to distract from the discussion and I do not believe it ever has (at least as far as my posts are concerned; I cannot, and shall not, speak for others). I would liken myself to Mr. Gavazzi in regard to pointing out idiocy.

In general, however, I have noticed that there has been considerably more fighting, arguments, and quite a few new members who come on here and think they can just ignore all laws of the English language (assuming their first language is English; obviously, you let them slide otherwise) over the eighteen months I have been a member.

In regard to other users, I have tried to be courteous (barring the aforementioned "shoes >>> car") and gently correct them if need be, one example being when I tried (but ultimately failed) to stop TheGRVOfLightning from quitting his first HYO show, then attempted to continue the show only to find that there was very little in the way of script.

For trolls and the like, my first post or two in response always goes the "diplomatic" route -- attempting to calm them down and see why they were acting as they were. Almost always, this was meant with a slew of profanity or other such terms, which generally led me to making snark-based remarks and/or a "Three Strikes" style of pointing out their idiocies (this was when I was reasonably certain they were going to Banville).

Regardless of all this, and unlike quite a few members, my Ignore list is empty as I have found no reason to use it. Inversely, I apologize if I am, or have ever been, such that I have ended up on anyone's Ignore list...although if posts from others regarding me are any indication, I have little to worry about in this regard.

And now, to respond to some other comments...
====Seconded, and so have I, as they are a good flexing of the mental muscles. They are also rather popular; looking at the current "rotation", as it were...

* "Plinko meets Chain Reaction?" is the oldest of the current group, debuting January 22, 2009. It is also by far the most popular and the largest OILF thread, with over 10,000 posts and 316,000 views.
* "Switch? Meets Chain Reaction" has been played since April 11, 2009, with over 6,900 posts and 198,000 views.
* "The Person Below Me Game" (not exactly a game) was created on April 21, 2010 so members could learn a little about each other. It has over 3,600 posts and 141,000 views.
* "Wheel of Fortune Game" has run since March 16, 2011, with over 3,100 posts and 91,000 views.
* "Millionaire Game" debuted on June 7, 2012 yet has amassed over 600 posts and 13,000 views, becoming the fifteenth-largest OILF thread in slightly over six months.

...which all means they must be doing something right. Indeed, the nine largest OILF topics are games -- the aforementioned are #1, 2, 4, and 6, the others being "TPIR Caption Game" (February 15, 2009 - September 9, 2012), "TPIR Mystery Pic" (March 2, 2010 - May 7, 2012), "What Song Are You Listening To?/Is It On Your iPod?" (May 4, 2008 - April 23, 2011), "Ask A Stupid Question, Get A Stupid Answer" (June 8 - October 9, 2009), and "Two Choices Game" (June 21, 2011 - May 31, 2012).
Perhaps I am confusing something, but I thought Marc said this in regard to having an open relationship with the Price staff after Roger was fired and the disastrous meal Marc and John had with Drew (as was remarked on an episode of Stu's Show, Drew talked at considerable length about Second Life).
See my prior response.
And their voices only got louder, and the cutting-of-slack essentially dropped, when the Perfect Showcase Bid happened. Drew's actions during the big moment, how the staff reacted to it, and the fallout from afterward (which remains even four years later) not only made things considerably worse but may indicate that the new regime was specifically looking for some way to sever any remaining ties with this site.

I remember reading several years ago a speculation by someone (forgot the name; apologies) that Fremantle and its predecessors, All-American and Pearson, were no more than real-life trolls with millions (AND MILLIONS!) of dollars who cackled in glee when the game show fanbase got angry at yet another botched revival or yet another nonsensical decision. Whether this is actually the case, I do not know, as (for example) not every revival was botched and Family Feud turned itself around in 2003.
Seconded, and very much so. Not just in general, but regarding "post-for-access" thresholds. In fairness, such a measure is far better than paying to access the forums as is the case with (I do believe) Something Awful.

Regarding what I posted. Actually right after marc and john found out that roger had been let go, they were close to shutting this site down for good. But I think after a few days, they decided to keep it going.

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Admittedly, I was "trolling the troll" in this case. Nonetheless, I see and understand your point.

For the record, I saved copies of several threads he created or posted in, usually right before Seth (or whoever was responsible) removed said posts.
I personally think these battles are pretty funny, because when silliness like that takes place, I feel like you just have to laugh.  :-D

Still, I can understand why it might annoy people, but I personally don't mind 'em all that much. Anything that gets me to crack up that much isn't bad in my book.  :-)

But, then again, it does show how far the site has fallen, that we're resorting to trolling the trolls just to get our humor. And, even worse, the fact that these trolls have slipped through the cracks so many times...yeah.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Perhaps we could create a box saying 'Why do you want to be a member of this board?' like in BigJon's PC Games board. That way, you might be able to determine who's trolling, and who isn't. Granted, I wish the password system worked on that board...but that's just an individual complaint. Aside from that...we just have to be careful who we grant membership to.

PS: GuyWithFace, thanks for implementing the changes I mentioned in my last post. Again, you don't have to, as I realize I wasn't being completely truthful or accurate with those statements, but I thank you anyway. :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
I'd like to make a suggestion. Perhaps we could create a box saying 'Why do you want to be a member of this board?' like in BigJon's PC Games board. That way, you might be able to determine who's trolling, and who isn't. Granted, I wish the password system worked on that board...but that's just an individual complaint. Aside from that...we just have to be careful who we grant membership to.

That would work a lot better for spammers than it would for trolls, good idea though.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
That would work a lot better for spammers than it would for trolls, good idea though.
I suppose so. Still, it would be a nice start, and I'm glad you like the idea.
Stop the madness.