Author Topic: Conversation About The Price is Right Isn't Always So Easy: A Comedy Sketch?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
Hello, everyone.  I don't usually post too often but have always enjoyed being able to visit and share in experiences and perspectives held by loyal friends and true.  I wanted to take this opportunity to share a, well, what I think is something of a unique experience this week which relates to TPIR and see what you think.

To provide some quick background, I am 32 and a corporate attorney, who also is fortunate to be in his sixth year as an adjunct professor of political science at a major private university in South Florida; I'd tell you which university it is, but I don't want to embarrass the students about whom I'm going to tell you a story more than their own comments may reveal.  However, I earned my Bachelor of Arts degree from that same institution, in the same major course of study, in 1992, and taped TPIR everyday I had class at 11:00 A.M. so that I could have & enjoy my quiet "hour of Zen" sometime during the day.  I ended my college career by giving away several thousand dollars worth of prizes on campus in a homespun, homemade version of the show, complete with seven-foot tall Big Wheel and a Plinko board.  Stories about all of that are better saved for another day, because this story is long enough!  LOL.

Every semester, I ask the students in the introductory American government class that I teach to provide some basic background information about themselves, so that I can try to get to know them better.  My exams are difficult enough and I try to conduct my class in a unique way, so an icebreaker to start the festivities seems neighborly.

Over the past few semesters, I've asked such gems (or examples of fools gold) as "Describe a talent that few people know you have", only to make students come to the front of the class and display the talent, or "You just won $1,000,000.  What is the very first thing you buy, and why?"  This semester, though, I decided to ask a question nearer & dearer to my heart:  "If you were a contestant on The Price is Right, what pricing game would you like to play if you were a contestant on the show, and why?"

Now, I realize that many who do not frequent Golden-Road.net probably don't know or care nearly as much about TPIR as we (in the average) do.  Still, I expected I'd get responses like "I want to play the game with the discs that go through the pegs so I can win money because I am a poor college student" or "I'd play the game with the guy who goes up the hill and falls to his death because I want to see him go 'aaaaggghh'" (Author's Note:  just like I did today in The Amazing Race, but that's another story...).  Even my mother, who watches the show only when I visit my family and watch there, filled in the sentence with a description of Cliff Hangers when I told her about this.

Here, though, are some of the responses I DID get (not even corrected for grammar, style, etc.); some, as you may sense, are better than others:

"The game where you guess whether the actual price of product is higher or lower because when I play along I usually guess right."

"I would play the game where you match the price with the everyday household items (baking soda, canned string beans, etc.) because I think I am a rather sensible person and am usually able to guess them correctly."

"My favorite game on the 'price is right' is the one that you guess the price of the gifts."  (That student later told me it was the game with the trips, because the student saw it with his/her grandmother the other day)

"Spin the wheel because I enjoy watching old and weak people attempt to spin the wheel" (and, no, this person did not know about Dane Cook's four-minute-or-so routine involving "the 'PIR'", as he likes to call it).

"Where you place the product and you have [to] match the price to the product."  (I managed to eke out of the student that the game he meant was "It's in the Bag".

"My favorite game on the 'Price is Right' is when contestants guess the price of a product because more than likely there is one product that will stump them and I enjoy watching that happen."

"Plinko!  Duh!"

"Don't know the name of the game but, the one I like is the game where you are supposed to match the price with the item."

And, finally...

"Guess the price of the car where they give you the different numbers to fill in the slot.  I'd want to do this game b/c the prize is a car."  (And, no:  no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't even get close to which game he meant, because each description met with a headshake)

I didn't prescreen the cards, so I was laughing like all get-out when I read through them with the class.  Of course, I was laughing on the outside but crying on the inside, especially for the half-dozen or more students who either said "What's that?" or "I've not seen that since I was 3".  I told the class I'd pray for them tonight, since I figured this must be one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse!  Given that those students weren't foreign exchange students, I started wondering if they were born & raised in caves.  Doesn't anyone get sick and stay home from school anymore, or do they watch "The View" or "Martha" if they do?

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you, figuring some of you might find it entertaining.  I'd love to see what you think, too.

Take care, and good night.
FloridaAdam (Adam)

P.S.  My apologies for so long a post, but I didn't want to give the story and its background short shrift.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
These kids today, with their video games and MTV2's... no wonder this country is going down the tubes!

That reminds me of when Jeff used to do contestant interviews. One of the questions he would often ask was, "Besides Plinko, what is your favorite pricing game?" Since I hadn't progressed to head page at the time, I was out in the line and got to hear a lot of unique responses. Responses such as "Mountain Climber," "Beat the Clock," "that game where you roll the dice" ("Dice Game?" "Yeah!"), and "Eight Chances." And these were the people who wanted to see the show!
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Please maintain 6 feet distance.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
It's actually because of the TSA (a.k.a. the folks who control screening at airports).  They know that if TPiR were more popular among young ones, they'd buy keychains that had minituare versions of the big wheel and the Plinko board, which would cause the metal detectors to go off, taking away from their time doing more important things.  They of course could never tell us this is their reasoning  :-D.

Offline RobertSearcy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
especially for the half-dozen or more students who either said "What's that?" or "I've not seen that since I was 3".

Fail those students and put 'em on academic probation! :lol: j/k

Not a bad way to try to get to know your students. :-)

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
I just had myself at least as much, but probably more, of a laugh from those responses alone.  

Scott, I might just have a relative of one of those interviewees in my class, because one young lady pretty much asked:  "What's the name of the game with the dice for a car?", to which I responded with something probably a lot like "Hmmm, dice.... game .... dice ... game... dice.. game.. oh, you mean Dice Game?  Imagine that:  taking a game involving dice and calling it 'Dice Game'.".

LiteBulb, if only we had licensing rights, I bet we could all be rich if we ponied together to create, market & sell keyrings like that.  Something that would allow people to amuse themselves in entirely appropriate ways (the wheel could spin, maybe even play "Dig We Must" if the wheel lands on $1.00; a Plinko keychain probably would work better if electronic; and, yes, I'd like royalties or a share if someone runs with this, thank you very much.  LOL)

And, Robert:  let's see...having to grade those six sets of Blue Books this semester or making my life simple like you suggest.  The rules clearly state that grades have to be based on academic proficiency on course-corresponding material, but if they could stand a rewrite, yours probably should be one of the Ten College Commandments:  "Thou shalt know and love thy Price is Right, else suffer the wrath of he who leads you through class each night."

Kids these days!