Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/30/2013  (Read 10317 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 5/30/2013
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6374K
Aired – 5/30/2013; Taped – 4/22/2013
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Gwendolyn Osbourne-Smith
Microphone Handoff: Manuela
First Four Contestant Seating: Right to Left

First IUFB: iPhone 5 (Apple: 16GB iPhone 5, rear facing camera and calling plan); ARP: $1,040 (Overhead)

AMY JOSEPH GLENN ASHLEY
850 420 1049 852

The winner is...
ASHLEY

Ashley is playing One Away for a 2013 Honda CR-Z (CVT Transmission, 1.5L engine, integrated motor assist, all-season floor mats) (Gwendolyn).

Oh, mighty sound effects lady!!! Does she have...

One right? HONK!

Two right? HONK!

Three right? EPIC SILENCE

LOSS

Second IUFB: Designer Watches (Jetset: 5 ladies time-pieces); ARP: $1,050 (Gwendolyn and Manuela)

AMY JOSEPH GLENN JENETTE
1000 1 1201 1200

The winner is...
AMY

Amy, from Salt Lake City, Utah, is playing Most Expen$ive for:

1. Television (65in Plasma HDTV with 1080p full resolution, eco-mode and power save) (Gwendolyn).
2. Designer Accessories (7-piece collection with 3 leather handbags, 1 wallet, wool and silk blend scarf, 1 leather headband with gem detail and a raffia hat) (Manuela)
3. Off-Road Motorcycle (Honda: CRF-100F with a 99cc air-cooled engine, 5-speed transmission) (George).

Guess: 1.

$1700 $1013 $2880

LOSS

Third IUFB: Home Theatre Speaker Package (9-piece 7.1 channel package); ARP: $549 (Gwendolyn)

TRACE JOSEPH GLENN JENETTE
1100 1600 1101 1

The winner is...
JENETTE

Jenette is playing PLINKO! for a chance to win $50,000!.

Drew gives her a free Plinko chip.
$

Chip #1 (Electric Ice Cream Maker) (Manuela):

She picks 0...
WIN!
$60
$

Chip #2 (Cookie Cutters):

She picks 6...

Chip #3 (Note Dispenser):

She picks 8...

Chip #4 (Pizza Cooker):

She picks 5...
WIN!
$45
$

Jenette drops the first chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Jenette drops the second chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Jenette drops the third chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

LOSS (Total Winnings: $12,105)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Ashley $1,040 85 STAY .85 *SHOWCASE*
Amy $1,050 5 35 .40
Jenette $12,654 10 60 .70

Fourth IUFB: Pair of Kayaks (Cobra Explorer: self-bailing kayaks with oversized storage tank and accessories); ARP: $2,094 (Manuela)

TRACE JOSEPH GLENN LETESHA
700 701 702 650

The winner is...
GLENN

Glenn, also from Salt Lake City, Utah, is playing SIDE BY SIDE for a trip to Hawaii (RT Coach to Maui, HI for a 6n stay in a 1-bedroom oceanview condo at the Outrigger Royal Kahuna + guided day hike) (Gwendolyn).

The ARP is either $8268 or $6882.

BY  
SIDE 82 SIDE

He picks...

BY  
SIDE   SIDE
82 68  
82 68 WIN

Fifth IUFB: Dishwasher (Elmira Stove Works: Retro Diwasher with 6 wash programs and drying system); ARP: $1,498 (Gwendolyn)

TRACE JOSEPH CERULEN LETESHA
455 456 800 355

The winner is...
CERULEN

Cerulen is playing Pass the Buck for a 2013 Ford Fiesta SE (1.6L engine, A/C, tire pressure monitoring system; ARP: $16,995) (Manuela).

1) Pillsbury Cookie Dough

ARP: $5.19
2) Gold Bond Foot Cream
$
ARP: $5.99
3) Cool Whip Whipped Cream
ARP: $2.29
4) Biotene Toothpaste
$
ARP: $6.53
Cerulen chooses number 5.
LOSE EVERYTHING
Cerulen chooses number 4.
$1,000
LOSE EVERYTHING
The car was at:
$5,000
$3,000
LOSE EVERYTHING
$1,000
LOSE EVERYTHING
CAR

LOSS (Total Winnings: $1,000)

Well, he's back. The limo driver, looking for something to get him paid, is waiting for our $420 man. He needs to win here, or Byesville, Ohio awaits him.

Sixth IUFB: Table Tennis Package (Butterfly North America: German-engineered table); ARP: $725 (Gwendolyn and Manuela)

TRACE JOSEPH DEBRA LETESHA
650 651 800 600

The winner is...
JOSEPH

Joseph, a computer science student at the University of California Santa Barbara, escapes the trip to Byesville, and is playing Geezmo Magic Number for a new grill (The Napoleon Company: Stainless Steel Gas Grill) (Manuela) and a new hot tub (Beachcomber: 10 jet ports and seats 5) (Gwendolyn).

GRILL
HOT TUB

ARPs:

$1399
$4995

WIN

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Cerulen $2,498 25 10 .35
Joseph $7,119 100 1.00 *$1,000*
Glenn $10,362 10 20 .30

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Joseph $8,119 15
*$10,000*

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Joseph has the honors...

SC1 - Joseph

WHEEL AROUND
  • Inflatable Twister Outdoor Game (Fits 10 people) (Gwendolyn)
  • Trip to Las Vegas (RT Coach to Las Vegas, NV for a 5n stay in a luxury hotel, dinner, Hoover Dam tour, tickets to two shows and fine art gallery admission courtesy Vegas.com) (Manuela)
  • 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS (1.8L engine, daytime running lights, mudguard, auto armor) (Manuela)
Bid: $22,000

SC2 - Ashley

ONE PRODUCER'S TRASH IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE
  • Trip to Florida (RT Coach to Tampa, FL then Treasure Island via Rental car for 5n stay at 3-bedroom room at Crystal Palace Beach Resort + $400 credit for dinner and entertainment plus hot stone massage) (Manuela)
  • Collection of Jewelry (Dev Valencia: 14ct gold and sterling silver rhodium suite with 1ct diamond) (Manuela)
  • Ski Boat (15ft 4in Boston Whaler 150 Supersport Boat: 60HP engine, bow cushion and cooler with seat cushion, swivel bucket seats, trailer) (Gwendolyn)
Bid: $28,320
Joseph
$22,000
HYUNDAI
$23,551
$1,551
HYUNDAI
*WIN*
$41,670
Ashley
$28,320
SKI BOAT
$34,749
$6,429
SKI BOAT

Results: 2 out of 6 (Plinko center slot hit)
Winnings: $69,274
Biggest Winner: Joseph

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:04:49 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/30/2013
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
What a coincidence that Ashley wore a "oh mighty sound effects lady" t-shirt and yet she played One Away!

Loved the celebration by Joseph's buddies when he won his showcase.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
Just an OK show today. Good example of how Buck is still broken even if someone gets a pick.

Plinko is set up as it should be and she blows 60 cookie cutters? Shameful.

I don't mind M# on 3 weeks, I'm just still not used to it yet. However, they still don't know how to set it up properly.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
Ashley was a really enjoyable contestant.  It's a real shame she won so little.  She seemed to know what she was doing at every point, even if that didn't result in much winning on her end.  Still, she had a pretty good "had a good time anyway" reaction to losing the showcase.  That's always nice.

Jenette was fun too, in the more traditional "really excited contestant" sort of way.  She didn't really do well with an easy Plinko setup, but whatever, she was fun anyway.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
This was an enjoyable show, with some good contestants.  Even though quite a bit was given away, it was a shame that more was not won, as there was potential for bigger winning.

Who would want to pay over $5 for toothpaste?   :-o

Is it me, or has Plinko been played a bit more than usual this season?

I think that this is the second playing of Side by Side in a row where the contestant has gone against the majority of the audience and won.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
Is it me, or has Plinko been played a bit more than usual this season?

You weren't around when Roger was producer, were you :oldlol:?

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
I know we're not supposed to real say anything too derogatory about the contestants themselves, but, I have to mention this because it really stood out for me.

But, I was not terribly happy to see Joseph be the big winner of today's show. He started off with those "haha, look, I'm so funny" bids of $420 and one dollar (when he bid third) to constantly bidding one dollar more than the girl to his left and then hugging her afterwards - it just smacked of douchebaggery of the highest order. Plus, his frat buddies in the third row obnoxiously starting the chants for him towards the end of the show. The fact that he won the extra $10,000 in the Showcase Showdown coupled with what would have been a funny moment of him and his friends jumping all over the inflatable Twister mat would have been great moments if he hadn't ruined it earlier by acting like such a jerk.

And I posted this in a previous day's recap thread and it just seems to be a recurring thing now, but, what is with most of the contestants on the show these days being so over the top and smugly chatty during the show now? For example, look at Glenn (the guy who played Side By Side)... he had to throw in his smart-mouthed commentary to the audience during the game and during the showdown, too. It just reeks of phony - like the way reality show contestants are coached by producers to be more lively on camera. If it was more genuine and rare, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it seems to me that ever since they started mic'ing the contestants during the show, it happens way too much with a lot of them just being phony and ultimately loathsome.

That being said, the Plinko prices were very Roger-esque today - that was nice to see.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
Timings:
One Away (6) - 5:37
Most Expensive (3.5) - 3:05
Plinko (5.5) - 5:23
Side By Side (3.5) - 2:43
Pass The Buck (5.5) - 5:02
Magic # (4.5) - 4:18
Total (28.5): 25:08

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »
Pretty decent lineup. I felt like this was just going to be a same old same old and finish with Stack the Deck and Switch? but was surprised to see Buck and Magic # show up! :)

It was especially nice to see someone get more than 1 pick in Pass the Buck. It was not, however, nice to see him walk away with only $1,000. Must the Car always be in #1 or #6 95% of the time?

Showcase #1 was one of the most bizarre showcases I've seen. Trying to combine a gigantic inflatable twister with Las Vegas and a Hyundai? Why not pair it with a carnival themed package (skee-ball, water blast arcade machine, etc.) and a clown car, like a Mini Cooper? :P

But, I was not terribly happy to see Joseph be the big winner of today's show. He started off with those "haha, look, I'm so funny" bids of $420 and one dollar (when he bid third) to constantly bidding one dollar more than the girl to his left and then hugging her afterwards - it just smacked of douchebaggery of the highest order. Plus, his frat buddies in the third row obnoxiously starting the chants for him towards the end of the show. The fact that he won the extra $10,000 in the Showcase Showdown coupled with what would have been a funny moment of him and his friends jumping all over the inflatable Twister mat would have been great moments if he hadn't ruined it earlier by acting like such a jerk.

And I posted this in a previous day's recap thread and it just seems to be a recurring thing now, but, what is with most of the contestants on the show these days being so over the top and smugly chatty during the show now? For example, look at Glenn (the guy who played Side By Side)... he had to throw in his smart-mouthed commentary to the audience during the game and during the showdown, too. It just reeks of phony - like the way reality show contestants are coached by producers to be more lively on camera. If it was more genuine and rare, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it seems to me that ever since they started mic'ing the contestants during the show, it happens way too much with a lot of them just being phony and ultimately loathsome.

Honestly, I don't see why you should get that angry at Joseph. One upping is the way the game is played. It is strategically the best thing to do when you don't know the exact price of something. It gives you the greatest chances of going on stage. Yes, he seemed to one up one person more than others, but that could be coincidence, or might not be. Who are we to make assumptions about that?

His frat brothers chanting during the showdown was a great part of the show. They weren't being obnoxious, they were cheering him on during his Bonus Spin.

In the case of Glenn, I found what he said to be funny ("Does he want to spin again?" after Joseph spun 1.00) and not smart-allecky in the least.

I know we're not supposed to real say anything too derogatory about the contestants themselves, but, I have to mention this because it really stood out for me.

In general, feel free to make comments about contestants, especially if you think they are out of line, but I don't think there is a need to call any contestant a "Diet Coke and Mentos bag" in many words for any reason whatsoever. It's also not necessary to start calling someone a phony either.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
It just reeks of phony - like the way reality show contestants are coached by producers to be more lively on camera.

Well, when you have a generation of people who grow up watching reality shows, I guess you shouldn't be surprised if you end up with a generation of people who accept the behavior they see on reality shows.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
Wasn't as good as yesterday, but it was all right.

What are the odds of Ashley wearing a t-shirt with the "Oh, mighty sound effects lady......." saying from OA and playing said game? Too bad she lost.

On ME, just because the TV looks big doesn't always mean it's expensive.

Did anyone find it funny that Jenette did that Xena-like battle cry when she started to drop the Plinko chips?

Joseph was today's "high"-light ($420 on the 1st bid........ :P).........But seriously, he did good on M# and won $11K on the wheel along with the Hyundai at the end! I thought, in Ashley's case, we might get another Car Loser/Boat Winner today, but it looks like it wasn't the case.

2/6 and some entertaining contestants..............Above-average but still enjoyable show today.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
One upping is the way the game is played. It is strategically the best thing to do when you don't know the exact price of something.

If you're the last bidder, yes.  If you're not the last bidder, then no.  It is strategically poor to $1-up someone if you're not the last bidder.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Nice wins on Side By Side and Magic # & a good haul on Plinko! :-)

What an exciting Bonus Spin in the second Showcase Showdown! :biggrin:  I thought for sure the Big Wheel was gonna go on to 80.

I sure feel bad for Ashley after what happened on One Away & in the Showcase.

Not too bad overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
If you're the last bidder, yes.  If you're not the last bidder, then no.  It is strategically poor to $1-up someone if you're not the last bidder.

To explain why...if it's ever correct for you to bid $1 more than someone, it's even more correct for the next person to bid $1 more than you.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »

To explain why...if it's ever correct for you to bid $1 more than someone, it's even more correct for the next person to bid $1 more than you.

Except, as long as it is not OB6, it is still correct strategy, even in 3rd position.

Here's my thinking behind it. If the last bidder doesn't 1-up you, you have a chance to win. Even if they DO 1-up you, if they win, you are golden. That's because you will automatically bid last at the next OB and should be able to win if you have a general idea of the items price.

I know this is higher level and LFAT thinking, but I still think it's the "right" thing to do. (Unless you know the price and can Exacta the IUFB of course. :P)

/That being said, if I was on the show in 1st or 2nd position, I would try to bid close or Exact if I knew. If I was 3rd or 4th I would give some space. $5 upping, anyone? :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz