Author Topic: September 16, 1983  (Read 4011 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
September 16, 1983
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: September 16, 1983
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:15:45 AM »
I know that this post is seven years old, but since this is due to being the second episode hopefully in the next lease from Pluto as well as with the video still being active, I'd like to make a few general observations about the early part of Season 12.

1. The premiere week of this season is to believed to have aired out of order compared to the next several weeks to air afterwards, and possibly airing right after the taping break and being taped just a week or two before air. Among these changes include a new interior Clam design (As seen with the first prize of Any Number), which replaced the orange/brown chevron design seen for most of the previous season. This old pattern returned for the next several weeks afterwards. Interestingly, this same interior pattern was also used again for a time in the late '80s.

2. This week's credits featured the first use of Fingers with her new (and in this week's case, formal) married name of Greco. The "Mrs. Frank J. Greco" would revert back to Kathy Greco shortly afterwards.

3. This week also launches the first of at least two known experimental uses of the wider-shot arrow graphic in the Showcase Showdown. After reverting back to the narrow arrow for the next few weeks due to taping order, it would return after the pre-taping break shows. It would revert back to the narrow arrow in mid-December. The wide arrow briefly returned again in early 1985 before reverting back again to the narrow arrow until the wide arrow shot permanently appeared in November 1986.

4. The song used in Showcase #2 was the instrumental portion of "Far From Over" from Frank Stallone. It had not yet peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 as of this airing (I myself have a few 1982 issues with a Goodson-Todman Productions address label on it BTW in my collection), coming in at #14 and on its way to #10 in early October.

It's interesting to note if the premiere week of Season 11 featured some of its changes from that season such as the Clam design for that season, the hexagonal Barker Wall, or new turntable patterns on the right side of home base since that could of very well aired out of order.

Also, I'm not sure if Squeeze Play is considered a non-car for a car game, although since they used the "Truck/Van" cue, it's possible that this could be considered the last ever car below $4000 (let alone $5000 and $6000) offered, even if its in a similar vein as a SmartCar. I'd rank it as a notch below a Yugo. But Scorpz currently doesn't have it marked as such.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:23:53 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:09:30 AM »
I'm not sure if Squeeze Play is considered a non-car for a car game, although since they used the "Truck/Van" cue, it's possible that this could be considered the last ever car below $4000 (let alone $5000 and $6000) offered [...] But Scorpz currently doesn't have it marked as such.
As both Johnny and Bob refer to it as a car (and Bob further refers to it as an automobile), I would say that it counts.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »
As both Johnny and Bob refer to it as a car (and Bob further refers to it as an automobile), I would say that it counts.

I know I'm coming in a bit late here, but since this is semi-relevant with the Pluto run passing this point, I'd lean toward not calling it a car.  I mean, it's 1983, and the thing is $3,000.  I'd classify it as something closer to the GEM Car from the late '90s and '00s.

Maybe something will change my mind about this later on, but for now, I'm not marking it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »
For what it's worth, it's official category is "microcar", while insurance at the time classified it as a three-wheeled motorcycle (and indeed the vehicle had a 50cc Honda motorbike engine)

Fun fact: Virtually any time that any random auto blog or publication writes about it, it's status as a featured prize during Price ca. 1983-84 inevitably gets mentioned.  Like, on the frequency of mentioning McDonalds if writing about the Big Mac.

The handful of videos I've seen of one in action, I would *fully* agree with the "three wheeled motorbike / motortrike" designation.  It's got an almost mini-boat like fiberglass cabin built around it designed to mimic a car, but that's basically the limit.

If that thing is a "car" then every golf cart, GEM EV, and motorcycle the show's ever offered is too.