Author Topic: Picking A New Host  (Read 5980 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Picking A New Host
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 12:41:47 AM »
Has Rich ever given any indication that he wants to be considered?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The moonlight carries the message of love
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 08:52:49 AM »

Gary Dunaier wrote:

Believe it or not, it was Bob who encouraged Rich to toss his hat into the ring, so I'd say yes.  There are a good many of us here who believe in him, that he would be a great fit in the host's role
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life /2011 CSS bronze medalist/Blitz Club

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »
Gary Dunaier wrote:

Yes.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
Gary Dunaier wrote:

Yes.

Forgive me - but this is the very first I have heard of this.  So I'm curious... where did we get this info from.  (I'm really not trying to be a smart alec - just genuinely curious.)

(Edited for grammar and punctuation - I really should have layed off that 4th martini before posting.) :)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »
I'm told it came up at a taping that one of our members attended.  I don't really know if more should be said, and I'm not the one who'd be in a position to say it, anyway.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
A thought came to me a few days ago. I know we all want to have a recent host to do the hosting, but what about someone who has not hosted a game show? I'm sure there have been plenty of people who never hosted a show in their career host at least one show before and some hosts were okay to me.

But what about someone who was never a host, but is very friendly to all ages and understands everything there is to know about the show? I'm sure some of us has dreamed that one of us could take over as host and would probably feel comfortable about it. But some of us would consider someone who has the experience.

Just a thought.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 11:48:20 PM »
thewhammy_2000 wrote:
I know we all want to have a recent host to do the hosting, but what about someone who has not hosted a game show?

The best person, whomever he (or she) is, should be the next host.  Lack of prior game show experience should not be a deal-breaker.

Remember, there was a time when even Bob Barker didn't have any experience!
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »

Gary Dunaier wrote:
Remember, there was a time when even Bob Barker didn't have any experience!

Sure there was.  But back then, it was in the radio days.

Barker had hosted a radio program that began locally, was heard by Ralph Edwards, and asked to host "Truth or Consequences."  In 1956, there were only three channels, so people who wanted to watch television didn't have as many options.

Hiring a host without legitimate experience in today's world, where new shows only get an episode or two before their fate is decided and where viewers sit with remote control in hand waiting to flip channels at the drop of a hat, could be considered quite foolish.

That's not to say that there isn't some unknown out there who couldn't step up and do the job; but it's unlikely.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline alumniseason35

• 9/19/06
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
That brings up the question of doing a rotation prior to selecting a new host (kind of like Rich/Craig F got picked for late late show).  This could allow for someone without host experience get a chance.  

Seems like there could be potential for this, as tapings for a season usually run through mid-late June, don't they?  This would allow for two-three weeks of seeing how proposed hosts would be received by the viewers/ratings, with the winner starting off season 36.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »
Gary Dunaier wrote:

Has anyone on the staff said this other than Bob?

Offline pleenko

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 09:03:46 PM »

CBSpromoman wrote:

Hiring a host without legitimate experience in today's world, where new shows only get an episode or two before their fate is decided and where viewers sit with remote control in hand waiting to flip channels at the drop of a hat, could be considered quite foolish.

That's not to say that there isn't some unknown out there who couldn't step up and do the job; but it's unlikely.

Good points. But what relevant experience did Howie Mandell have, or Bob Saget for that matter? Sure, both have stage/TV experience as stand-ups and actors; but beyond that, and considering their less-than-B-list status (to put it kindly), I think NBC took big gambles in hiring them. And yet there they are, adequetely (or better) hosting two hit shows that I think people watch based on the game, not the host.

That's not to say that putting an awful or overly green host in their positions wouldn't turn people off, but I do think there's room to give a newcomer with raw talent -- a la Bob in 1956 -- a prime emcee gig. "Price," of course, is a unique beast with its 70-plus games and other factors, but I think the right person for the job could be a total unknown who just really gets the show and the emcee-audience connection.

My point is if the powers that be never consider this casting option, we may be missing that nugget of gold out there that visionaries such as Ralph Edwards had the smarts to identify, hire and take a gamble on. And had that not happened, we may never have had 50 years of Bob!

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 02:01:36 PM »

My point is if the powers that be never consider this casting option, we may be missing that nugget of gold out there that visionaries such as Ralph Edwards had the smarts to identify, hire and take a gamble on. And had that not happened, we may never have had 50 years of Bob!

Bob like so many hosts were in radio before they became hosts.  I can think of several first time hosts who went on to long careers.  When Chuck Barris started producing, he hired two unknowns, what were their names.......oh yes, Jim Lange and Bob Eubanks.  Also, Eubanks was a music promoter and manager and was the one responsible for The Beatles first performance on the West Coast.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 04:10:37 PM »

pleenko wrote:

CBSpromoman wrote:

Good points. But what relevant experience did Howie Mandell have, or Bob Saget for that matter? Sure, both have stage/TV experience as stand-ups and actors; but beyond that, and considering their less-than-B-list status (to put it kindly), I think NBC took big gambles in hiring them. And yet there they are, adequetely (or better) hosting two hit shows that I think people watch based on the game, not the host.

I'd agree that they're doing at least a decent job and I'd agree that NBC took a gamble in placing two non-game-show hosts in the roles.

But there's a big difference:  the American audience had never seen those two shows before.  So the games were as new as the faces.  A host's awkwardness might get lost as viewers adjusted to the new game they were watching (and hopefully playing along with).

'Price' is a well-oiled machine.  An inexperienced host is not going to be able to hide how inexperienced he is because he will be the only thing that will have changed, so he'll be the only thing really under the microscope as fans adjust to 'Price' without Barker.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place