Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 164750 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
I'm actually pretty thrilled to see that. I've always had a soft spot for that version, but I've never been able to see it in such clear quality until now.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
Here's a second pilot for the 1985 revival of Concentration hosted by Orson Bean.  According to the info on the video, there were 10 pilots made for this revival. 

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
10 pilots? Huh, Goodson must really have believed in this one.

It's not bad. It's no Classic Concentration and Orson Bean is no Trebek, but it's certainly not a bad attempt at a revival, just a different one.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »
Based on when this was taped and all of the Family Feud sound effects, this may have been pitched to replace the Feud. The word associations a la Pyramid or Password adds a new dimension of challenge in addition to simple matchmaking, and it does allow room for regular prizes to be featured in the bonus round. It also allows more emphasis on the bonus round since although just some money can be won in the front game, the prizes (along with cash that outside of Wild Card matches or the Cash Pot wouldn't be used on CC) give the classic feel. Since it would be Concentration without a car, I'd make the seventh win for retiring champions award a car. The large number of pilots indicates later possible pitch for syndication/ABC and eventually NBC that is closer to Classic Concentration. However it seems like the earlier pilots for ABC didn't get picked up since it felt that with Feud being cancelled it felt more inclined to promote soaps and talk shows to their affiliates unlike NBC/CBS at the time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:24:04 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
This would be a good theory, were it not for the fact that NBC owns Concentration (having bought it from Barry-Enright in 1958, shortly into the original run) and licensed the format to Goodson-Todman. As such, NBC would very likely not approve another network airing their show.

One credit near the end ("Distributed by Victory Television, Inc.") indicates that this was for syndication, as if I am not mistaken Victory Television was previously known as Jim Victory, the company which distributed the Narz era.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
how they got away with that one matching pair around the 11 Minute mark is beyond me....

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
I think Orson Bean tried too hard to be funny.  A good host for this game has to find the balance between humor and seriousness, and Bean came off as grating here.  Also, matching words together is just being different for the sake of it, and doesn't scream Concentration.  The game means concentrating on the prizes' and take cards' locations, to match them up, bank them, as well as figuring out the rebus underneath.

The best thing about this pilot was the bonus game.  With some tweaking, it became the eight-car bonus round that worked very well on Classic Concentration.  Still, it was nice that contestants kept any prize they matched, and the $5,000 bonus was rewarded for matching all the pairs before time was up.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
This would be a good theory, were it not for the fact that NBC owns Concentration (having bought it from Barry-Enright in 1958, shortly into the original run) and licensed the format to Goodson-Todman. As such, NBC would very likely not approve another network airing their show.

One credit near the end ("Distributed by Victory Television, Inc.") indicates that this was for syndication, as if I am not mistaken Victory Television was previously known as Jim Victory, the company which distributed the Narz era.

Not to also mention, that the sound effects weren't used on Feud until the 1988 version with Ray Combs.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Here's the finale of the original Gambit from December 10th, 1976.

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
The Winker now needs 11 more likes to bring his likes to 5000. He promises something special when it's posted. He says he's not sure what it will be but it will "hit him". I still hope for the last High Rollers from 1976:)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
The Winker now needs 11 more likes to bring his likes to 5000. He promises something special when it's posted. He says he's not sure what it will be but it will "hit him". I still hope for the last High Rollers from 1976:)

It could be an episode of "Las Vegas Gambit".  I think he teased that at one time.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
It could be an episode of "Las Vegas Gambit".  I think he teased that at one time.

Hasn't at least some of Las Vegas Gambit been said to be lost? Or am I thinking of the Las Vegas season of Marshall's Hollywood Squares?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
Hasn't at least some of Las Vegas Gambit been said to be lost? Or am I thinking of the Las Vegas season of Marshall's Hollywood Squares?
For the record, lost ≠ wiped.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
Here is today's entry - an episode of Las Vegas Gambit!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
We first saw the opening of this two and a half years ago, but now here's the full fifth pilot of Match Game '90, hosted by Bert Convy.  It's a shame that Bert became ill and couldn't host this version, he would have been great.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."