Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/22/2014 (TPiR Season 43 Premiere)  (Read 20591 times)

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/22/2014 (TPiR Season 43 Premiere)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
I recorded it on my DVR, & my thoughts for the season premiere:

BARGAIN GAME- I figured it was the Nissan that was the bigger bargain.

FREEZE FRAME- I thought the trip was $9,000+. Guess I was wrong.

TIME IS MONEY- The new set looks impressive. Didn't quite hear some of the stuff Drew said because of some alert system check. Winning over $19,000 was good.

ONE WRONG PRICE- I thought it was the exercise machine that was wrong. Glad he won the game.

ANY NUMBER- Tough loss.

CLIFF HANGERS- Someone call 911 for poor Yodely Guy.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Kinda interesting that between when this vlog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5c8ihpXM0Y was done, and the game played in the premiere, the "Stop" button moved positions on the Product table.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
Random thoughts on today's premiere:

-Bargain Game for 2 cars goes under "good idea, poorly executed." The setup was pretty ambiguous; I would've liked to see it put a bit more in the contestant's favor--c'mon, Mike, would it really have killed the show 's budget that much to kick off the new season with an exciting big win?

-While it was wonderful to hear "Bean Stalker" again, the repeated opening chord in the remix is really strange and unnecessary. Edit the remix to cut that off and you've got one of the absolute best ways to announce a car on the show.

-The new Time Is Money is a win overall. I have only two minor quibbles. First, they ought to give the contestant a head start by allowing him/her to collect all the items in their arms before the 10 seconds begins. As today's contestant demonstrated, 10 seconds is only enough time for one guess even if you move fairly quickly. Second, while I really liked the "drums" that spun around to reveal the correct answer--felt old-school in a good way--could they find some way to reveal the ARPs of the items as well, just for completeness' sake?

-Cliff Hangers was really weird today. On the one hand, a standard 20-30-40 or 25-35-45 guess would've won easily, but the other hand, the SPs looked much cheaper than that--such that a contestant who doesn't know the game would have lost, as today's did.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 05:07:22 PM »
I see today's show as a good show that would have been a very show with a car win somewhere along the line. That sais.

Bargain Game: It was really fun to see Bargain Game played for 2 cars. I would have won this as the Nissan Versa was even a little less than I thought it would be and the Mazda 2 sport was about what I thought it would. I'd have loved to have seen it won but just having a non car game played for 2 cars was fun. Ipads are a great contestant's row prize to start things off as well.

Freeze Frame: This is never a particularly easy game. Trips to Paris are expensive but not 5 digit expensive. I would have lost by picking $7831.

Time is Money: This revamped game is totally awesome baby! The new green and silver set is a lot sharper, a lot better looking, and a lot more appropriate to the presentation of the Price is Right. I also love having another cash game. The 2nd part of the game, when needed, is like Bonkers but with the prize evaporating every nanosecond. Timed games work so much better in a guess, test, and revise format :) I will posted an updated review based on the new gameplay of Time is Money in the pricing game reviews section within the next few hours. I'm not sure yet what I consider a win or a loss in this game but today's contestant certainly made out well winning $19438.

One Wrong Price: This game doesn't belong on a season premiere show. I'm not complaining about seeing a win and the gaming laptop and motorscooter were decent prizes but this game is too dull to be season premiere appropriate.

Any Number: It was great to see this game today. It's ashamed the Jeep Compass wasn't won but I'll take seeing Any Number on a season premiere any day. FWIW I would have ended up with the cutlery. I would have missed on the Jeep by guessing the cutlery was in the $600 range and thus guessing 8 to end it based on the way my gameplay would have drawn out.

Cliffhangers: It's always nice to see this game but today's gameplay was dreadful. Not only did today's contestant not know the ascending order rule but there are also no single digit prizes in Cliffhangers. I could see underpricing the travel mug but Cliffhangers doesn't use single digit prizes. Too bad as those were some useful prizes.

Showcases: The Chevy Sonic showcase was the better showcase especially since the home theater was so nice as well and it's ashamed it wasn't won.

Set: The Time is Money set looks fantastic and the doors looked sharp. I'm pretty happy here.

Lineup: Very good but not great: Time is Money is going to be a favorite game of mine. Any Number is always fun and Cliffhangers is a great closer. Bargain Game is a good game that became great by being played for 2 cars. Freeze Frame is an okay game and it slots well 2nd.  But even with 3 favorites and a good game going great this lineup was very good and not great because One Wrong Price is 1 of the dullest games on the show and doesn't belong on a season premiere. Most Expensive would have been a far better choice in that slot. Overall though I really did enjoy the lineup.

Overall: With a great Time is Money segment with over $19000 won and a very good lineup this an enjoyable and good show, Another win, especially a car win, would have made this a very good show for me.  Season premieres aren't emphasized the way they once were and I don't have a big problem with that so this a good show for me especially since Price threw an 80 yard touchdown pass with the reintroduction of Time is Money.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
-The new Time Is Money is a win overall. I have only two minor quibbles. First, they ought to give the contestant a head start by allowing him/her to collect all the items in their arms before the 10 seconds begins. As today's contestant demonstrated, 10 seconds is only enough time for one guess even if you move fairly quickly.

Don't you only get 1 guess in the 10 seconds anyway? 

I really liked this game.  I remember the old one, though I do need to go back and see the old one to compare it with.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
Not a bad show today, in my opinion.

It's always fun to see a non-car game played for a car (or in today's case, two). And Time is Money is fantastic, in my opinion.

Incidentally, when was the last time they did not change the opening (graphics (border, logo)) from one season to the next? The opening looked exactly the same to me as last season.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
Another thing I loved about today's show: An Extended Playing of The Bean Stalker Remix ( longest so far since it was reintroduced )
I'm glad you noticed this TinoStar; I did as well. Though I prefer the original version, it was good to hear more of the remixed one.

I also liked the nods to the past: a clip of the very first showcase, and the playing of Any Number (the first pricing game played, whether or not an intentional nod).

The doors look great to me as well, and Drew mentioned that they were electric. I'm assuming then that they can be opened and closed remotely for the very first time in PIR history. Anyone know if that's indeed the case? Or are the lights the only electric part? Or am I just wrong in my assumption (I can take it)? :)

I like the new Time is Money. It seems rather easy to, at least, win an amount close to the $20K. I guess in general it would depend on the products and the price ranges. Will the ranges be the same for all future playings, at least this season?

Happy Season 43 everyone! :)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Despite all the losses, a much better premiere show this year.

The new doors look awesome in action, but I must say the home base wall does look a little out of place now with the silver border around the squares. If they are going to keep the square motif for next season, maybe it would be a good idea to redesign the wall to match the doors. I wouldn't mind seeing the wall use a different color motif as well (yellow, red, purple).

Bargain Game for two cars was a good idea, but could have been a little more contestant friendly to start the season. Also good to hear the Bean Stalker for the first main prize.

Time is Money is a fun game, much better than the previous incarnation. I do hope they add think music in the future, at least when the money counts down. It was a little too quiet for my liking.

Which day is the remodeled game airing again?

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
So I guess this reincarnation of Time Is Money is the first GP game in which none of the ARPs of the items are revealed?

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
Time is Money --    Much better than the first version of the game.     I thought the reveal was pretty neat / different too.

Bargain for 2 cars  -- much better way to start a show than Race Game for 4 cars.

Overall, pretty good show.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »
Well... here we go again!  Another September, another new season.

In the old days, they never would have tried Barker's Bargain Bar for two cars.  The old platforms wouldn't have supported the weight.  (I don't want to hear any wisearses say, "They could have used pictures of cars!"  Pictures of cars don't bring the same excitement as actual cars.)

I don't want to sound ageist, but I'm relieved that George didn't win his way on stage third.  Time Is Money II is probably not the best pricing game for a contestant... well, I'm not going to say "his age" because I have no idea how old he is.  So let's just say "over the age of 49".

This show had been sorely lacking a cash game with a time element, and Time Is Money II fulfills it perfectly.  Even though the debut of Time Is Money II wasn't technically a win, I'll accept a $19,000 "loss" any time.

Curtis made a couple of fatal mistakes in Cliff Hangers, not the least of which was breaking the cardinal rule of Cliff Hangers:  The small prizes will increase in price as the game progresses.

My showcase bids:
Car--$26,107
Greece--$21,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
In the old days, they never would have tried Barker's Bargain Bar for two cars.  The old platforms wouldn't have supported the weight.  (I don't want to hear any wisearses say, "They could have used pictures of cars!"  Pictures of cars don't bring the same excitement as actual cars.)

I don't see any difference in this and playing One Right Price for 2 cars, which has been done during Barker's era. Both games have 50/50 odds, and I thought the $13,300 price was the pretty obvious pick in this case.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Since a few people have mentioned it, ARPs are coming to Time is Money soon. I guess they didn't have them in the beginning, but they're on small cards in front of each item in the cylinders.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »
I thought they were trying to have Barker's Bargain Bar won, what with the cheaper price being the correct price.  The cheaper price being right almost always makes the game easier.

I'm not sure about Time Is Money yet.  Stopping after the first try feels weird if that's the only time the game stops.  Just having a "free" ten seconds to start before the money starts counting down might make the game flow better, but it also might make it too hard, but it feels strange having the game in two stages, so I'm not entirely sure what to think about it the game currently.

Time Is Money really should have been played second instead of third.  Would've kept the flow of the big season premiere going better, especially since the first game was a quickie.  No real need to start off with two quickies back to back.  And Freeze Frame is a pretty terrible choice for the season premiere.  Not sure why Push Over couldn't have worked itself in instead.

That was a relatively tough Cliff Hangers setup, too.  The utensils looked much cheaper than they were, and there was a good chance for a loss if the contestant didn't know the trick to the game.

Offline dad90

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
I think that this was a good show, especially with what they did to the doors, and the design to make it look more Bob-Barker-ish, and the revamped Time Is Money!  I was super-shocked at that.

And you call $19,438 as a loss?!  I call that a WIN!  Unless you're doing this like Plinko!

And to Frank15: Thank you for calling the Bargain Game as "Barker's Bargain Bar".  I still prefer that, too.