Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/6/2014  (Read 14638 times)

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/6/2014
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
THE BAD NEWS:

Do The Math: A lot of us, including myself, really got a little too eager when we saw the W/D and TV. Then we saw the price of $802. Perhaps next time we should be a little patient on that one. Tough break for Jerry, though.

Grand Game: Maybe the next time they decide to make a high target price like $11.00, they shouldn't put out some of the items like the oil and the detergent to make it too hard. At least Hannah won her SC..........Although her bid made it look like she was in the 80's or something. :p

Easy As 1-2-3: No comment. (SMH)

THE GOOD NEWS:

Cover-Up: I have to admit that was quite the strategy that Mildred did. I find it questionable that she thought that the Compass was $28K+.............But it looked like she was trying to get some freebies out of this. And it sure did paid off!

Pocket Change: Zackery got the biggest stroke of luck on that when he got the $.50 card. Shame Drew didn't do the "taxes and titles" line.

Coming Or Going: A piece of cake for Lewis!

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Great show with 2 awesome car game wins! I did liked the Jimmy Dean SC.........That was pretty unexpected. It was cool that "The Sun" (aka Haynes Brooke), a food mascot, did a good job on this like some guests.

Offline CheckGameMeBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Check Game: Woefully Misunderstood Since 1981
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
Do the Math: Tricky... But I opted to add.  Too bad about the loss.
Grand Game: Holy moly, that setup was evil.  Chalk up another who thought the detergent was safe. 
Cover Up: Smart playing here.  Just try to get only one right each time and get more chances.  It helped that Mildred got the last number on her second try.
1-2-3: Bummer about the misplacement of 1 and 2, but oh well.
Pocket Change: Wow! What an exciting finish! I wish Drew could build up the suspense like Bob did.
Coming or Going: Easy win for a great trip to the Palmetto State
Showcases: I would have been fine with either, but the Miata showcase was the better one. 

Good show today with the car wins and a CoG win as well.  I still can't get over how rotten the Grand Game setup was.  (Shakes head)
President, Return Rich Fields Campaign

Chairman, Buy or Sell Fan Club

HYO record: Coming or Going: 1-0.  Mystery Price: 0-1.  Squeeze Play: 1-0.  Flip Flop: 1-0.  Safe Crackers: 1-0, Buy or Sell: 1-0, 3 Strikes: 1-0, Card Game: 0-1, One Away: 1-0, Bonus Game: 1-0, Bump: 1-0, Switch?: 1-0, Double Prices, 1-0, Passcode: 0-1, Easy az 1,2,3: 1-0, Fabulous Showcases: 5-1. 

Total winnings: 1,548,521

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
This is the lowest possible amount of numbers that can remain on Cover Up's board, five.  A similar occurrence happened in the Spring of 1997, IIRC.  The contestant in that playing got only one of the digits right each turn and Bob pointed out late in the game that it was impossible to lose because she kept guaranteeing herself extra turns.

Your memory is amazing, goldy. A little research on a certain recap site helped me pinpoint a date of April 25, 1997 where this same exact thing did happen.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 06:06:36 PM »
I have to assume that this PC win was the first playing of PC for the season.

Offline drwhovill

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »
A couple of interesting notes.

First, I found it amusing that Mildred tried to take the card with the word on it, as opposed to the actual numbers.

For those who did not understand what was put on those cards: first was come on down, then Season 43, Price Is Right, Drew Carey, and last was Big Wheel.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
Your memory is amazing, goldy. A little research on a certain recap site helped me pinpoint a date of April 25, 1997 where this same exact thing did happen.

That playing was on YouTube a few years ago - Carlos might have posted it.  And yes, it was as amazing as you would expect.   :-)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Is $11.00 a record for highest Grand Game target in daytime?

This could be a season of miracle wins.  We had the one-penny Check-Out miracle on premiere week.  Now we have the miracle five-turn Cover Up win and the $1.75 Pocket Change win.

My showcase bids:
Trips--$18,707
Car--$33,707
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Do the Math: Tough setup because of how much variation exists in TV prices. And unlike other games you can't use the fact that washer/dryer sets are going to be between $2000 and $3000 in most cases to your advantage in this game because of the nature of the game. I would have won today but there's no doubt that the setup was tough. Too bad about the loss as both were fantastic prizes.

Grand Game: One of the toughest setups of the year. I don't know how I would have played it. Even before the GPs were revealed I was almost sure a loss was coming when the high target price was revealed. So far so bad but.....

Cover Up: Really interesting playing today. I've long thought Cover Up to be one of Drew's best games and today's rules explanation was perfect. Notice how Drew explained perfectly how the game works but without explicitly telling the contestant the strategy. That's the way it should be. And today's contestant played the game perfectly. No, it wasn't the most dramatic win we've ever seen but I'll take a quality playing of Cover Up any day of the week. Here's a contestant that knew what she was doing and wonderful to see the Jeep Compass won. That smartphone was a great contestants row prize too.

Easy AZ 1 2 3: Unfortunate it wasn't won. The handbags aren't my favorite prize but the pizza oven and motorscooter were nice. If this had Most Expensive this would have been an easy setup. For this game it was a tough setup.

Pocket Change: Today's contestant was the epitome of"it's better to lucky than good." Still it's always exciting when Pocket Change is won and it's more exciting in cases like today where some big cards were needed and found. That Nissan Sentra being won in that exciting fashion was totally awesome baby!

Coming or Going: Setup forced win of a nice Charleston trip.

Showcases: The Mazda Miata showcase was the better showcase and it's tragic that it wasn't won. The jimmy dean sun theme was pretty cool though.

Lineup: Very good: Cover Up and Pocket Change are two of our best car games, Do the Math is one of best two prize games, and Grand Game is one of Best GP games. And Easy AZ 1 2 3 is a fun game as well. Do the Math makes a fun lead off hitter too. Coming or Going is one of our dullest games and is an especially weak closer. I'd have replaced Coming or Going in this lineup with Side by Side. Coming or Going being a closer cost this lineup a "fantastic" rating.

Overall: Very good. Three wins, both car games won, a very good lineup, the very interesting way both car games played out, and a fun showcase presentation made this a very good show. A fourth win or the Mazda Miata showcase being won would have earned this show a "great" rating.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
Wait...I think there was still a possibility of a loss in Cover-Up, unless there is an error in the recap.

After the second picking, where the first and last digit were in place, and there was the 0 left in column 2, the 5 and 1 in column 3, and the 5, 8, and 6 in column 4...

It would be entirely possibly on the next turn to place the 0 correctly AND the 1 in the middle column correctly, get the fourth number wrong, still have two possible choices for the fourth number on the next turn, and then get it wrong again.

Am I missing something here?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Wait...I think there was still a possibility of a loss in Cover-Up, unless there is an error in the recap.

After the second picking, where the first and last digit were in place, and there was the 0 left in column 2, the 5 and 1 in column 3, and the 5, 8, and 6 in column 4...

It would be entirely possibly on the next turn to place the 0 correctly AND the 1 in the middle column correctly, get the fourth number wrong, still have two possible choices for the fourth number on the next turn, and then get it wrong again.

Am I missing something here?

It's not truly an error, but I also don't have a place to put it otherwise.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »
Applauded from my seat here at the ends of both Cover Up and Pocket Change. :)   Like Drew, I knew at the same point he did that the contestant was going to win the auto.  What great wins!

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 02:35:36 AM »
This is the lowest possible amount of numbers that can remain on Cover Up's board, five.  A similar occurrence happened in the Spring of 1997, IIRC.  The contestant in that playing got only one of the digits right each turn and Bob pointed out late in the game that it was impossible to lose because she kept guaranteeing herself extra turns.

I remember that playing from 1997, too.  In fact, it was on YouTube up until just a few months ago.

-JBK

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
Any know what the highest price for the car in Pocket Change with a WIN without pulling the $2 card is?

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Scorpz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Is $11.00 a record for highest Grand Game target in daytime?

Nope. The target was $13.00 on May 18, 2009.

Anyone know what the highest price for the car in Pocket Change with a WIN without pulling the $2 card is?

It is now $1.75. Prior to Monday, it was $1.25 (December 16, 2013, among other playings.)

Clearly both Cover Up and Pocket Change were very impressive wins.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 02:46:41 AM »
Cover Up and Pocket ¢hange were both pretty amazing.  I particularly liked the way Drew handled the end of Cover Up -- there really was no other sensible way to go about it. :)

Speaking of Cover Up, I still wish they'd go back to having a wrong price, but I have to admit the word puzzles on this show were pretty neat.

Still speaking of Cover Up, I never knew before today that the slots for the wrong price are clear instead of red. :)

DtM: Easy at least to some of you (including yours truly) only.

What in the hell does this combination of words even mean?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.