Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/28/2015  (Read 12053 times)

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/28/2015
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
You act like this is the first time someone has had a problem with the posting style of someone. It's not. It's not suddenly singling someone else. It's having a problem with someone and saying so. If we're going to sit here and not state that we have a problem with someone then we aren't going to get anywhere. There is going to be no conversation because at that point, we might as well say that everyone is right and no one is wrong for fear of seeming to needlessly pick on someone. Yeah, people can go overboard when they disagree with someone, and that is something that needs to be monitored as well, but it's just as important as agreeing with someone.

Also, just because you don't add to the discussion doesn't mean you're detracting from it. I think there is certainly a middle ground. And what I said could apply to the other cliches you mentioned. Why was it a nice win to you? Why should they have bailed in your eyes? There doesn't need to be an explanation every time, there are 190 or so shows. To say something meaningful about every one of them would be quite a task. I completely understand that, but for me, it'd be nice to get a little insight sometimes. And I'm not saying that no one gives insight ever. People do. That's just my opinion in what I, myself, would like to see.

I agree with not removing the parts of the posts. I don't like censoring all that much depending on the instance. Also, I hate the "ignore" feature as the end all, be all solution to people's problems. I'm sorry if you can't handle what another person is posting, but sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la" doesn't solve anything and potentially deprives you from a wide array of opinions, no matter how disagreeable. I'm not calling you or anyone out, I'm just stating my thoughts on it.

It just seemed like Swingbatta was unjustly judging the showcases. DJTorgo, Prizes and others disagreed with his opinion and that's just within their right as it is for Swingbatta to say "Superior Showcase". That said, I agree, that he shouldn't be stopped from saying it. If you disagree with his opinion say so, don't erase it.

Well said.

It does seem like the same people post the same kind of comments in EVERY recap thread.  It has gotten to the point where I skip 90% of the posts in these threads because the comments become interchangable. 

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
It just seemed like Swingbatta was unjustly judging the showcases.
Same for moneygamelover. He always considers all car Showcases the better Showcase (no matter what car it includes), even though not all cars are good.

As to your statement, I couldn't have said it better.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:32:23 PM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
Same for moneygamelover. He always considers all car Showcases the better Showcase (no matter what car it includes), even though not all cars are good.
And like I said above, this is not the first time someone has had a problem with another's posting. I only mentioned your name because the original problem began when someone had a problem with something you said.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »
It does seem like the same people post the same kind of comments in EVERY recap thread.  It has gotten to the point where I skip 90% of the posts in these threads because the comments become [interchangeable].

Oh, God, so much this.  Honestly, if people are going out of their way to comment on every single pricing game, I don't even bother reading the post.  I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have something interesting to say about every last segment of an episode; heaven knows I usually don't.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
It does seem like the same people post the same kind of comments in EVERY recap thread.  It has gotten to the point where I skip 90% of the posts in these threads because the comments become interchangeable.

Sig'd.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
Showcases: Much as I loved seeing that sailboat, hybrid cars, such as the Toyota Prius, trump all! That Showcase is the far superior.

Adam, I need to call this edit/redaction out, and publicly. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY said he couldn't post it. Torgo and I merely disagreed with posting it, and at least in my case because I wanted more detail as to why, since too often explanations are too uncommon these days, not because it was inappropriate. You're moderating to the loudest screamers, rather than your own style.

This is a rather fricking slippery slope is what you're doing here. By doing so, you're letting mob rule. You're letting this become Lord of the Flies. It gives members powers that we, as moderators are entrusted with. And for that reason, you are crossing the line, and not moderating the section with your own abilities. Censoring that is only a detriment to the site. It's one thing to tell him to improve, it's another to censor it. Give me one damn reason that it needed to be edited.

Don't let this side of you, which goes for EVERYONE. Sometimes, you just have to ignore. It's not the ideal situation, I admit that. But it's the best of what there is, if really need be, USE IT! Simple. Don't be petty Adam, moderate with your own style.

However, it should be said that swingbatta isn't absolved of ALL blame here, because the point remains, Superior Showcase as a concept is still foolish. As is much of moneygamelover's stuff, and hell, to be blunt, 90% of the recap responses fall under this too. Goes back to my signature; and thank you SS for a wonderful quote, put some extra effort into your post, or as JJ said, and I agree with him, explanation. However, foolish as it may be, these opinions, like swingbatta's, aren't harmful opinions. We don't have a right to remove it (them) on those grounds.

Christ, we need more admins/admin powers here. This site used to be all about this crappy bickering back and forth. That is NOT happening again. I want everyone to understand that. cu, Steve, myself, and the other moderators have worked REALLY hard to get this site back. You and will do better, or there will be consequences to this crap, all around. This isn't even directed to a particular user.

~Cross posted to 2/2/15's recap.~
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:14:51 PM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Shoot, first the Pocket Change comment regarding today's show and now I spell interchangeable wrong.  Not one of my better posting days.    :oldlol:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:05:14 PM by SuperSweeper »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
GREAT WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

You act like this is the first time someone has had a problem with the posting style of someone. It's not.

I never said that.

It's not suddenly singling someone else. It's having a problem with someone and saying so. If we're going to sit here and not state that we have a problem with someone then we aren't going to get anywhere. There is going to be no conversation because at that point, we might as well say that everyone is right and no one is wrong for fear of seeming to needlessly pick on someone. Yeah, people can go overboard when they disagree with someone, and that is something that needs to be monitored as well, but it's just as important as agreeing with someone.

What good comes from sitting and stating you have a problem with someone in a recap thread? All it does is derail said thread to personal attacks and cause unnecessary petty drama. No "conversation" has to be had just because some people don't like the words "superior Showcase", and even if said conversation needed to be had why not just PM the user?

Also, I hate the "ignore" feature as the end all, be all solution to people's problems. I'm sorry if you can't handle what another person is posting, but sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la" doesn't solve anything and potentially deprives you from a wide array of opinions, no matter how disagreeable. I'm not calling you or anyone out, I'm just stating my thoughts on it.

I have similar thoughts myself and have 0 active users on my ignore list. I simply mentioned it as a way for people who have such negativity towards others or their posts to not see them anymore.

It does seem like the same people post the same kind of comments in EVERY recap thread.  It has gotten to the point where I skip 90% of the posts in these threads because the comments become interchangable.

Hence why I stopped reading recap threads for a while. It's almost always the same thing every single day. The same 3-4 users (who shall not be named because I'm not trying to call anyone out) write the same post every single day with predictability to the nth degree. It's almost like there's a template - all that's needed is to fill in the current pricing games. And, a high percentage of the time one user (codenamed "X") specifically almost always corrects another certain specific user (codenamed "Y") about their daily post. Another user (codenamed "Z") will usually determine an episodes goodness by what games were won and what were lost, usually ignoring anything else about the episode like hosting, contestants, etc. It's all a cycle, but I've pretty much grown to being used to it by now.

Hence, my earlier post where I said it's not really fair to single one user out when it's clearly multiple users with the same copy/pasted templates day after day without a high level of originality - but I didn't see it as my place to say anything. I don't really think it's fair to silence one but not silence all, and I don't really know if it's fair to stop everyone from commenting unless they have some (arbitrary) percentage of value to add to it. Who is to say what is of value and what isn't? It's hard to make guidelines like that and harder to enforce them.

This isn't totally related to anything I just wrote, but I mean, at this point it seems like a lot of people on this site think lower of others. I guess it is human nature for everyone to think they're better than everyone else - that's a granted, but... it seems like there are people who think others are complete fools and call them out on it (I'm no hypocrite, I used to be similar), and it seems like there needs to be a point where people just stop caring. Like, who cares that someone made a topic and asked a dumb question. Who cares that someone replied with an answer that was incorrect. Do we really need to go to the point where correcting or answering someone becomes an attack on someone and calling that person names? I've even seen some of the Moderators here give personal attacks as replies or locks, all to - what? Make the poster feel stupid? What does that gain. I know it's fun to joke around sometimes and I know what being a smart aleck is like but there is a time for that and a time to be mature. It just seems like a lot of the time it's easier and quicker and nicer to just answer someones question or point out their mistake without adding a line insinuating how stupid they must be to say it in the first place.

TL;DR - This is nothing new, recaps have been this way for a lonnnng time. Let's just get over it and play nice, huh?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 10:35:17 PM »
GREAT WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

I never said that.
I'll just avoid another wall and just quote this. I know you didn't say it, but you made it seem as if the singling out of Swingbatta was the only instance and it wasn't and isn't. Sorry if I misread that.

While conversating about someone's posting style doesn't add to the chat about that particular show, it does add to improving the recap threads. Yeah, it might be a lost cause, but I think it's nice to try. Yeah, the site has a 95% tendency to let that devolve into flames, but I still think it's worth a shot. I'm naive, I know.

I understand the ignore feature is an option, I just don't want it to be overused. Glad to hear you have similar thoughts.

I feel like that if we and more importantly, the mods, don't correct some people it leads to a slippery slope of declining site quality. Again, that has its downside when people don't know when to do so, but I think it is important to care at some points.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
What Adam did, and Prizes' response to it, somewhat reminded me of Joe Capitano when his name would be spotted in various replies to his recaps for, from what I have been able to tell, no true reason other than to remove comments he himself did not like.

I feel like that if we and more importantly, the mods, don't correct some people it leads to a slippery slope of declining site quality. Again, that has its downside when people don't know when to do so, but I think it is important to care at some points.
Indeed. We have been rebounding for the past two-plus years from the slippery slope that led to DarkShockBro calling the entire site out, and we most certainly do not need to go down that road again.

We may disagree with each other, certainly, but we as individuals do still need to respect the opinions that others have.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:00:05 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
Indeed. We have been rebounding for the past two years from the slippery slope that led to DarkShockBro calling the entire site out nearly two years ago. We may disagree with each other, certainly, but we as individuals do still need to respect the opinions that others have.

Also...what Adam did, and Prizes' response to it, somewhat reminded me of Joe Capitano when his name would be spotted in various replies to his recaps.

I've already admitted what I've done was wrong. I even admitted off site that yes, it sounds like a Joe C move, which was wrong on my part and everyone knows I'm trying to not go that route. I misinterpreted what Torgo and Prizes meant on the post and I did a wrong here. I offered that maybe if we switch up the English a bit it might be a bit easier.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »
You do not need to repeat yourself, sir, as I saw your posts in the other recap thread. :-) I merely wished to state my thoughts on the general site issues discussed in the posts during both threads.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:03:07 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
The 8,146th episode (84th for Season 43)

Showcase #1
  • Earrings:  $2,000
  • Trip to Phuket:  $10,189
  • West Wight Potter:  $15,495
My bid:  $36,783 (OVER)

Showcase #2
  • Trip to San Diego:  $673
  • Ducati Motorcycle:  $10,295
  • Trip to Granada, Spain:  $11,029
My bid:  $23,724 (OVER)

Modeling Totals:  January 28, 2015
Amber Lancaster
Total:  14/$76,377.00 (10/$42,128.00, 4/$34,249.00)
Cars:  1/$22,135.00 (1/$22,135.00, 0/$0.00)
Trips:  4/$26,803.00 (2/$15,101.00, 2/$11,702.00)
Cash Prizes:  1/$16,000.00 (0/$0.00, 1/$16,000.00)

Melissa Ordway
Total:  11/$79,390.00 (8/$34,744.00, 3/$44,646.00)
Cars:  1/$18,351.00 (0/$0.00, 1/$18,351.00)
Trips:  1/$6,688.00 (1/$6,688.00, 0/$0.00)

All Prizes
Total:  24/$140,516.00 (18/$77,621.00, 6/$62,895.00)
Cars:  2/$40,486.00 (1/$22,135.00, 1/$18,351.00)
Trips:  5/$33,491.00 (3/$21,789.00, 2/$11,702.00)

Season to date
Amber Lancaster (28 shows)
Total:  313/$2,059,058.00 (200/$1,060,710.00, 113/$998,348.00)
Cars:  47/$1,047,782.00 (21/$460,408.00, 26/$587,374.00)
Trips:  40/$368,639.00 (24/$225,520.00, 16/$143,119.00)
Cash Prizes:  5/$89,000.00 (0/$6,100.00, 5/$82,900.00)

Melissa Ordway (9 shows)
Total:  103/$733,021.00 (67/$349,756.00, 36/$383,265.00)
Cars:  13/$279,346.00 (4/$81,098.00, 9/$198,248.00)
Trips:  13/$95,468.00 (7/$46,616.00, 6/$48,852.00)
Cash Prizes:  3/$166,000.00 (1/$100,000.00, 2/$66,000.00)

All Prizes (84 shows)
Total:  2,204/$15,048,541.73 (1,363/$5,926,871.66, 841/$9,121,670.07)
Cars:  259/$5,804,187.00 (88/$1,918,749.00, 171/$3,885,438.00)
Trips:  281/$2,307,138.00 (162/$1,351,730.00, 119/$955,408.00)
Cash Prizes:  81/$3,267,736.00 (14/$471,253.00, 67/$2,796,483.00)

Career to date
Amber Lancaster (647 shows)
Total:  5,461/$33,714,211.50 (3,422/$14,491,717.50, 2,039/$19,222,494.00)
Cars:  696/$15,091,575.00 (232/$4,961,987.00, 464/$10,129,588.00)
Trips:  703/$5,570,935.00 (371/$2,919,333.00, 332/$2,651,602.00)
Cash Prizes:  119/$1,831,787.00 (21/$226,454.00, 98/$1,605,333.00)

Melissa Ordway (25 shows)
Total:  260/$1,771,941.00 (163/$874,562.00, 97/$897,379.00)
Cars:  35/$775,494.00 (12/$322,047.00, 23/$453,447.00)
Trips:  36/$279,462.00 (16/$120,603.00, 20/$158,859.00)
Cash Prizes:  7/$211,942.00 (3/$111,942.00, 4/$100,000.00)

My viewing to date (2,629 shows)
Total:  68,584/$380,632,504.07 (42,625/$164,162,149.31, 25,959/$216,470,354.76)
Cars:  7,512/$162,014,401.00 (2,874/$60,511,611.00, 4,638/$101,502,790.00)
Trips:  5,862/$42,095,361.00 (3,062/$21,963,691.00, 2,800/$20,131,670.00)
Cash Prizes:  2,032/$45,941,089.00 (414/$7,508,538.00, 1,618/$38,432,551.00)