Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2015 (TPiR Season 43 April Fools Day Special)  (Read 20279 times)

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2015 (TPiR Season 43 April Fools Day Special)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
Having Bob back for April Fools was spectacular! I didn't get to see Bob's appearance in the first segment, but based on what the people are saying here, it looks like he hosted the game just like he did pre-Drew. Major props to the show for letting him do that.

This is also the second April Fools show in a row where 5/6 games were won! Talk about coincidence.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline Charizard632

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Seeing Bob Barker return was awesome! He was a big part of my childhood. I would have guessed that the showcase with the two cars was worth at least $60,000, especially since that second car was a Cadillac!

Also, seeing wins for both Lucky Seven and Grand Game are awesome, as we almost had a perfect show! But at least that laptop is something useful.

Online Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
I've only seen the show through Lucky $even, but wow, is there so much that can be said just to that point.

First, I've had Bob hosting L7 as my avatar for the past week, for those of you who never caught that :P

My oh my, where to begin...

I was already aware of Bob hosting Lucky $even thanks to Kyle's (actually Roger Dob's) spoiler, so I fully expected him to take Drew's place by walking through the doors in the intro and hosting the first item up for bids. The nostalgic part of me really hoped to hear the original versions of "Walking" and the main theme, but it was no surprise that the '07 versions were played instead. A bummer, but it didn't make the idea of Bob being present any less special.

With Bob's intro, the only gripe I have is that they used Drew's "Hey, Gwendolyn is here, and everyone say hello to George Gray" version, with the camera focused on Bob as he slowly made his way to Gwen to receive the microphone. Huge directing fail there. That intro sequence works well for Drew, but it doesn't work for Bob. He's 91, for crying out loud. The whole thing was just so out of place. It would have made much more sense to have had the camera slowly zoom in on Bob as he walked through the doors, cut to a camera from behind pointed at the lights and pan down as he accepted the mic from Gwen, and then cut to him standing in  front of the turntable. That was Bob's intro, and even with the star wipes removed, it still would have looked much more presentable and wouldn't have brought out Bob's age and feebleness nearly as much.

Despite that, man, did nostalgia hit me hard. Even with the crap cue for the IUFB and Bob's somewhat slower and ever-so-slightly slurred speech, just for a moment, I felt like I was watching the show I grew up watching again. There he was, the man who hosted my favorite game show until he retired when I was 13, standing there in his old spot on the stage, asking the first four contestants for their bids. I was truly lost in the moment.

And then Mary wins and comes up on stage. Bob was noticeably out of practice, but he was still able to interact with Mary in a way that Drew simply can't. His reaction to Mary wanting to play Pay the Rent for $100,000 was so...Bob. I couldn't believe it.

I wanted her to win Lucky $even so much, and all I could hope for was an easy setup so we could see a great playing, and that's what we got. Throughout the game, I could see that spark in Bob reignite. His speech became faster. His voice became full of excitement. And his hosting of the game returned to the way I remembered - not slow and seemingly forgetful of the rules, but quick-witted and excited. Mary's win brought out every great memory I have of Bob hosting, and again, the nostalgic aspect was indescribable.

I absolutely loved Bob referring to Drew as "the Star of The Price is Right." I'm not sure if that was meant as a jab at the show for no longer introducing him with that title or just a reference to a simpler time, but it was great to hear that line again, and especially by the former host.

I'm sure I'll have much more to say once I watch the rest of the show this evening, but wow, was the first 8 or so minutes incredible, at least to me.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
Bob definitely is slower physically due to getting older, but mentally he's just as sharp as he was back in 2007.  If Bob stays in good health, I'm sure he'll be back in some capacity within a few years.

Offline pitlover

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
I teared up when Bob came out. Enough said.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
It's a shame that Bob's appearance was the worst-kept secret ever, but to the unsuspecting, it definitely would have qualified as the best April Fool's gag of all time.

No arguing, though, either Range Game or Grand Game should have been the game Bob hosted.  What I wouldn't have given to hear the "37 hours" joke or see a tease-final-Grand-Game reveal one more time.

At least we did get to hear, "item up for bids." :oldlol:
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline pocketchange50

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
Bob's walk isn't as spry as it use to be, and he doesn't quite stand as straight; but he can still get the job done.  :-)

Agreed. But he did seem pretty sharp with Ms. "Pay the Rent" lol

Also, does the GD reference really need to made for Lucky 7? Hardly religious, but it looks a bit unprofessional.

Go figure, Any number shoots down a perfect show!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
Once again, Bob Barker gives a masterclass in how to host The Price Is Right. This is how you interact with players, Drew, rather than reacting to them.

(I somewhat expected Bob to go straight into asking George for another contestant, actually.)
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Keep in mind, in terms of Bob's entrance, it's a different director. While Adam could've reverted back to the camera blocking used in Bob's reign, that might've required some rehearsal with Bob, and they obviously didn't want to wear Bob out.

I will echo that watching Bob was much like it always was, and that he didn't rush right to "here is the first item up for bids" ... he had a bit that he did, and it was good to see that again. I liked how he picked up that he almost forgot to tell the players that "the closest to the ARP without going over will win", and joked "but you ALL knew that didn't you?"

Bob's build up to Lucky 7 was classic... I thought for a moment Mary said "I want to win $100,000 playing Plinko", and Bob's "Jack Benny-like" reaction proved that he still has it. The Showcases... well, Bob's involvement was minimal that time, but at least Drew let him do the plug by himself and Bob also stuck around for the end.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »
I think they should have teamed up with Kleenex and Visine for a sample pack promo in the weekend papers, because it took me a few minutes. ..actually first half hour to get back to seeing straight.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
I loved how they showed the first Grand Game winner Pauline on the television in Switch?

Also I'll probably be chastised for this, but why do seemingly a lot of people prefer "Item up for bids..." over "Prize"? I've always liked how "prize" sounds, because in my mind, playing for a "prize" sounds more extravagant than playing for an "item." When I think of item, I think of, say, a thimble, whereas with a prize, I think of something like a laptop. Just my thought.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Also I'll probably be chastised for this, but why do seemingly a lot of people prefer "Item up for bids..." over "Prize"? I've always liked how "prize" sounds, because in my mind, playing for a "prize" sounds more extravagant than playing for an "item." When I think of item, I think of, say, a thimble, whereas with a prize, I think of something like a laptop. Just my thought.
The phrase "item up for bids" was used for decades, for one thing.

I intentionally avoided reading anything on this site about Bob's return besides the headline of the thread. I wanted to be surprised as much as possible. It was great to see him again. I too noticed the signs of aging, but it happens to all of us. I'm glad he's still around, getting around, and mentally sharp.

Did you see him reach for the microphone cord before taking a bow like he did for so many years? I wish they had given him his corded mic, but perhaps it just can't be used anymore with the current technology.

(Just thought of something: having the corded mic ready might have spoiled the surprise for the audience. :)

Quite the good show overall, including the L7 win and the 95 cent triple tie, but today I'll focus just on the return of the best.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:10:57 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
Two more things I wanted to mention: I noticed how Bob's voice got stronger as he went along, and to see Lucky $even hosted "the Bob way" by Bob himself was awesome.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
WOW, is all I can say.  Just...WOW!

The only thing I wish was if George would've said "BOB BARKER!" instead of "Drew Carey!"  Despite the fact that Bob was a little slow coming through the doors, and forgot to say "Welcome to The Price is Right!", it felt like Bob had never left.  The mild banter between Bob and the studio...I loved it!

The entire Lucky $even segment was so perfect, it felt like I was a little kid again, watching Price in the '90s.  Bob just has a style of interaction that comes off as so natural; none of this scripted "Where are you from / What are you doing?".

"What do you want to win?"
"Uh, $100,000!?"
"Why don't you go back down and bid again?"

I have not heard that kind of humor since 2007.  And it flows so well.  Bob hasn't lost his touch one bit.

And I noticed Bob introduced Drew as the "star" of The Price is Right, and not the "host."  Shows you Bob has class as well.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
Bob Barker is old, slow-moving, not as fast with his speech as he used to be, and looks ancient. But my word this man can still host. I was amazed. Sitting in awe as I watched this 91 year old slowly trudge his way from Door 2 to front stage (a walk he used to run 43 years ago) and begin hosting like he never left. He still has his wits and while he doesn't speak as fast, he can still speak with a good amount of speed.

Audience reaction was amazing. Just amazing. It was clear that they didn't tell the audience about his appearance.

What can I say about this first segment? If you want to talk about everything going perfectly? This was it. Bob gets a chance to banter with a contestant and of all the things for the contestant to ask for other than car is the chance to play Rent for $100,000. That was gold. Pure gold. Then Bob in that time, figures out something to do, and plays things like the classic emcee he is. Then, we get another easy L7 setup. They're few and far between, but there seems to be more this season. Bob explains it well. Hosts it great. It was just wonderful. Then the Price host in him makes it a point for him to collect the dollar for the car from her even while she's in the midst of celebrating. Just unbelievable.

Look at Bob reminding Drew of how to introduce a game. For one of the few times in George's announcing tenure he had to seed control to Bob. He was left with only 4 words to say. "It's a new SUV".

Man, I know you had to compensate for Bob, but wow. What a short lineup. Not a bad one either. Shame Any Number had to cost the perfection. They probably should've gone with an easier to price car than the Spark. Some people might not expect it to be that cheap.

What a showcase. Reminds me of 1981 when, after they mounted a fake SC, they just said "F*** it." and gave the lady two cars. It's a shame she pretty much cost herself any chance at those cars by not going for it.

Great, AFD joke. Just great. They did this one well. I don't care if it were only for the first segment, it was still great, great fun.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.