Author Topic: Test: New Features  (Read 41625 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Test: New Features
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
I actually don't have a problem with the current font per se- it could just benefit from being made a smidge larger, and the kerning tweaked a bit. Not all of us are on super high-resolution monitors.

That, and the fonts on the front page are incredibly disjointed with about five different styles in use.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
I like this look better than the old one.  Somehow it's brighter yet it's not.  Well done.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
I like the new organization of the recaps, but I have a suggestion:

This would take some time to create, but can we get child boards for every season of the Barker era prior to Season 34? It would make finding the recaps users have made much easier than it is now.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
I like the new organization of the recaps, but I have a suggestion:

This would take some time to create, but can we get child boards for every season of the Barker era prior to Season 34? It would make finding the recaps users have made much easier than it is now.

Putting this near the top of the to-do list. Thanks!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
I really don't like this new thing with a zillion child boards everywhere. I shouldn't have to click 20 times just to look at the day's CSS results or something. It's equally pointless when you click on one main board just to have three child boards and nothing else...

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything here, because the site was in desperate need of a makeover, but some of these changes just make no sense to me whatsoever...

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »

Literally one click from the main forum index. 

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
I don't mind the new font so much, so long as there is consistency, and kerning is less an issue, as should be our priorities, of function over form (forum?), to re-create an effective site business model.

The colors, you know my thoughts on these Chelsea, I think they're awesome; a great mix of kind of an 80s look, while adding some modern eye capture glam. Excellent work.

As for the plugins...I'm in the middle. Yes, they're cool, but they seem to take up an incredible amount of valuable real estate on my screen, and it seems that there's a lot of room for potential abuse with them. Maybe that's just the moderator in me talking, though. :)

Plug-ins are generally great for a site, and I'm glad to see this, as it helps connect with a metaphorical outside world. However, as CU states, they have abuse potentially, badly, for people who think XYZ is huge news, when it really isn't, or already has a topic of its own. These will require a heavy eye, and perhaps a limit of how many can be placed in a post, as a function of a rule, just to ensure that this does not happen.

Co-sign that they seem a bit big; Drew's photo from Peru is slightly longer than the length of my 15" screen.

In conclusion, yeah, this is really good, but it also requires a bit of oversight that I hope all of us, as staff of this page can bring on a daily basis. While I liked the old theme, change can be good, and often welcomed and needed. With every action, there is a reaction. Let's do our share, and perhaps this, among other steps such as the Facebook page, will be seen as those that brought Golden-Road into the 2010s.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Just resolved it!  The FB and instagram photos are resizable by specifying the height and width of an image, in pixels

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
I quite like the new color scheme. The fonts are also fine, as well. :-)
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
I quite like the new color scheme. The fonts are also fine, as well. :-)

;D

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »
Putting this near the top of the to-do list. Thanks!

Cool! :D

With regard to the currently locked discussion between cu, Jess and Chelsea, I like the idea of merging certain topics into other areas, such as international versions and taping meet-ups that don't necessarily need their own specific place on the home page. However, the home page shouldn't be too devoid of topics -- to some degree, having a wide array of topics on display, front and center, gives the site character. It shows visitors and potential members that there is a lot going on around here. Yes, child boards that are hidden within the 'main' child boards can still be seen from the home page, but I think for CSS, HYO and FPG especially, they should be a bit more visible. Also, I'm highly against "Pricing Game Reviews" now being merged in with The Talk is Right. It's not something that necessarily has to be on the home page, but I think it still deserves its own child board within TTIR, as the individual reviews are ongoing topics, and if a new member wants to post their own opinions: a) I don't want a slew of new reviews to take precedence over general discussions and b) members shouldn't have to dig for the proper thread and/or create a new thread for their reviews.

All in all, the majority of the changes made today are for the better, but some adjustments are needed. Once they are fulfilled, I believe we'll have a much nicer and well-organized site for all to enjoy in the months and years to come!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
I should clarify my statement on the fonts: while I do not particularly mind the new sizing on the front end, when composing posts I preferred the former font size, and hence have opted to zoom out slightly in my browser (from the default 100% to 90%).

Perhaps a font size shakeup is needed to keep things fresh, but it does make things a bit large, yes.

Yes, child boards that are hidden within the 'main' child boards can still be seen from the home page, but I think for CSS, HYO and FPG especially, they should be a bit more visible.
Agreed. As it is, they are somewhat "hidden away" (for lack of a better term at this time of the morning), and this is a bit odd given that CSS and FPG are essentially the signature games of the site.

I'm highly against "Pricing Game Reviews" now being merged in with The Talk is Right.
Precisely, for the reasons he stated. I do not mind less clutter, but the Pricing Game Reviews section never truly was a bother to me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:47:26 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »
The color scheme is fine. The font, however, is not. On my screen, it's very squished, even at my default 125% zoom level. Some bits of text are mostly fine, but others are almost unreadable (such as most of the header links and such). I much prefer the older font to this one.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
I don't know if this comment falls under features, but how does Out In Left Field fall into "You're the Star!" when many of the threads created by the original poster are about other people?
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »
I see we've reverted back to the old fonts...but now they're even more disjointed than ever (and way too large)...