Author Topic: Non-Readout Day in Chat, Part Two: 11/9/15  (Read 27869 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Non-Readout Day in Chat, Part Two: 11/9/15
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:51:37 AM »
It's coming back! This time with no FPG to distract folks, it's time to really buckle down and discuss the show. By admin Chelsea's request of day/availability, who is expected to be in the chat that day. Hope you can enjoy the day as much as I do! :)

As suggested, this needed some more advance notice for a number of reasons, namely the recap, compared to Friday's effort, so here said notice is.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: Non-Readout Day in Chat, Part Two: 11/9/15
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »
This is only an experiment, and only for one show. You will be okay. It also means this is final. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Complaining will get you literally nowhere, because it will be back to the modern chat as of Monday.

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
 8-O
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:05:11 AM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »
As recently as 2014 I relied on the readouts in the chat room to follow along with the show when I used an unreliable feed to watch the show. Streams cut in and out, shut down due to cease-and-desist letters, and consistently run anywhere between 10 seconds and over a minute behind the standard television broadcast of the show. When a readout occurred, this allowed someone to play along from home by understanding what prizes the show offered, and it generated discussion by having a "hard copy" of the game/setup to refer back to once it aired for those without a DVR or other recording device.

As the primary reader this season in the chat, it helps me tremendously to save a chat log and just write down everything I reported before. The advantage of using the chat room relies in instances where I might miss a detail (an unmentioned brand name, a typo in the price, etc.) which other users help with greatly ... perhaps providing insight toward a "historic moment" or something of the like. Requiring corroboration between a Word document and the slim chance someone mentioned something worthwhile in the chat room - an occurrence less likely due to these exclusionary factors - seems completely unnecessary.

Another reason why chat readouts help more than hurt? Pre-emptions. Remember how annoying premiere week ended up due to the Pope visiting for three days? Granted, that was national, but how many times this season alone have users experienced local pre-emptions due to governmental affairs, local disasters, weather prompts and the like? To prevent a user from truly keeping up with the show due to matters out of their control seems like a terrible side effect of this project's intent of "slimming down the chat by a handful of members".

This also exemplifies east coast bias in the chat room. I realize a majority of the moderators (myself included) live on the east coast, so we receive the program before the other time zones in the country (not to mention our international users such as brosa0 and Samhodkin). Don't live in the correct time zone? Can't find a feed? Too bad.

Friday's chat room consisted of nothing but FPG talk and what games could possibly appear as the show progressed; without that game to generate discussion, the chatroom remained relatively lifeless. For someone who proclaimed that the site is dying, a maneuver to make the chat room more exclusionary seems a bit ridiculous, and I fully disagree with the decision.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:44:45 AM by Torgo »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
The decision to have another non-readout day in chat doesn't irk me all that much. To go through with this the day before the next show airs does. At the very worst, an advanced warning for a future show would have been nice and would have opened the floor for anyone to defend or oppose the action. Breaking a promise to return to normal on Monday when it already happened this past Friday throws any kind of discussion out the window.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
I cosign with the above posters. Prizes, this is rather out-of-character for you, as from what I have seen you are not the kind of person who breaks promises without sufficient reason or goes back on her word.

The fact you have done these is alone not entirely noteworthy, although they remain somewhat disappointing. However, you are also someone who has noted that the site is dying, and (I believe) has attempted to steer the ship away from that particular iceberg. As Torgo noted...
Friday's chat room consisted of nothing but FPG talk and what games could possibly appear as the show progressed; without that game to generate discussion, the chatroom remained relatively lifeless. For someone who proclaimed that the site is dying, a maneuver to make the chat room more exclusionary seems a bit ridiculous,
Indeed. There is very little to discuss without a readout to spur discussion. All this is rather odd, as well, given that Prizes is one of the people who revitalized the Buy A Vowel boards some time ago.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:17:51 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:25:35 PM »
The decision to have another non-readout day in chat doesn't irk me all that much. To go through with this the day before the next show airs does. At the very worst, an advanced warning for a future show would have been nice and would have opened the floor for anyone to defend or oppose the action. Breaking a promise to return to normal on Monday when it already happened this past Friday throws any kind of discussion out the window.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I actually liked Non-Readout Day and wouldn't mind if it became an occasional thing...but not right away.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Please read my original post first before you attack me. Rather surprised at this reaction, not because of the no readouts again, but comprehension concerns.

By admin Chelsea's request of day/availability, who is expected to be in the chat that day.

Furthermore, here's a chat log from the 7th. Should be said on my end before you read, as Guint and I have discussed before, my idea of soon was to be around Thanksgiving day, for a time when there would be a fair share of people.

Me: That's cool. We can always try this again on a Monday, as to avoid the FPG statistical logjam. Would be happy to try one then with you in the chat, sooner than later.

Chelsea: I'm off on Mondays 90% of the time.

Me: Gotcha. So yeah, that'd make sense for the site as whole. I mean, obviously subject to change, based upon your schedule, but what about doing another one soon, when you can attend?
FWIW, I saved the log today, if you're interested, for future use (if at all) -link snip-

Chelsea: Any interest in doing a 2nd show in a row and doing it Monday?

Me: YES. Absolutely. We'd have adequate promo time then, as well.

Thrasher: As long as I remember, I will be in chat on Monday. And I'm setting multiple reminders, because I wanna be there.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »
Please read my original post first before you attack me. Rather surprised at this reaction, not because of the no readouts again, but comprehension concerns.
You are quite correct, madam. I should not have blamed you.

I humbly apologize for my rashness.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:27:45 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:10 AM »
No-readout day returning for Monday's show is 100% me. After getting both compliments and complaints about the first one, I wanted to see another play out, this one in person. Figured while the issue was still fresh. Didn't want time to elapse and "oh, hey, boom here it is again".  If there's criticism, I wanna hear it. If there's compliments or praise, I want to hear it.

The reason I'm so intrigued by the idea is it's the first *new* thing that's been tried around here in a while, and I like new ideas.  If there are things with the site that you'd like to see redone, or have shifted around, now would be a spectacular time to voice it. Preferably publcly, privately if you prefer  Nothing's sacred.

Also: If anyone here ever needs anything regarding the site, the fastest way is to email me or find me on social media.  chelseathrasher9@gmail.com, and social media is linked via my profile.  I'm increasing my involvement level first and foremost, but I'm still a workaholic who has an electric bill, rent, and car payment to pay for.

The "no readout" idea was an interesting one, remembering how the readout started in the first place, and I wanted to see it in it's actual implementation. 

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
And after mentioning that I would be in chat today, Time Warner promptly decided to drop internet coverage here for overe two hours.  I've been mobile only since right before the show. #%!(#%!

Two days without the readout is enough.  Any feedback, PM or email me.  I'm going to try very, very hard to make it in for a chat before week's end.  Sorry I only caught the first few people in chat before I lost internet service, but to everyone else, apologies and thanks.