Author Topic: The Prodigal Host (Or the Past, Present, and Future of FPG)  (Read 41225 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
The Prodigal Host (Or the Past, Present, and Future of FPG)
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
So yeah.  I've been away from Golden-Road.net for the past four weeks.  If you're a member of Buy a Vowel or if you're one of my Facebook friends, then you know that absolutely nothing has happened to me during the past month.  I wasn't sick, I wasn't in an accident, I didn't die, or any of that.  I simply stayed away from this site the entire time.  I didn't even so much as lurk here.

So why was I gone for so long?  Because I had finally grown sick of all of the f**kery that has been going on around here for a very long time.  I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I noticed that, during my absence, Guint pulled a Searcy/Capitano and quit this site for that very reason.  I don't blame him.  I was prepared to give a fiery and profanity-laced speech on December 16 and leave the site altogether.  Instead, I simply logged out and stayed away from everybody.  I'm actually glad that I took a four-week hiatus from this site to cool off because it prevented me from doing what Searcy/Capitano/Guint did, which I might have regretted later.  So, at least for now, I am still a member of G-R.net and still the FPG host.  That may change in the future, depending on my mood and the attitudes of other members.

I truly appreciate Prizes and Chelsea for promoting whammy007 to assistant FPG host/moderator during my sabbatical.  It assured the FPG players (except for me because I didn't submit any picks) that the game would proceed, even while I didn't.  But now that I have returned, we will continue the FPG as normal.  Scott will still contribute to this forum whenever necessary.

I have updated the FPG calendar.  As you can see, we will still have a total of 28 FPGs this season... but I have made the final two weeks of the regular season Play-Along games in order to make up for the December 18 game (which would have been a Play-Along) not taking place.  Since I didn't post any public announcement for that game, that might have prevented some players from not submitting picks.  Because of that, there is no reason for me to consider that a valid game.  Any picks submitted for the December 18 game have be discarded and that week's pot of $388,831 will be rolled over to this week's game, which will be a Play-Along.  May 20 will serve as our replacement Play-Along game.

One final note:  Torgo was the main reason why I stayed away from G-R.net for the past month.  Back on December 16, I un-trolled a troll message to deliver my honest and earnest opinion of his exemplary recapping this season.  His response to my praise was nothing short of meaningless and disrespectful to the point of slanderous.  I felt that there was no point in me coming back to a website where people would treat me and others like s**t for no reason at all.  That was why I took off for an entire month--to decide if I wanted to play Walk of Fame and give this site a second chance.  But if he thought that he could attack me personally without there being some repercussions, then he was wrong.  Effective immediately, he will be serving a four-game suspension from FPG.  For the longest time, I considered disqualifying him for the rest of the season upon my return, but I decided just an hour ago that punishment was excessive--especially when 1) everybody can recall that I did absolutely nothing when it came to cheating and alleged cheating, and 2) I found out that he also resigned his duties during my disappearance.  (Seriously, why did everything around here have to go to hell in a handbasket while I was away?!  And don't even get me started about last Friday's pricing game lineup.  I read the FPG recap a few minutes ago and I have to know what the f**k Sandler was smoking.  I don't think that has ever happened in FPG before.)  Anyway, Torgo may return to the FPG on Friday, February 12.

I have nothing more to say.  Game on... and watch yourselves.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
  • I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: The Prodigal Host (Or the Past, Present, and Future of FPG)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
Is it really fair to ban Torgo for 4 weeks from this game because of a feud between you two? You aren't exactly an unbiased party in these shenanigans. Decisions like this should be left up to Chelsea and the Associate Producer clan.

I understand your anger, but next time, you could've done us a favor and maybe told someone you wanted 4 weeks off to vent. You had a lot of us pretty nervous about what happened to you, in fact. (I personally was concerned about your health.)
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »
One final note:  Torgo was the main reason why I stayed away from G-R.net for the past month.  Back on December 16, I un-trolled a troll message to deliver my honest and earnest opinion of his exemplary recapping this season.

Quote from: The "earnest" opinion, per the 12/15/15 recap thread
You are the BEST recapper this site's ever had and you are also a success-hungry D.J.!

YOU'RE GOING TO SUCCEED, YOU GOD BLESSED HUMAN!

thank YOU!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Did I do my recap reply correctly?

His response to my praise was nothing short of meaningless and disrespectful to the point of slanderous.

Quote from: The Slander in Question, from the same recap
At least I get my late results out within 24 hours of the show airing. You took a whole weekend and continuously have someone else handle your dirty work. I would focus on making unfunny collusion references and holding vendettas against successful FPG players than trying to come at me with some hypocritical shade.

So, let's get this straight... you wrongfully accuse people of cheating in an online game, withhold the results, have had numerous members volley snide remarks about said behavior, but when I do it, it causes you to ragequit for a month?

God, you are a child.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
I'm sorry.

First of all, I'm glad that you're back, but leaving without no notice whatsoever to anyone was a poor move. I'm glad the sabbatical made you reconsider your position, but you abandoned the game. FPG is not like CSS in that you miss a couple of games and you can catch up. In FPG, you miss a couple of games the season is derailed. It's a good thing that Scott had the ability to jump in at a short moments notice or this would've been Season 9 of CSS all over again.

Second, after all the crap Torgo has received, both rightly and wrongly, over the last few months, I can't believe that you don't see how the way your post was constructed and worded that a large hint of sarcasm could be clearly detected. I'm happy to hear that your intent was to indeed praise, but you overpraised so much that it really didn't come off as sincere. Excuse both him, myself, and many other members who didn't read that post the way you had written it. I don't think Torgo should receive a suspension that long, if at all, since your praise post wasn't that clear and that, instead of clearing it up, you left a simple sentence and left. PMing Torgo probably would've cleared things up that instance.

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
Fireball,
Very happy to see you back, and hope all is well in your world.

I can totally relate to your absence. I left this site for over a year before deciding that I wanted to participate again.  After just a year away, things had clearly changed. And it's easy to dwell on how "worse" or "better" things are, and the ins and outs of personality differences.  But here's the thing: I still love the show, and very much enjoy chatting about it. And as long as I know there are others who share my passion for the show's history and future, I want to be part of the conversation.  I suspect you feel the same.

Taking a vacation from the site may be the best way to deal with the silliness of the extra-curricular activity which goes on here. But surround yourself with positives and keep those at the top of your mind.

I sincerely appreciate your work here.

Bob
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »
stuff

Torgo, it's enough....you need to go.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:40:23 PM »
Torgo, it's enough....you need to go.

All he asked was question to point out a possible hypocrisy. Is there something wrong with that?

Offline OneBidTris

• Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »
I find it funny that whenever Torgo does something, he always ends up getting punished. Whether or not he deserves it is a different matter, but this is something I need to get off my chest.

You can't just abandon the game for a whole month without telling anyone that you're taking a leave. You can't just up and leave your game and come back to it expecting everything to be normal again. I know you're angry about Torgo and all, but you can't suspend someone just because you're angry at them.

Frankly, it's disturbing that people would rather have someone just up and leave the game than at least saying goodbye. I really don't know what this says about the site.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
All he asked was question to point out a possible hypocrisy. Is there something wrong with that?

Is that all he did? Because I note he also called him a "child". Is he expecting a response after calling him a child?

Enough silly name-calling around here.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
I don't usually say much on this site other than the sports threads in Out of Left Field. But it's pretty silly how some of these threads basically become attack threads one way or another. But it is what it is, I guess.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
Is that all he did? Because I note he also called him a "child". Is he expecting a response after calling him a child?

Enough silly name-calling around here.

But no offense, the running off and abandoning a game is almost child-like behavior. If Fireball wanted 4 weeks off to rest from this, then just talk to Chelsea, ask for 4 weeks off, promote whammy007 and let it be. This is not how this should have been handled from beginning to end. 

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
One final note:  Torgo was the main reason why I stayed away from G-R.net for the past month.  Back on December 16, I un-trolled a troll message to deliver my honest and earnest opinion of his exemplary recapping this season. 

I really don't understand this. I think that if you polled the site a majority would have seen your post on 12/16 to be sarcasm/snark. It's hard to convey tone over text, but it did not seem genuine at first glance and to this day I for one didn't realize it was.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
This is ridiculous. You can't leave your job without telling your supervisor for a month and expect to still have it when you come back.

Also, you can't suspend someone from FPG for something completely unrelated to FPG. That's an abuse of power, and is, in fact, childish.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
Regardless of whatever decisions users make about how things are run and everything, I feel like we all need to treat everyone with respect. We need to stop the name calling, the rudeness and the bullying. The atmosphere here as of lately has turned very sour and poisonous and it doesn't feel friendly at all. The fact that I'm witnessing this sort of behaviour from moderators, not general members but moderators in charge here, is appalling. I don't really enjoy it here anymore due to all of this and sure, I could easily leave and abandon my presence here, but rather than do that I'd rather see things become more pleasant around here.