Author Topic: Question about the turntable  (Read 5066 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Question about the turntable
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
Like Tony, I preferred the green carpet and panel borders....As for the change, it could've been easily done in a day or two.  Like many others on our site, in spite of only being in grammar school then, I vividly remember the carpet colors "flip flopping" 4-5 times at the tail end of Season 20 (as those episodes aired out of sequence) before settling on red at the start of Season 21.  Carpet was red last week of May/1st 2 weeks of June 1992 before going back to green for third week of June (end of the school year for our district)....Red returned to the rug for the 4th week of June, before reverting to green for the rest of the summer....Being young and not understanding the concept of reruns and the "tape date" vs "air date" lag then, I remember thinking TPIR was filming in 2 different studios....

Another little known observation is that there were actually two different tones of green carpet. The first one was more of an avocado green that defined '70s style, and this was installed in March 1975. This changed to a somewhat brighter green more in touch with the '80s during the 1984 portion of Season 13. This means that the earlier "shag green" was around for three different main versions of the turntable walls.

And all you have to look at is the turntable wall changes between weeks two and three in 1972 (or more specifically, the fifth/sixth nighttime shows that taped the same day as the daytime's show premiere and the following weekend when week three's shows were taped) where the turntable pattern got its first makeover all in just four days off which proves how efficient the prop department worked.

With regards to being out of order, I remember with my foggiest childhood memories around the summer of 1988 when I was three as there where some episodes had Bob with dark hair, some with gray hair and the pink Pricedown Big Wheel dollar signs, and some with the new Super Ball! dollar signs. Being so young, I just was wondering why such "magical" things happen?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Question about the turntable
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:39 AM »
Thank you for the information about the first set change in September of 1972, and the two shades of green used on the carpet...Seems like the set went through a lot of changes at the start of Season 13...The carpet color and border color slight change...The more recognizable showcase podia, the pink borders around contesants' row, and the change in the leader board on the big wheel from the "sportstype" (similar to contestants' row) to "vane" (like the time readouts on the DeLorean in Back to the Future)....

You and I are about the same age, and I remember being utterly bewildered when Bob's hair first turned white in late 1987, then was dark for most of December (as reruns were aired from the previous season)... Bob had white hair for the rest of Season 16, before it went back to dark for a few weeks in July 1988 (Which really confused me because Bob's hair was white few weeks earlier when Ray Combs made a guest appearance to promote the return of Family Feud)....(Feud was already Price's lead-in by the last dark haired Bob reruns)....Same with the big wheel design and Temptation's color scheme (The Pink debuted around the same time as the Superball pattern of the big wheel) though it alternated back and forth several times during the end of the season and summer reruns....