Author Topic: 7894K - 04/06/17 Recap Thread (Socially Awesome Week III - Throwback Thursday)  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Today's show mimicked the lineup and some of the prizes (notably the GPs in Grand and one of the Showcases') from April 27th, 1983. Showcase #2 featured the three #UDECIDE votes.

SWITCHEROO - PL (4:34.68)
BARGAIN GAME - W (3:06.02)
CLOCK GAME - W (4:23.83)
TAKE TWO - W (3:49.76)
GRAND GAME - L (4:02.85)
CARD GAME - L (4:23.88)
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
Pretty Good Show And Lineup to use.
Good to Hear all those Classic Cues once again.
Bonus for the Show using the Classic Dig We Must For Both $1.00 Winners. That Made up for them not Using that for Decades Week Last Season.

Here's The Original Aired Episode on Youtube

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Here's The Original Aired Episode on Youtube

"I believe it was the last time we played [Switcheroo], a lady had two right out of five, and she decided to switch them around, and she switched around and won nothing, and we discovered that she had had the car right. She cut her wrists in the parking lot after the show."
THANKS BOB
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
I'd always assumed that hearing all the classic cues would contrast with the modern set. Damn, was I wrong. Everything sounded great, especially Walking (since they didn't lower the audio quality this time), and I loved the cues they used for the CC plugs. Proved (to me at least) that you don't need the models in afros and 70's shag on everything for that music to still work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:18:24 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Any episode that pays homage to the show's past and rich history in the ways we saw today is winner.  It would have been cool if they had put the New Card Game logo from 1983 on the Video Wall instead of Carey's Card Club and showed Barker's Bargain Bar from that year, but at least Drew gave it a shout out.

Can we have #tbt every Thursday?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:53:54 PM by JT »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
This was a good show. Hearing the classic cues and theme was awesome and they used the door and turntable designs from Decades week again. I thought they'd do more matching up prizes to modern counterparts and we'd see more clips from the original episode that used this lineup. It was also a little odd that Drew only said Bargain Game was Barker's Bargain Bar back then and not that it was the name of the game until after Bob retired. I also thought they'd choose a show that included Now or (and) Then and have the Then date be that show's airdate, although that likely would've made it way too easy or the products don't exist anymore.

There were a couple of games, Switcheroo and Grand Game that I definitely recall, that Drew went right into the product description rather than introducing the game first. It was especially odd for Grand Game because typically the dollar amount is scaled back to a dollar and the target price is shown before the products are described. I guess Drew got ahead of himself because he made a big deal about the products being the same ones used from the 1983 show.

I'd always assumed that hearing all the classic cues would contrast with the modern set. Damn, was I wrong. Everything sounded great, especially Walking (since they didn't lower the audio quality this time), and I loved the cues they used for the CC plugs. Proved (to me at least) that you don't need the models in afros and 70's shag on everything for that music to still work.
I agree to a point, although one cue I thought sounded off was the spinning a dollar cue. To me it felt lacking with the modern set.

Online GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
I also enjoyed hearing the classic cues (especially the one played for the Miata), and if I recall correctly, most of them were played at the times and for the types of prizes they usually were back in the day. A notable exception for me was the cue played for the action cameras; that cue wasn't usually played for an item up for bids if I'm remembering accurately.

Great to see the clip of Bob and his great contestant interaction. I also liked seeing the Pontiac sportscar. :)

Too bad on Switcheroo.

I found it interesting that even though the top prizes in other older cash games (Plinko and Punch-A-Bunch) have been raised since 1983, the one in Grand Game hasn't. I wonder why not.  $10K doesn't go nearly as far today as it did then. :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:21:38 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Whoa. WHOA!

I have to hand it to them for finally, if just once and never to be done again, putting together an entire show that uses nothing but classic cues.

And you know what? They didn't sound out of place at all! In fact, it was like a piece of the puzzle that's been missing for so long was finally put back in place, and it made the show seem complete to me for the first time in ages.

Please, Mike, give us more of this! We don't even have to have entire shows loaded with the classics. Just sprinkle a few in each day here and there to give us a taste, and that will more than suffice! I need my once-a-week dose of Splendido and the MG-HS theme/cue! :P

Not only was the show loaded from top to bottom with classic cues, but to go so far as to use the original versions of Walking and the main theme all throughout the show? I don't know about y'all, but I got goosebumps, man. It was especially refreshing to hear the original Walking after each "come on down" and one bid. At least to me, it sounds far better than the '07 version.

As for the show itself, it was fun.

I watched the '83 episode first thanks to those of you who linked to it, and it was really cool drawing comparisons between the two different implementations of the show. From what I could tell, it seems a fair amount of the cues from that episode were used today -- some in the exact same place, which was quite nifty!

Something of note: a pack Dentyne Ice costs a dollar more than it did in 1983. I find that both intriguing and somewhat depressing.

Other than the lineup fitting within current time restraints, I can't see any particular reason for choosing this episode. However, I prefer it be that way. Nothing over-the-top was done to try to emulate a famous moment from the past/notable contestant incidents. It was simply the show paying homage to a different era of its television life and nothing more.

That being said, the '83 episode is worth watching, if for no other reason than to hear Bob's banter.

"I believe it was the last time we played [Switcheroo], a lady had two right out of five, and she decided to switch them around, and she switched around and won nothing, and we discovered that she had had the car right. She cut her wrists in the parking lot after the show."
THANKS BOB

Bob must have been feeling especially morbid this day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:13:32 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm going to be in the very, very small minority with this.

I like the old cues, but MAN they felt very out-of-place on this show.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I was really happy Dawn won her showcase at the end.  She got stuck with an EVIL Grand Game setup.  She thought rice for the last pick, and I thought rice too.  I screamed at the TV when the rice was over $3.50.  I said, "WHAT?!  Oh REALLY?!"  I was also happy she gained that $1,000 back at the wheel.

When you watched Grand Game peeps, who picked the rice?

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
I'm going to be in the very, very small minority with this.

I like the old cues, but MAN they felt very out-of-place on this show.

You aren't alone. The classic theme sounded a bit weak after hearing the updated one now for 10 years.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Funny that the rice was the same product that caused Grand Game to be lost as it was back in '83. At least the first time around, the contestant walked away with $100. And except for the Clock Game win (and no DSW this time either!), the results were the same.

Except for the small snippet of the 2007 TPIR theme when returning from commercial in the Showcase round, it was all classic cues, which is how a throwback episode should be done. Kudos for bringing back the original versions of the theme, Walking and Dig We Must, even though Drew had to stand in for Bob. Although even in this show, there were some discrepancies in the presentation: For example, the calldown window wasn't added until sometime in Season 17, and the closed captioning plugs have only been around since at least '99. Otherwise, excellent show all around!