Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 116724 times)

Offline GoodStrategy

• Outside in Line
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
Regarding their "must use your legal name" policy, newbielink:http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,27686.msg452316.html [nonactive] a discussion from a few years back on how it would apply to transgender people who haven't legally changed their name.

Online pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
From that link:

Well now I’m a bit curious to know what would happen if I was on the show, because I go by my middle name in everyday life and always have.

Few people know or call me by my first name (even my own mother forgets it for legal purposes sometimes and I have to remind her), so I wouldn’t really want it to be on my name tag.

Price uses the legal first name as shown on an official ID. In addition to receiving a name tag that's your given first name, its always the legal full name as shown. That's why you saw few Pats and mostly Patricks and Patricias (or as Bob often pronounced it, PA-TRISH-CEEYA) for example.

There are two memorable episodes with this first/middle name episodes, in addition to a few other instances not mentioned. First, there was the Muriel/Colleen episode the day after the "microphone elbow" episode early in Season 11. She ended up receiving a Muriel/Colleen nametag during the SCSD. Bob even took it so far that in addition to calling other contestants by their middle names, he even called the show "The Right Is Price". Also, on the Bob Barker's 90th birthday episode, there was the Evelyn/Gail issue, and oddly that was the only contestant that Bob itself has ever called to Come on Down. Just like the show itself, the recap officially goes by the given first name on the contestant.

Personally, this affects myself as well since I've gone by my middle name since high school, but from what I've observed is that Drew isn't as much of a teaser with that as Bob was. I'd make my SCSD shout out to Gail and Colleen though as a tribute though.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
Bob mentioned on a May 1980 episode that was just linked to in the video collection section, that Roger had informed him before the show that they'd given away 25 million dollars worth of cash and prizes up to that date about 8 seasons into the show. Anyone have an estimate of how much they'd have given away now in 2021? I'd be curious. Has to be nearing the billion dollar mark by now if not over it I'd think, but that might be wrong.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #453 on: April 08, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
When I became keeper of the stats in season 36, one question I would naturally get is "How much has the show given away over the years?" And because I didn't have numbers for the first 30-some years of the show, I had no idea. I knew that in season 36, the show awarded $12,460,048 in cash and prizes (not including consolation prizes) and that the show didn't award nearly that much in season one, so I took a really rough guess and made "more than $250,000,000" the official company line throughout the early 2010s. The true total was probably higher, but that felt safe.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Please maintain 6 feet distance.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #454 on: April 08, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »
I got bored and played around on the TIPRSTATS website.  (I hope that's not a dirty word in these parts!!)

Seasons 29-49 inclusive have a total winning amount of a little more than $254 Million. 

We might assume that Seasons 1 - 28 gave away $200 Million (It's a bit of a stretch, given inflation and all.  Just play along...).

If you add in the specials, you could reasonably estimate that Price has given away around $500 Million to date.

That's a pretty rough estimate, but I feel like I'm at least in the right neighborhood.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.