Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254776 times)

Offline GoodStrategy

• Outside in Line
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
Regarding their "must use your legal name" policy, newbielink:http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,27686.msg452316.html [nonactive] a discussion from a few years back on how it would apply to transgender people who haven't legally changed their name.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
From that link:

Well now I’m a bit curious to know what would happen if I was on the show, because I go by my middle name in everyday life and always have.

Few people know or call me by my first name (even my own mother forgets it for legal purposes sometimes and I have to remind her), so I wouldn’t really want it to be on my name tag.

Price uses the legal first name as shown on an official ID. In addition to receiving a name tag that's your given first name, its always the legal full name as shown. That's why you saw few Pats and mostly Patricks and Patricias (or as Bob often pronounced it, PA-TRISH-CEEYA) for example.

There are two memorable episodes with this first/middle name episodes, in addition to a few other instances not mentioned. First, there was the Muriel/Colleen episode the day after the "microphone elbow" episode early in Season 11. She ended up receiving a Muriel/Colleen nametag during the SCSD. Bob even took it so far that in addition to calling other contestants by their middle names, he even called the show "The Right Is Price". Also, on the Bob Barker's 90th birthday episode, there was the Evelyn/Gail issue, and oddly that was the only contestant that Bob itself has ever called to Come on Down. Just like the show itself, the recap officially goes by the given first name on the contestant.

Personally, this affects myself as well since I've gone by my middle name since high school, but from what I've observed is that Drew isn't as much of a teaser with that as Bob was. I'd make my SCSD shout out to Gail and Colleen though as a tribute though.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
Bob mentioned on a May 1980 episode that was just linked to in the video collection section, that Roger had informed him before the show that they'd given away 25 million dollars worth of cash and prizes up to that date about 8 seasons into the show. Anyone have an estimate of how much they'd have given away now in 2021? I'd be curious. Has to be nearing the billion dollar mark by now if not over it I'd think, but that might be wrong.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #453 on: April 08, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
When I became keeper of the stats in season 36, one question I would naturally get is "How much has the show given away over the years?" And because I didn't have numbers for the first 30-some years of the show, I had no idea. I knew that in season 36, the show awarded $12,460,048 in cash and prizes (not including consolation prizes) and that the show didn't award nearly that much in season one, so I took a really rough guess and made "more than $250,000,000" the official company line throughout the early 2010s. The true total was probably higher, but that felt safe.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #454 on: April 08, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »
I got bored and played around on the TIPRSTATS website.  (I hope that's not a dirty word in these parts!!)

Seasons 29-49 inclusive have a total winning amount of a little more than $254 Million. 

We might assume that Seasons 1 - 28 gave away $200 Million (It's a bit of a stretch, given inflation and all.  Just play along...).

If you add in the specials, you could reasonably estimate that Price has given away around $500 Million to date.

That's a pretty rough estimate, but I feel like I'm at least in the right neighborhood.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Mike_Tennant

• Outside in Line
« Reply #455 on: June 08, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »
I've noticed a few times in the Barker episodes on Pluto that when they give away a bar of gold, Johnny's copy will say something like "Retail value determined at the close of business on the day of taping." Unless the show was taped after the close of business, which I don't think it normally was, how did the staff determine the price to announce on air? Did they use the price from the previous day? If so, why not just say that instead?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #456 on: June 08, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
I've noticed a few times in the Barker episodes on Pluto that when they give away a bar of gold, Johnny's copy will say something like "Retail value determined at the close of business on the day of taping." Unless the show was taped after the close of business, which I don't think it normally was, how did the staff determine the price to announce on air? Did they use the price from the previous day? If so, why not just say that instead?

Assuming "business" means the NYSE, business closed at 4:00 Eastern, which is 1:00 Pacific.  I don't think there's anything unusual about that at all.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Mike_Tennant

• Outside in Line
« Reply #457 on: June 08, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »
Assuming "business" means the NYSE, business closed at 4:00 Eastern, which is 1:00 Pacific.  I don't think there's anything unusual about that at all.
Oh, yeah. I wasn't thinking about that, obviously. Thanks.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #458 on: June 21, 2021, 10:48:31 PM »
It gets used so rarely of course, but I've always wondered if the Plinko stick is the same exact one that has been around since day one of Plinko. I know it looks the same, but hard to tell when it's not seen very often.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #459 on: June 23, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
In Punch-a-Bunch, is there someone offstage cueing Bob/Drew as to which hole to reveal next, or is it up to them to remember the correct order? I can't recall either one ever revealing the wrong hole, but it seems like it would be difficult to remember with so much else going on...

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #460 on: June 23, 2021, 04:08:03 PM »
Quote from: SamJ93
In Punch-a-Bunch, is there someone offstage cueing Bob/Drew as to which hole to reveal next, or is it up to them to remember the correct order? I can't recall either one ever revealing the wrong hole, but it seems like it would be difficult to remember with so much else going on...

Many times over the years, Bob and Drew both can be seen asking someone off-camera which hole was next if they did not remember.  Sometimes it was presumably a production staff member (*ahem* Scott *cough*), and sometimes it was one of the models.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #461 on: June 23, 2021, 04:18:50 PM »
Many times over the years, Bob and Drew both can be seen asking someone off-camera which hole was next if they did not remember.  Sometimes it was presumably a production staff member (*ahem* Scott *cough*), and sometimes it was one of the models.

The reason the model stays by the $10,000/$25,000 bill for the entire game is to be the person keeping track of the order in which the holes were punched. When I was there, I also kept track in case both parties forgot (a practice that I assume continues today), but if the host forgets the order, he turns to the model for the reminder.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #462 on: June 23, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
I even remember a time where Bob and Janice got into a lengthy discussion mid-game about how the Second Chance slips worked in the game. Punch a Bunch is surprisingly complex!

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #463 on: June 24, 2021, 02:29:39 PM »
I even remember a time where Bob and Janice got into a lengthy discussion mid-game about how the Second Chance slips worked in the game. Punch a Bunch is surprisingly complex!
Or, at least it WAS complex. The second change slips disappeared from the game more than 10 years ago.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #464 on: June 25, 2021, 11:31:46 AM »
Hello

In the game 10 chances. Do the constants really have 10 seconds to write down their choices ?  I remember on an few shows Bob will say "Hurry, you have 10 seconds or you will lose your turn"