Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 268490 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 13, 2024, 02:19:11 PM »
This season has 188 show?

I assume there's been two episodes tacked onto the end to make up for the two that were scrapped in December.  I know from someone who was at the July 4 taping that it has a different production number than the one shown on the original schedule, so there's obviously been some sort of change to the final week.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GasMoney09721007

• Outside in Line
« Reply #691 on: May 23, 2024, 12:24:04 PM »
At this point, have all (active) pricing games been played in prime time at least once?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #692 on: May 23, 2024, 01:48:43 PM »
I think we're just missing Check Game & Stack The Deck
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #693 on: May 23, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
Wild prediction: Check Game will be played tonight as the game with the special twist. Some extra bonus, like 10 times the value of the check, will be given to the contestant if their total falls between $8,900 and $9,000.

Offline Pricefan1989

• Outside in Line
  • Come On Down! Your The Next Contestant On TPIR!
« Reply #694 on: May 24, 2024, 09:36:03 PM »
I was wondering, when Ice Cream or other perishables are used are they empty or do they have there continence inside?  If they are not empty how does it not melt under the studio lights?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #695 on: May 24, 2024, 11:36:31 PM »
Grocery product props are empty boxes.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Pricefan1989

• Outside in Line
  • Come On Down! Your The Next Contestant On TPIR!
« Reply #696 on: May 25, 2024, 12:11:54 AM »
Grocery product props are empty boxes.
Thanks for the information

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #697 on: May 25, 2024, 03:10:32 AM »
I should clarify that grocery item boxes are generally only empty when they need to be (for example, when the product is frozen). If it's something like a box of cereal or a box of fruit snacks or pretty much anything shelf stable, then the food is still inside the package -- there's no sense in going to the extra effort of taking out the contents and trying to reseal the container to make it look like it's closed.

On rare occasion, Drew would take a grocery item off the game and give it to the contestant after a memorable win or loss. At which point I would have to go to the contestant as they sat in the "winners' seats" to the side and inform them that they were welcome to keep the grocery item as a souvenir, but DO NOT eat the contents, as they had expired.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #698 on: May 25, 2024, 07:29:03 AM »
Scott, you just reminded me of a playing of Hi Lo from season 38 or season 39 where Drew opened Pop Tarts and ate them during the game. Were people backstage having a field day during that? :)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2024, 11:20:35 PM »
I would have to go to the contestant as they sat in the "winners' seats" to the side and inform them that they were welcome to keep the grocery item as a souvenir, but DO NOT eat the contents, as they had expired.

I wonder how long they kept the grocery item!

Reminds me of a time, a long time ago, when I attended a talk which featured a prominent cartoonist in conversation with an interviewer.  Both participants had a bottle of water.  At the end of the talk, after the participants had left the stage, I noticed the bottles were still there.  I took the cartoonist's bottle, which still had some water in it, as a souvenir.  I kept it in the refrigerator for a few days, but decided it was taking up too much space so I eventually dumped the water and got rid of the bottle but kept the label and bottlecap.  Still have them today.

Depending on what the grocery item was, maybe some of the contestants did the same thing.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #700 on: May 28, 2024, 04:55:21 PM »
I wonder how long they kept the grocery item!

Suspecting that may vary, since it would be more obvious if the product got a re-design, or changed sizes or similar that they were using old things.  Some brands seem to do that far more often than others.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #701 on: May 28, 2024, 11:52:06 PM »
In the original version of “Barker’s Bargain Bar”, was there a button to control the trilons activated by the model’s hand movement, or was it controlled offstage?
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #702 on: May 29, 2024, 07:16:17 AM »
I hope they've moved on to something more modern, but here's a picture of the original controller.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #703 on: May 29, 2024, 02:46:38 PM »
In the original version of “Barker’s Bargain Bar”, was there a button to control the trilons activated by the model’s hand movement, or was it controlled offstage?

I'm fairly certain that it was controlled offstage and the models only pretended they were pressing buttons on the set.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #704 on: May 29, 2024, 03:26:28 PM »
i'm pretty sure i saw a blooper somewhere where the trilons DIDN'T work, even when the model pressed the button... so they COULD have been controlled on stage