Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 254576 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 10, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
Are there any videos anywhere of a third spinner spinning again despite being in the lead trying to get the dollar?

No, because if they don't get a dollar on their first spin, the Showcase Showdown ends immediately.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #481 on: October 10, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »
No, because if they don't get a dollar on their first spin, the Showcase Showdown ends immediately.
I know, but Bob would say if the 3rd spinner took the lead (without the 1st 2 having gone over) "You don't want to spin again, do you?", which nobody (that I saw) ever did, but people on here have said it did and I was wondering if there was a video.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #482 on: October 10, 2021, 04:40:50 PM »
I know, but Bob would say if the 3rd spinner took the lead (without the 1st 2 having gone over) "You don't want to spin again, do you?", which nobody (that I saw) ever did, but people on here have said it did and I was wondering if there was a video.

I think that's cliche or whatever.  Typically, Dig We Must starts playing a tad bit before Bob would ask.  "You don't want to spin again, do you?  No, I'm good.  Nooooo!"  That's pretty much what happens.  Plus, outside of a spin-off, it's rare in this instance since the score to beat is usually a moderate to above average score (i.e. 50 cents).  No one's spinning again when they've clinched a spot in the showcase.

Dylan, I think you might be mistaken [spinning third for a dollar] for people that may have spun if the third spinner tied the leader on his or her first spin.  That has actually happened, but it's usually a low score (maybe 35 cents or less).  The odds to get a dollar are still low with a risk to go over (which is also slim depending on what the spinner landed on first).  However, the odds to go for the win over taking a chance at a one-shot spinoff are better if there's a tie with a low score.

As mentioned, it's over when the third spinner gets a leading score.  The object of the SCSD is for the participants to get closest to $1.00 without going over.  While $11,000 (now $26,000) is nice, it's still a bonus within that segment
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #483 on: October 10, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »

I think that's cliche or whatever.  Typically, Dig We Must starts playing a tad bit before Bob would ask.  "You don't want to spin again, do you?  No, I'm good.  Nooooo!"  That's pretty much what happens.  Plus, outside of a spin-off, it's rare in this instance since the score to beat is usually a moderate to above average score (i.e. 50 cents).  No one's spinning again when they've clinched a spot in the showcase.
You're right about that. Although somebody somewhere here did state that somebody did spin again despite being the last spinner having taken the lead to try to get the $1 and went over.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #484 on: October 10, 2021, 09:30:05 PM »

Fair point.  I misread the question.  My bad.

As mentioned, it's over when the third spinner gets a leading score.  The object of the SCSD is for the participants to get closest to $1.00 without going over.  While $11,000 (now $26,000) is nice, it's still a bonus within that segment

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is wrong -- the goal of the Showcase Showdown is certainly to determine who goes to the Showcase, but I don't think there's a rule that says the third contestant can't spin twice if them going over would still result in someone winning.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2021, 12:09:18 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is wrong -- the goal of the Showcase Showdown is certainly to determine who goes to the Showcase, but I don't think there's a rule that says the third contestant can't spin twice if them going over would still result in someone winning.
You're right on that. Drew doesn't ask because it would be mind-numbingly stupid to do that, but Bob would usually prompt the 3rd contestant to spin again, but nobody that I saw ever did. I do wonder what Drew's reaction would be if somebody made the mind-numbingly stupid decision to spin again despite being the 3rd spinner and having already taken the lead.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2021, 06:34:52 AM »

FWIW, I initially was in the middle of typing up the same thing as a response before I reread and realized I had read the question wrong and didn’t actually know the answer.

I do wonder what Drew's reaction would be if somebody made the mind-numbingly stupid decision to spin again despite being the 3rd spinner and having already taken the lead.

I can’t see Drew letting somebody throw away a guarantee in the showcase for a 1-in-20 shot at $1,000 without an “uh, are you SURE?”, but if the rules allow for it I imagine his hands might be tied as a host.

For example, he can’t ask somebody who bids $1 under somebody else in Contestants Row if they’re sure they want to do that since he could potentially cost them $500 if they’re right. (I was in studio when it happened and it caused a stopdown, and Drew had to explain to the audience why he wasn’t allowed to try to talk her out of it.) Excessive persuasion might change the winner.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GoodStrategy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #487 on: October 11, 2021, 09:50:19 AM »
IIRC the 3rd spinner is not allowed to spin again only if both previous contestants went over (and that's because you'd have the possibility of no one from that set of three qualifying for the Showcase). If at least one of them didn't went over, I don't believe it is against the rules for 3rd to spin again (although if he or she has beaten both previous spinners it'd be a stupid play of course).

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2021, 09:04:12 AM »
While we talk about "Showcase Showdown" oddities (3rd spinner spinning again after beating the leader, voluntarily spinning again on 75), we've never talked about staying on an unusually low number before. Barring instances where the 1st and 2nd spinners either both went over (meaning the 3rd spinner is only spinning to try to get the $1) or one or both had a low score such as 35, meaning the 3rd spinner only needed 40 to win, what's the lowest anybody has ever stayed on? I've seen 2 instances of somebody staying on 40, but has anybody stayed lower than that before, or is 40 the lowest anybody has ever stayed on?

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #489 on: October 26, 2021, 04:49:57 PM »
I've been on a kick of watching old episodes again. I looked around and didn't see anything about this, although I thought it had been discussed before. When did Bob stop chatting with the audience/contestants at the top of the show when he came out? I know it was sometime in the later 90s. I guess they made him stop to allow more commercial time? I always enjoyed his banter; hated how he rushed straight to the first IUFB in later years.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline gameshowfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
I started watching in the early-to-mid '90s, and I never saw an ep. with opening chat (I remember seeing the debut of Barker's Markers in 1994 in first-run).  So it may have been earlier than the '90s.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 04:19:37 PM by gameshowfan »

Offline actpir

• Outside in Line
« Reply #491 on: November 30, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »
Hi, everyone. This is actpir.

I have a question that I would like to ask regarding "The Price is Right: Live!". Moderators, if this is not the appropriate place to ask a question about the traveling version of the show, please move this post to the appropriate place.

TPIR: Live! is scheduled to come to my area in Spring 2022. I am thinking about going. However, I do have a question about being selected to 'come on down'.

Silly question, but if by any chance I am selected to 'come on down' for any segment of the live show (one bid, pricing game, SCSD, SC, etc.) will this affect my eligibility for appearing on a televised game show? In other words, will I have to wait a certain period of time after appearing on TPIR: Live! before I can appear on another game show?

Thank you for your answers.

- actpir
First, Wheel of Fortune (Season 37, 08/03/2020) - Now, will I get the chance to "Come on Down"?

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #492 on: November 30, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
You don’t lose your eligibility for televised Price, or any other game show for that matter.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #493 on: November 30, 2021, 10:09:41 PM »
Can we revise the General Questions section about GSN and the Pluto TV Bob Barker TPiR channel?

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #494 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:39 PM »
Is there a video clip anywhere of Stephen's painful Punch-a-Bunch bailout with $1,500 and then missing out on the $10,000 from October 17, 2002?