Author Topic: New blurb with GSN president about vintage TPiR  (Read 6603 times)

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: New blurb with GSN president about vintage TPiR
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »

Axl wrote:
Can CBS air any TPiR episode it wants?

That's a question for the CBS Business Affairs Unit.

In view of the Network's revenue participation on the show, its veto power over airing of old episodes on GSN, and how CBS has already rebroadcast vintage episodes, it appears that CBS is more than simply a "client" in its relationship with Fremantle. Also, regardless of whether CBS airs a new or old episode of the show, Fremantle will collect a licensing fee.

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »
Plus, Bob has veto power over any episode which has any fur coats.

Speaking of which...what would happen to Bob's ban on fur coat episodes after his death? I imagine that Bob could set up some Bob Barker Foundation which would be able to veto those episodes in his absence.

Offline Sizeman

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

wvoutlaw2002 wrote:
I imagine that Bob could set up some Bob Barker Foundation which would be able to veto those episodes in his absence.

Perhaps the DJ&T Foundation could do this, but they aren't responsible for animal protection per se. They assist organizations and humane societies to keep costs down, "helping to control the pet population".

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 64 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »

wvoutlaw2002 wrote:
Plus, Bob has veto power over any episode which has any fur coats.

Which is why episode no. 1 won't ever be aired again or probably won't appear on the DVD set. (The first item up for bids was a fur.)
Bureaucracy is cutting the red tape lengthwise.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »

Ccook wrote:
Which is why episode no. 1 won't ever be aired again or probably won't appear on the DVD set. (The first item up for bids was a fur.)

That's not necessarily true.  Bob's fur ban prevented GSN from airing any episodes with furs, and subsequently the '70s syndie version.  That's not to say it would ban fur episodes from being in the DVD release.

Although I'm wondering if Bob will still have the fur-ban ability after his retirment...
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. Itís the game, stupid! (Itís about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »
As I've suggested before, it would be nice if they aired all the fur episodes with a disclaimer, and included URL's for a few animal rights' sites in it.

Instead of trying to bury television history, use it as an oppotunity to educate people and promote causes that are near and dear to Bob.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »

Madonna wrote:
Instead of trying to bury television history, use it as an oppotunity to educate people and promote causes that are near and dear to Bob.

That's a very reasonable solution.  The last two "volumes" of Looney Tunes DVD releases have included uncut cartoons with certain offensive elements, but they added a very prominent disclaimer that runs along with the FBI warning every time the disc is played.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Thank you. I've definitely been thinking about (and keeping my fingers crossed that someone with some say would jump on) the "disclaimer" idea for a few years now.

I mean, I am sensetive to Bob's feelings on the matter. Don't get me wrong there.

But, for some time, I've thought "Furs or not, those are pieces of television history. Furs were frequently offered before 1982. It's a shame to bury them."

So, I tried to think of a win-win situation.

Heavily editing the episodes? Wouldn't work.

Then the disclaimer idea popped into my head. A way to air the episodes, where Bob can not only speak his mind on the show's former practice, but use it as a chance to promote his causes.

We get the episodes, Bob gets to promote an important cause. Everyone wins.

Now, if someone can present the idea to Bob himself.....
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.