Author Topic: Is it time to give HYO another try?  (Read 124937 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Is it time to give HYO another try?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
This brings up a very interesting point: can I use the TPIR recaps as my "source" when assembling scripts?

Yes, though it's way more fun to find your own prizes.

Regarding deadlines- they absolutely are necessary for the interest of keeping shows moving. Especially when there's a backlog of hosts waiting to go, having shows held up because people take three days to respond is unfair for those waiting. I agree that 12 hours is perhaps too short- not everyone is able to log on so often- but 24 is fair. Everyone should be able to log on to the site at least once a day. Regarding Renty's comment about everyone being able to use the site on smartphones- this site isn't exactly well optimized for them, especially on Android... and Tapatalk support for the site broke a while ago. (Chelsea, can you fix this?)

I don't know if we need a probationary period for playing games, but there definitely should be one for hosting. At a minimum, any prospective hosts should have played a few games before even attempting to host one. Experienced hosts don't necessarily need to submit a script for approval if they have run error-free shows in the past, but there should always be one available to the section moderator on demand. If the section moderator wants to host a show, they should have one available to an alternate moderator.

I'm not opposed to bringing it back. I would even help run it and approve scripts. I would wait until the summer hiatus to reboot the section, though, as a special event... try it over the summer, and if there seems to be interest, keep it going into the fall. Since there seem to be several people interested, send a script for review to my PM box and we'll go from there. Note that sending a script does not guarantee you will necessarily host... I mostly want to gauge possible interest before committing to bringing the section back.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 01:44:13 AM »
When I hosted my shows, with the exception of one episode, I almost always used prizes taken directly from the show

Yeah, I never did see them use that bag of rubber bands with the price on it. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 05:15:26 PM »
One more thing: I'd like to get some opinions on the best program to use for creating graphics. I have a few in mind, but I'd like to get a bigger selection before I make a decision. Thanks!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
One more thing: I'd like to get some opinions on the best program to use for creating graphics. I have a few in mind, but I'd like to get a bigger selection before I make a decision. Thanks!

If you’re really good with PowerPoint, that might be a good starting point.  I used Microsoft Paint with my shows, but I’d probably go with PP now given how much experience I have with it.  You can create some pretty cool stuff if you know what you’re doing!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
I apologize for the bump, but I would like to ask: has any progress has been made with regards to HYO? I appreciate it.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:44 AM »
It's only been a week since the last post. Hardly a bump. Maybe just a nudge. :)

I really hope so, since I'd really love to make use of my newly-created PowerPoint graphics. (Thanks, PtR! Never knew what PowerPoint could pull off!)

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
No update yet, sorry. Stay tuned :)

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
It's only been a week since the last post. Hardly a bump. Maybe just a nudge. :)

I really hope so, since I'd really love to make use of my newly-created PowerPoint graphics. (Thanks, PtR! Never knew what PowerPoint could pull off!)

In case you're wondering what it looks like when someone posts just to post, here's a good example. DarkShockBro's question was directed at the mods, who are the only ones who can reasonably answer it; the reply I quoted adds absolutely nothing to the discussion, but does have shameless self-promotion for something that isn't confirmed to definitely even be happening (yet).

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »
Huh?

I see nothing wrong here.  Feel free to ‘report to moderator’ if you do, but otherwise, let’s not call out others.  We’ll take care of any matter that needs to be addressed in the appropriate manner.

With regards to the status of HYO, simply stay tuned, as CU said.  We’re all busy in our own worlds right now, but the discussion certainly isn’t dead. :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
In case you're wondering what it looks like when someone posts just to post, here's a good example. DarkShockBro's question was directed at the mods, who are the only ones who can reasonably answer it; the reply I quoted adds absolutely nothing to the discussion, but does have shameless self-promotion for something that isn't confirmed to definitely even be happening (yet).

I was simply stating that I still have interest in a new HYO. Additionally, I thanked PayingTheRent for his recommendation of PowerPoint, which has been very helpful. I don't believe I did anything wrong.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
It's back... at least for the 2019 summer hiatus. Check it out! :)